Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Angeles Range Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Angeles Range Today

Another FTF member (he can jump in with his name if he wants to) and I have Pm'd over the last few months about getting together to do some shooting. Today was the day. Almost had a rain delay, but it ended up being a beautiful day.

We met up at the Angeles Range just outside Los Angeles around 9am. Some other friends and members of another Gun Forum I am active with showed up too.

He brought some beautiful guns but his Husqvarna 7mm Mag was my fav. Everything anyone could ever want in a magnum hunting rifle. And boy did it shoot! One group was just over 1/2" (5 shots at 100yds). I loved it and could have shot it all day and left everything else in the cases.

I brought 3 rifles today. A Springfield Armory NM M1A built by Ronnie Morris back in the 80's, LRB M25 with an I.O.R. scope, and one of my sporterized 1917 Enfields (I did a stock swap between two of my 1917's and needed to fire this one in its new stock.) I guess I'll post pics of those in a reply to this, due to the 4 pic limit.

My friend Bob only brought his Savage 10FP in .308Win. I lapped his rings and remounted his Leupold 4-12 Rifleman before we started shooting.

This rifle proves how important the right ammo is. With several different .308Win loads it turned in 1.5" to 4" groups at 100yds (5 shots). But when I tried it with some Black Hills Match 175gr it did this. (Bob does not have any interest in hand loading, so I guess I'll be ordering him a few cases of BHM 175.)

My other friend Ron also only brought along one rifle today, his Savage 12FVSS, also in .308Win. It has an I.O.R. 6-24x50 and a Bell and Carlson stock. He has about 100 rifles, so showed admirable restraint in only bringing one.

I shot some really good groups through his 12 FVSS with Black Hills Match 168gr, but did not take any pics. This one I did with the 175gr BHM which it likes almost as well.

Josh and Ken from my other Gun Forum brought along M14's. Josh has an LRB M25 in a JAE stock similar to mine, but his is topped with a U.S. Optics scope that Josh had made to his specs. Killer scope. Ken was sporting some traditional wood today and was shooting very well.

All in all a great day with some great guys. And I have finally met a new friend from FTF, so that will make finding a short notice shooting buddy easier.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Here are the 3 rifles I brought today.
Top-SAI NM M1A by Ronnie Morris.
1917 Remington made Enfield.
LRB M25 with I.O.R. and JAE.

Jeez, my photo taking ability SUCKS.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Yes indeed it was a great day of shooing at Angeles. At least once I was able to find where I was supposed to be. Folks looked at me rather strangely as I walked up and down the line saying, M-14? M-14? But well worth it, great to finally meet another FTFr. Hope to meet many more in time.

Mr. Rocks forgot to mention that My chainsaw 7mm only shot as well as it did after he helped me sight in the scope. Learned a few new tricks today. Thanks again bro.

Also got to shoot an M-14 for the first time. I was surprised at how smooth it was. And very accurate. I was able to hit a few clay pigeons at a hundred plus yards. With my bad eyes and using iron sights that’s pretty good.

So anytime you want to set up another shoot count me in.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 02-21-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nice shooting! Great rifles (I love that NM) and great report!
Thanks for posting

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #5

Thanks, Jo! It was great meeting you today.

I'll lay in a supply of 7mm Mag. Ha. And next time I'll bring along my Husqvarna .300WinMag.

Ended up being a few people who got to shoot an M14 for the first time today. One of the RSO's even took some time on my M25.

No pics of the range posted, sorry. The Angeles Range is a great place to shoot as long as you are able to listen to the RSO's. Paper targets to 200 yards, and steel plates at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600. Lots of fun for everything from .22 to .50BMG.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Nice shooting! Great rifles (I love that NM) and great report!
Thanks for posting
Thanks! Come on out and we will go do some shooting.

The NM has a long history. Belonged to one of my best friends, who was forced to sell it about 10 years ago due to cancer. I bought it 3 years ago from the other guy who bought it 10 years ago, but have not fired it since getting it back. My friend died last week so it came out of semi-retirement today. He would approve.

It has a TRW standard weight National Match barrel and all USGI Parts other than the receiver. Butter smooth.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is great stuff. Excellent!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Sorry to here about your friend M14. Sounds like you and Jo had a blast at the range.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Nice shooting you two, and some mighty nice rifles y'all are a totting! Nice, clean 7mm there Jo, and I nice LRB M25 Rock.

Glad to see you guys could get together for some good range time and exercise that M-14.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Sorry to here about your friend M14. Sounds like you and Jo had a blast at the range.
Thanks, TX. The world lost the smartest person I will ever know as well as the nicest person I will ever know when Craig died. He was an inspiration, role model and brother. I have 3 of his guns and his full size Jimmy 4x4. I could tell stories about him that nobody would ever believe.

And Jo and I had a great time today. I'm ready for the next Range Day.