Advice and suggestions - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Advice and suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Yes, take a bit more forward aggressive stance "Think Boxer" it will feel more comfortable and sturdier to you. You will also bring your head down a bit more on line with the natural sight plain.

Keep it up and remember pass it on to other new shooters....

To add.. Don't struggle to be fast, just be smooth and fluid. Speed will develop rapidly with fluidity.
Yea, i guess u can say that im still kind of scared to get comfortable. Im afraid that i might get a jam and not notice and blow up my hand >_< but my co worker told me that if i do get a jam the slide will stay back like its out of bullets.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Your co-worker is pretty much correct. If you have a malfunction (jam) the slide won't lock back like your out of rounds but will hang up on either the unfired round if it fails to chamber or the empty case if an ejection failure. Either of these event would cause you to need to remove the magazine and clear the malfuction. If the slide does lock back while there are still rounds in the magazine then more than likey you have a faulty magazine. If any of these happen and your not sure how or are not comfortable clearing it just lay the gun down pointed down range and ask for help. Some malfuctions can be corrected with the "Tap, Rack, Bang drill which is tap the magazine with the palm of your support hand to make sure the magazine it fully seated, rack the slide to get another round in the chamber and bang or resume firing. I would probably only use that drill if I was in a gun fight or shoot in a match. The chance that you will blow your hand off is slim and none. I've been shooting all my life and I still have all 10 fingers. Never shot a toe off either.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHands
Yea, i guess u can say that im still kind of scared to get comfortable. Im afraid that i might get a jam and not notice and blow up my hand >_< but my co worker told me that if i do get a jam the slide will stay back like its out of bullets.
Unless you get a squib load, which is where the load is too weak to shoot the projectile (bullet) out of the barrel, and it gets start, if you have a malfunction pulling the trigger won't do anything. It won't explode, just nothing will happen.

Squib loads are dangerous, because you'll have a bullet stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again, well, bad ju-ju. However, if you're shooting ammo you bought in a store from a major manufacturer, that prolly won't happen.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Unless you get a squib load, which is where the load is too weak to shoot the projectile (bullet) out of the barrel, and it gets start, if you have a malfunction pulling the trigger won't do anything. It won't explode, just nothing will happen.

Squib loads are dangerous, because you'll have a bullet stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again, well, bad ju-ju. However, if you're shooting ammo you bought in a store from a major manufacturer, that prolly won't happen.
If you ever fire a shot and its sounds a lot different from all the other, stop and make sure there is not an obstruction in the barrel.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis