Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Aiming advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/aiming-advice-58582/)

TooStrongTerry 02-23-2012 02:17 PM

Aiming advice

I'm a new shooter and have been noticing that no matter what firearm I shoot. Its high and to the left. I'm a lefty. For example

I purchased a ruger 10/22 and took it to the range aside from constant jamming I shot high and to the left. I sold the gun and replaced it with a Savage Mark2 bolt action. I took it out yesterday. I noticed there's was no way to adjust iron sights. I took it out anyways to wear it in and to have fun. 90% of shots were high and to the left. I'm not moving my hands when I'm pulling the trigger. This gun has the lightest trigger pull I've ever felt. I feel as if its the way I'm holding my rifle.

Now that I think about it...my shotgun was doing the same but I adjusted the sights and now it shoots straight. Is this something thay happens to everyone or am I doing something wrong?...I think I covered everything.any help would be appreciated thanks!

@TooStrongTerry

Georgiahunter 02-23-2012 02:20 PM

I don't know what to tell you. Did you teach yourself how to shoot, or was it someone else? If a righty taught you to shoot, your stance may be for a righty, not a lefty. Just a thought.

JTJ 02-23-2012 02:26 PM

Which of your eyes is dominant? Everyone has a dominant eye and it can cause problems if you are left handed with a dominant right eye or right handed with a dominant left eye. Try shooting right handed or closing your right eye while shooting left handed.

TooStrongTerry 02-23-2012 03:23 PM

I'm dominant with my left eye. I kinda taught myself to shoot. The only help I've ever had is with my shotgun. Other than that I'm learning alone

@TooStrongTerry

Triumphman 02-23-2012 03:24 PM

I think you have 2 things going on here. One is how you're seeing the front sight in the cut-out of the rear sight. Top edge of front sight should be even across with top edge of rear sight, with front blade centered, in square notch of rear sight. The other possibility is you are not keeping a good, solid, cheek weld on stock with firm, but not hard(let recoil happen)butt pad placement in shoulder. As to the jams. Try different ammo. You rifle doesn't like the ammo you got. My little Rugers always liked 36gr "Mini Mag" CCI(High Velocity). They'll shoot other hi-velocity ammo, but CCI gave best performance with accuracy. Stinger/Blazer ammo is HYPER-VELOCITY and not recommended. OK for bolt actions, but not semi-autos, unless your rifle/pistol is set up for it. If you're using cheaper, regular velocity type ammo(type found in 500- count bulk box), it doesn't have enough energy to fire-eject-load for a semi-auto. Step up to High-Velocity ammo and your little Ruger should work like a CHAMP. Even if you do get High Velocity ammo, the type you got may not work reliably due to manufacturing differences, so get 1 box, of 2 or 3 different ammo brands to try.
Sorry I noticed you sold Ruger and went with Savage MkII(very good little bolt action). I have one myself that's a little different than most. It's called a AXIS and less than 300 were built in 2011.
Del

TooStrongTerry 02-23-2012 03:35 PM

You have a pic of the axis?

So...my target should be directly above my front sight while being aligned with my rear sight?

@TooStrongTerry

Jeepergeo 02-23-2012 04:54 PM

How are your groups looking? Focus first on getting consistent, small, tight groups - this requires adjusting your technique. Then work on moving the small, tight groups to the point of desired impact - this requires adjusting your sights.

At some point, fire a few groups off bags or other solid support. Do the groups using the support look small and tight?

Poor Groups - Not Small, Not Tight:
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...UjTSqYG7AFXV7g

Better Groups - Much Smaller, Much Tighter (Work towards group this size before trying to move point of impact)
http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com...fle-target.jpg

Jay 02-23-2012 05:32 PM

Back your finger out of the trigger guard a bit. Don't wrap your finger around the trigger. Your finger should contact the trigger face just opposite of the cuticle, at the rear of your fingernail.

TooStrongTerry 02-23-2012 05:32 PM

I just mounted a 4 x 32 scope. I figure that would help. Ill keep you guys posted.

@TooStrongTerry

dteed4094 02-23-2012 05:56 PM

In your origional post you may have devulged your problem when you said "pull the trigger". It's squeeze the trigger. Something else you may want to try is follow through, Try to maintain your stance through the shot. In other words try to see the bullet hit your POA. Even though in most cases it is impossible to do, it is the act of trying that makes the follow through.