Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   AK-47 Tasco Reddot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/ak-47-tasco-reddot-25753/)

deathkricket 04-07-2010 07:36 AM

AK-47 Tasco Reddot

4 Attachment(s)
It was a nice cold wet day today when i got to hit the range and test out my new Tasco reddot i picked up at Wal Mart
for $40. I must say for the price i didnt expect it to hold a zero very well but to my amazment after 500 rounds it was still dead on.
Over all it was very pleasent to use and with 11 light settings, seeing it in the day is not a problem.
Heres a few target pics from the AK-47 and my Glock 23. I would say the Tasco reddot feels solid and well built
and for $40 its hard to beat, and a breeze to sight in. (and yes the date is still wrong)

IGETEVEN 04-07-2010 02:39 PM

Nice shooting! For the price them Tasco Reddots can hold a zero, are priced nicely and are sturdy so far, got a couple as backups.

Were you cold? Maybe you should put one on that Glock....LOL, just kidding sir! :p

Lord, may a family of hungry baby Aardvarks try to climb into and up my pants legs and try to nurse, for that rude comment....Amen. :o

Jack

TheOldMan 04-07-2010 06:20 PM

I've got a BSA on my AK. Identical to yours and just as sturdy..

deathkricket 04-07-2010 09:45 PM

Well in my defense, the center hits on the glock target are from blazer FMJ, the rest all over the target are remington hollow points which have a tendency to go everywhere but where you point them, and a few of the hits are from me perfecting my bump fire :)

Shihan 04-08-2010 03:21 AM

I have one of those Red Dots, picked it up just to see for the price how it did. I haven't got around to using it yet, so thanks for the report. I may try it out and give another review. That way people that don't have a lot in their budget can know about some less expensive alternatives.
Besides it's going on an AK so who really cares, how much it costs?

Gojubrian 04-08-2010 06:28 AM

I have the very same on my brownig buckmark. My only complaint is the thing keeps coming loose after 30 or so rounds. :confused:

deathkricket 04-08-2010 12:04 PM

The first time mine came loose i cranked it down with a dime pretty tight and it never came undone after that, what i use to do with my other one's is put clear finger nail polish on the threads and tighten it back down and when the polish dry's it will keep it from coming loose again from vibration, at least that worked on my halo i had on my moss 590

User Name 04-13-2010 09:53 PM

I have a WASR-10 AK, I just bought this same Tasco red dot. I cant figure out how to mount it though. Where did you get that mounting rail at? How much did it cost? What is the cheapest option to go with that?

deathkricket 04-14-2010 03:41 AM

My rail to mount it came with my WASR, you should be able to go to your local gun shop and ask for a AK-47 scope mount, they are around 30 bucks.

diggsbakes 04-14-2010 05:45 AM

Kricket,
Glad that worked out for you. Its a trip what little help a bone stock AK needs to get it shooting' better. I've used several cheap(er) optics applications on AKs along the way and found that you don't need much to improve accuracy, speed and target acquisition. I'm gonna go get one of those pretty quick after hearing/seeing the results.

Username, (strange screen name btw) check out these quick detachable mounts: Leapers UTG 5th Generation Quick Detachable Picatinny-Style Double Rail Mount AK-47 Matte - MidwayUSA

They might cost about $10 more than your standard mount, but they are incredibly convenient and hold zero well after detaching and reattaching. they are also surprisingly stout. I like to practice them with use of scope around 75-100 yards, then detach and put many holes in a target in close range, then reattach and engage further target again and repeat process.

Good Times!