Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Another day at the Range: Testing the .25-06 & .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I was under the impression that Savage made their barrels inhouse. In fact I watched a tv program (American Rifleman) that showed them making barrels for the 110/111/10/11/112 series inhouse. It showed them rifling and straightening them. What gives? Do Savage make their own barrels or not? Is my information incorrect or what?
I don't know, Bear.

A few years (8-10?) ago at SHOT I stopped at the ER Shaw booth to discuss a new bbl for my Savage .223 (it has a 1/12 that only shoots one load well). The tech asked me why I wanted one, and then proceeded to tell me they made barrels for Savage. Hmm. So I went to the Savage booth to discuss the same issue and they also admitted that they "get barrels" from ER Shaw.

Maybe I was given wrong info, but because it came from both sources I have taken it to be true. Perhaps Shaw makes certain bbls for Savage? Or maybe they no longer make them?

But I have not seen Shaw making the Savage barrels with my own eyes.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I have not worked much with the 25-06. Would the twist rate of th 25-06 barrel cause the groupings to expand with your powder / bullet weight?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I don't know, Bear.

A few years (8-10?) ago at SHOT I stopped at the ER Shaw booth to discuss a new bbl for my Savage .223 (it has a 1/12 that only shoots one load well). The tech asked me why I wanted one, and then proceeded to tell me they made barrels for Savage. Hmm. So I went to the Savage booth to discuss the same issue and they also admitted that they "get barrels" from ER Shaw.

Maybe I was given wrong info, but because it came from both sources I have taken it to be true. Perhaps Shaw makes certain bbls for Savage? Or maybe they no longer make them?

But I have not seen Shaw making the Savage barrels with my own eyes.
I think ER Shaw used to make some barrels for Savage,but I think they do them in house today. I also saw the show the Stalkingbear was talking about and it showed them making barrels in house.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I have not worked much with the 25-06. Would the twist rate of th 25-06 barrel cause the groupings to expand with your powder / bullet weight?
The twist rate can affect your groups very much so. But my twist is 1-10 on this gun,and it should shoot up to 120gr bullets.

Some barrels have a sweet spot and they just prefer a certain weight or style of bullet shot through them,but most of my problem is the tooling marks inside the bore.It is just ripping the copper jacket apart,and copper fouling the barrel really bad.The end results are bad groups.
It shoots 100gr Sierra bullets really good,but they are not the only bullet that I like to shoot.

I'm going to clean the crap out of it this weekend,and I have a bunch of different powder and bullet combo's to load up,so maybe I'll get lucky and find something that will shoot the way I know this gun should.
I might also try some of those Tubb's Final Finish bullets before I yank this barrel off the action,and change it out.

I'd really hate to have to change a barrel on a new gun!