Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Aiming advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Aiming advice

I'm a new shooter and have been noticing that no matter what firearm I shoot. Its high and to the left. I'm a lefty. For example

I purchased a ruger 10/22 and took it to the range aside from constant jamming I shot high and to the left. I sold the gun and replaced it with a Savage Mark2 bolt action. I took it out yesterday. I noticed there's was no way to adjust iron sights. I took it out anyways to wear it in and to have fun. 90% of shots were high and to the left. I'm not moving my hands when I'm pulling the trigger. This gun has the lightest trigger pull I've ever felt. I feel as if its the way I'm holding my rifle.

Now that I think about it...my shotgun was doing the same but I adjusted the sights and now it shoots straight. Is this something thay happens to everyone or am I doing something wrong?...I think I covered everything.any help would be appreciated thanks!

@TooStrongTerry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I don't know what to tell you. Did you teach yourself how to shoot, or was it someone else? If a righty taught you to shoot, your stance may be for a righty, not a lefty. Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Which of your eyes is dominant? Everyone has a dominant eye and it can cause problems if you are left handed with a dominant right eye or right handed with a dominant left eye. Try shooting right handed or closing your right eye while shooting left handed.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm dominant with my left eye. I kinda taught myself to shoot. The only help I've ever had is with my shotgun. Other than that I'm learning alone

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think you have 2 things going on here. One is how you're seeing the front sight in the cut-out of the rear sight. Top edge of front sight should be even across with top edge of rear sight, with front blade centered, in square notch of rear sight. The other possibility is you are not keeping a good, solid, cheek weld on stock with firm, but not hard(let recoil happen)butt pad placement in shoulder. As to the jams. Try different ammo. You rifle doesn't like the ammo you got. My little Rugers always liked 36gr "Mini Mag" CCI(High Velocity). They'll shoot other hi-velocity ammo, but CCI gave best performance with accuracy. Stinger/Blazer ammo is HYPER-VELOCITY and not recommended. OK for bolt actions, but not semi-autos, unless your rifle/pistol is set up for it. If you're using cheaper, regular velocity type ammo(type found in 500- count bulk box), it doesn't have enough energy to fire-eject-load for a semi-auto. Step up to High-Velocity ammo and your little Ruger should work like a CHAMP. Even if you do get High Velocity ammo, the type you got may not work reliably due to manufacturing differences, so get 1 box, of 2 or 3 different ammo brands to try.
Sorry I noticed you sold Ruger and went with Savage MkII(very good little bolt action). I have one myself that's a little different than most. It's called a AXIS and less than 300 were built in 2011.
Del

Last edited by Triumphman; 02-23-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You have a pic of the axis?

So...my target should be directly above my front sight while being aligned with my rear sight?

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How are your groups looking? Focus first on getting consistent, small, tight groups - this requires adjusting your technique. Then work on moving the small, tight groups to the point of desired impact - this requires adjusting your sights.

At some point, fire a few groups off bags or other solid support. Do the groups using the support look small and tight?

Poor Groups - Not Small, Not Tight:

Better Groups - Much Smaller, Much Tighter (Work towards group this size before trying to move point of impact)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Back your finger out of the trigger guard a bit. Don't wrap your finger around the trigger. Your finger should contact the trigger face just opposite of the cuticle, at the rear of your fingernail.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just mounted a 4 x 32 scope. I figure that would help. Ill keep you guys posted.

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

In your origional post you may have devulged your problem when you said "pull the trigger". It's squeeze the trigger. Something else you may want to try is follow through, Try to maintain your stance through the shot. In other words try to see the bullet hit your POA. Even though in most cases it is impossible to do, it is the act of trying that makes the follow through.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill