5.56/223 ammunition?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

5.56/223 ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 810 Times on 455 Posts

Default 5.56/223 ammunition?

I know there are a few competition shooters in here or guys who shoot a lot. I have always purchased small amounts of ammo but never in bulk. I'm looking at ammoseek and thinking about buying 500 or more rounds in bulk. What do you guys recommend on a good quality ammo. I normally shoot AE223 or AE556. The AE223 is less accurate in my gun. It's on par with Tula. I'm looking at the prices of $.35 cents or less. So far I'm finding Federal,independence,PMC and some reloading companies. I don't want to buy steel in bulk. But I have seen Wolf that has a silver plating. Sorry forgot the name of the plating. I'm tired of paying $.50 cents a round but my funding is limited to $200 dollars at the moment. Which is in the 500 bulk count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Silver Bear has a zinc plating and I have had decent luck with it in 7.62x39. I wont buy 55 grain Russian ammo as they use a bi metal bullet which is hard on barrels and some AR carbines wont run it. Gas impulse is wrong for the steel case which does not shrink as fast as brass. Wolf 223 62 grain ammo is copper over lead but make sure it says so. I have not had any problem with the 62 grain cycling in my AR carbine. No extractor marks. It is decent but not target ammo. I have had good results with PMC but again not target grade. Best are my own hand loads which run about 20 cents and time. The link below is close to your price line for Federal on stripper clips.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/223-5-56/federal-5-56-55gr-fmj-bt-90rds-strclp.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15017/category/53/

Last edited by JTJ; 02-19-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks JTJ. I've been reading up on the steel cased ammo. Everyone is saying that if the Russian ammo was made at the Barnaul factory it's good ammo. That is the wolf, silver and brown bear stuff. It's all Polly coated. From what it looks like the steel doesn't expand like brass letting some blow back go by. This just causes the chamber to dirty up. In one post a guy would fire brass and it would get stuck after he shot a few hundred steel. As long as I don't go back and forth and clean the chamber really good. I should be good to go on steel. I've been watching those links at PSA that you shared. I missed out last week on the 90 round AE556. They were selling them for $25.99 and they had free shipping on the XM193 bulk can. I want to get a 1000 round minimum on brass before I buy steel to plink with. I'll probably buy the bulk can Saturday when I get paid. By the way if anyone is looking for xm855 SGammo has 120 packs for $75 bucks. A little high but they have it.http://sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/223-556mm

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

It keeps going up everyday but you can try this:

http://www.bulkammo.com/rifle/bulk-.223-ammo

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 249 Times on 166 Posts

Default 5.56/223 ammunition?

I just ordered a thousand rounds from Freedom Munitions. Literally got here yesterday so I have not shot any yet. BUT Almost all of the reviews I've read are good.

As for the service. It was here in less than a week and shipping is always free for first time buyers.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

P.S. they are a lot like PSA as in most of their products will be OUT OF STOCK, but like PSA that changes daily, so you have to monitor the site.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 02-19-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
I just ordered a thousand rounds from Freedom Munitions. Literally got here yesterday so I have not shot any yet. BUT Almost all of the reviews I've read are good.

As for the service. It was here in less than a week and shipping is always free for first time buyers.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

P.S. they are a lot like PSA as in most of their products will be OUT OF STOCK, but like PSA that changes daily, so you have to monitor the site.

Was it the Vmax? That's all I can see on their site. I googled and came up with a 55 grain FMj that was cheap but out of stock. I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

V-Max is a varmint bullet with explosive expansion which limits penetration. If you go to Freedom click on Whats in stock. It will save you some time. You can also sign up for the promotions. I get quite a few offers of 5% off or $5 shipping. I have used their 9mm with no complaints.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #8

Liked 183 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default 5.56/223 ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I know there are a few competition shooters in here or guys who shoot a lot. I have always purchased small amounts of ammo but never in bulk. I'm looking at ammoseek and thinking about buying 500 or more rounds in bulk. What do you guys recommend on a good quality ammo. I normally shoot AE223 or AE556. The AE223 is less accurate in my gun. It's on par with Tula. I'm looking at the prices of $.35 cents or less. So far I'm finding Federal,independence,PMC and some reloading companies. I don't want to buy steel in bulk. But I have seen Wolf that has a silver plating. Sorry forgot the name of the plating. I'm tired of paying $.50 cents a round but my funding is limited to $200 dollars at the moment. Which is in the 500 bulk count.
Sportsman's Warehouse has 5.56 Independence ammo for 6.99 20 rounds.
That's about 34 cents per round, which is still high. If you're Military you get five percent discount. It is brass cased and reloadable primer crimp and all.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Today was the Grand Opening of the new Dicks store in my home town. Stopped by to see what was happening. They had Federal m855 in the 150 box and lots of the 55 grain AE556 in the 120 and 90 packs. I picked up 300 rounds of the m855 and a 120 pack of the 55 grain. Total was $198 but I have 420 rounds for a little over what PSA is selling including shipping costs. I decided paying $15 more dollars than waiting a month to get it. I have my 1000 round minimum now it's time to start saving money for the cheap plinking stuff and maybe some match grade as well.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
Thats why i reload. 1000 bullets 150$ can or two of powder 27 each 1000 primers 35 so for about half the price ofvtge elcheapo i shoot match grade. Or if i want to go cheap i can reducevtge cost by a LOT more
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent