Advice and suggestions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Advice and suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Advice and suggestions

Thank you all.
http://youtu.be/3e7KfJpqydc
http://youtu.be/ImVe2a74rhE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

You're doing good for a new shooter.

Just 3 small things:

Grip the pistol a little higher. The web between your index finger and thumb needs to higher, get it closer to the Beaver tail.

Squeeze the trigger. It looks like you were jerking the shots low.

It also looks like you are anticipating recoil. Don't do that, there is nothing you can do to keep the gun recoiling. Just get used to the way it feels.

Very good for a new shooter!! Glad to see you out on the range.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

In addition to what Kryptar19 said, the big thing for me is trigger control and proper grip. I can't see your trigger control because of the angle. No problem. Just make sure you do a slow, steady squeeze, keep the trigger pulled to the rear until the recoil has subsided, then slowly let it out until you get to the "reset." The reset is the point in which the pistol is cocked again and can fire. You can experiment with this safely in your house. Just point the pistol in a safe direction, triple check to make sure its not loaded and neither is the magazine, and slowly press the trigger to the rear. Keep it held back, and rack the slide to re-engage the striker mechanism, then let out the trigger until its to the point where you can refire. It might take some experimentation to figure it out exactly.

Again, check, double check, and triple check the firearm and magazine to make sure its unloaded before doing this.

Here's a couple good videos you can watch to get an idea. The first one is a good drill to do to work on accuracy. The second and third ones are grip specific. The third is pretty long but he's a good guy and entertaining at times. The fourth video covers grip, sight picture, and trigger control.

http://youtu.be/38EZBw49Ibw
http://youtu.be/5iQb8j_hXnM
http://youtu.be/22msLVCtPk8
http://youtu.be/BY3pAZqMJe8
You're doing well. Good luck and keep up the practice.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19
You're doing good for a new shooter.

Just 3 small things:

Grip the pistol a little higher. The web between your index finger and thumb needs to higher, get it closer to the Beaver tail.

Squeeze the trigger. It looks like you were jerking the shots low.

It also looks like you are anticipating recoil. Don't do that, there is nothing you can do to keep the gun recoiling. Just get used to the way it feels.

Very good for a new shooter!! Glad to see you out on the range.
Omg your so good! Yes i was doing all of that lol! I couldnt hit the small target at all and it was because i was anticipating recoil and flinched when i pull the trigger making a low shot. So we went and got the man body target. Thanks for the pointers!!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
In addition to what Kryptar19 said, the big thing for me is trigger control and proper grip. I can't see your trigger control because of the angle. No problem. Just make sure you do a slow, steady squeeze, keep the trigger pulled to the rear until the recoil has subsided, then slowly let it out until you get to the "reset." The reset is the point in which the pistol is cocked again and can fire. You can experiment with this safely in your house. Just point the pistol in a safe direction, triple check to make sure its not loaded and neither is the magazine, and slowly press the trigger to the rear. Keep it held back, and rack the slide to re-engage the striker mechanism, then let out the trigger until its to the point where you can refire. It might take some experimentation to figure it out exactly.

Again, check, double check, and triple check the firearm and magazine to make sure its unloaded before doing this.

Here's a couple good videos you can watch to get an idea. The first one is a good drill to do to work on accuracy. The second and third ones are grip specific. The third is pretty long but he's a good guy and entertaining at times. The fourth video covers grip, sight picture, and trigger control.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/38EZBw49Ibw

Video Link: http://youtu.be/5iQb8j_hXnM

Video Link: http://youtu.be/22msLVCtPk8

Video Link: http://youtu.be/BY3pAZqMJe8

You're doing well. Good luck and keep up the practice.
Yea i do take my time with the trigger pull. Thanks for the tips and vids!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHands View Post
Yea i do take my time with the trigger pull. Thanks for the tips and vids!
No problem. Good luck.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHands

Omg your so good! Yes i was doing all of that lol! I couldnt hit the small target at all and it was because i was anticipating recoil and flinched when i pull the trigger making a low shot. So we went and got the man body target. Thanks for the pointers!!!!
Glad I can help.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would add a note about posture. It looks like you are standing with your shoulders back farther than your hips, almost to the point of leaning back. That increases the effects of recoil.

Watch this video of Julie Golob, and notice how her shoulders are forward of her hips. Also check out her foot placement, especially when she isn't leaning around obstacles.

As stated earlier, you are doing quite well as a new shooter, and you're getting a lot of advice because you asked for it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Yes, take a bit more forward aggressive stance "Think Boxer" it will feel more comfortable and sturdier to you. You will also bring your head down a bit more on line with the natural sight plain.

Keep it up and remember pass it on to other new shooters....

To add.. Don't struggle to be fast, just be smooth and fluid. Speed will develop rapidly with fluidity.

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 10-01-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59
I would add a note about posture. It looks like you are standing with your shoulders back farther than your hips, almost to the point of leaning back. That increases the effects of recoil.

Watch this video of Julie Golob, and notice how her shoulders are forward of her hips. Also check out her foot placement, especially when she isn't leaning around obstacles.

As stated earlier, you are doing quite well as a new shooter, and you're getting a lot of advice because you asked for it.
Thanks! I like getting advice cuz im still quite new with firearms and all.