Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > .45 acp ammo tested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45 acp ammo tested

Finally got to test some .45 acp ammo, figured I would share some results. the pics are not the best, I would rather buy ammo than a new camera. All rounds were fired into water soaked phone books, The rangers penetrated from 7" to 9", the gold dots 5" to 8". All were fired from a distance of 10' from a Taurus PT 145. The top row are Winchester Ranger T 230 grain auto +p , the bottom are Speer Gold Dot 185 grain.
Name:  ranger t's , gold dots 016.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  ranger t's , gold dots 017.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  ranger t's , gold dots 027.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  ranger t's , gold dots 028.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  ranger t's , gold dots 024.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  105.3 KB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow! nice test! looks like the winchester expands more but it does look like the core separates from the jacket. Gold dots look like the jacket stays with the core but doesn't expand as much...tough choice?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #3

the one gold dot that did expand separated more than the winchesters did. I already ordered more rangers t's, they are the best Ive seen except for federal hst witch are not around anywhere. You can find the Ranger t's for 39.99 per 50 rounds @ ammunitiontogo.com. the gold dots are there to 26.99 per 50 but I like the rangers much better they went deeper and opened faster.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the results...

How do you do the wet phone book test exactly? Several stacked together to make it 10-12 inches?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the pics and info. I used to favor the Gold Dots. However, in the past year or so, I've been switching over to the Rangers, both HP and FMJ.

Thanks for reinforcing my decision.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hmm, may I suggest replicating the test on a slaughtered steer or hog? I suspect the results may flip-flop in different test mediums.

What we have here is an indicator that something happens. Cloth wrapped ballistic jello may also give different results (as will car doors, water filled jugs and wood blocks).

I suspect it is premature to reject one brand or another simply because of phone book tests. If I point a .45, the odds that the target is a wet phone book tend to be slim.

This is an old, historical, problem, one that has been the subject of much debate since the days of the civil war, when the US Army did their first tests on cadavers and determined to their satisfaction that a one inch penetration in fresh pine wood was equivalent to a potentially lethal wound.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nice report. The Winchester Rangers have always done very well. They are my second choice to the Black Talons that I carry...

Jim........

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #8

I soaked three phonebooks for an hour in a cooler. They are about four inches thick before soaking. I have shot both of these rounds into gallon jugs before, they both went into the third jug and opened up nice and wide. Also tested 230 grain gold dots the same way and they seemed to expand better. I would love to test some Federal HST if anyone knows where they can be found...

Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgciv View Post
I soaked three phonebooks for an hour in a cooler. They are about four inches thick before soaking. I have shot both of these rounds into gallon jugs before, they both went into the third jug and opened up nice and wide. Also tested 230 grain gold dots the same way and they seemed to expand better. I would love to test some Federal HST if anyone knows where they can be found...
How about http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/spittinfires-ammo-testing-45acp-38-special-sd-loads-budget-hps-21983/

I've been arming my wife with Gold Dots in her 38. After seeing this I may need to do some testing of my own. If they don't perform better then what I'm seeing here, I'll be doing some shopping.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I did this as well as a few other "45 Caliber Kings" in a bunker thread that was supposed to be a good indication of penetration and expansion using the same test media (wet newspaper) to be fired from the same distance of 7yards.
Would have been a great information resource but only a few who committed to the test actually did it.
Oh well it was a great idea.

Here were my results cut and pasted from the other thread with Federal HST 230gr fired into wet newspaper at 7yds----------------
__________________________________________________ _______

Fed 230gr HST +P @7yd
Kimber SIS Custom 5"

Wanted to get a decent camera before I posted, didn't get one yet so these will have to do.

Fired two shots originally and measured the depth, was surprised by the penetration(or lack of) First shot struck near the paracord I'd wrapped the paper in. The paper was slanted in near the impact point and I think that accounts for the uneven mushroom since there was no sign of any bullets tumbling. Second shot hit paper square.
Shot 1 5 1/4"________ .919" ______183.4 gr retained weight
Shot 2 5 1/2"_________.940"______231.7gr
Thought maybe the paper being bound tight accounted for less penetration than expected. So I cut paracord and shook out the sections of paper and restacked. Fired one more shot and the results were consistent.
Shot 3 5 1/2"________.925"_______230.4gr

Sitting on a quarter

So thats what I got.

I also took the opportunity (a little OT)to fire a few shots from my 16" barreled AR just to see what it would do since I had a discussion in another thread about lack of penetration with .223
I fired 3shots with handloaded 60gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.
They penetrated about an inch at approx caliber size then the expansion became violent and ended in complete fragmentation with total penetration of 7", 7", and 7 1/4"

Not much left to see other than a few pieces of jacket,plastic and the bullets bases. But it did surprise me that these 60gr varmint bullets out penetrated the 230gr HST's.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down