.408 chey-tac
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > .408 chey-tac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 14

Default .408 chey-tac

Howdy yall
I am looking for balistics data on the .408 chey tac . I am thing about buying one or having one built
any help would be awesome , Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Do you have a poo load of money, and access to a 1000 yard range?

Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

last time i priced one they were $10K and up, without any optics. and to fully appreciate the precision of that rifle, it deserves nothing less than the best in a scope for long distance shooting.

another thing, do you reload? if not, get ready to open the wallet wide every time you pull the trigger. and not just anyone is going to carry the ammo for that rifle.

and what is your level of shooting experiance and what experiance do you have in shooting long range?

and do you have access to a range that has the facilities for long range shooting? if not, it seems pretty useless to spend that amount of money on a rifle, optics and ammo to limit it to shooting at only 100 yards.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
last time i priced one they were $10K and up, without any optics. and to fully appreciate the precision of that rifle, it deserves nothing less than the best in a scope for long distance shooting.

another thing, do you reload? if not, get ready to open the wallet wide every time you pull the trigger. and not just anyone is going to carry the ammo for that rifle.

and what is your level of shooting experiance and what experiance do you have in shooting long range?

and do you have access to a range that has the facilities for long range shooting? if not, it seems pretty useless to spend that amount of money on a rifle, optics and ammo to limit it to shooting at only 100 yards.
^ Yep, this. Not trying to be hard on you, or dash your dreams of owning one. We're just trying to be realistic. That round and gun are really expensive, and are meant for ranges up to 2000 meters. It's not something you'd shoot at 100-300 yards. If that's what you planned on shooting at, I'd highly recommend picking a different round.

Now then, if you do have the money to spend, the skill to shoot at long distances, and the land to shoot on, then I say go for it. I'd love one too. I'm just nowhere near where I could/would get one though.

You'll definitely want to reload for it. It will bring the cost of ammo down, and you'll be able to work up a load that gets the best accuracy out of your gun.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
^ Yep, this. Not trying to be hard on you, or dash your dreams of owning one. We're just trying to be realistic. That round and gun are really expensive, and are meant for ranges up to 2000 meters. It's not something you'd shoot at 100-300 yards. If that's what you planned on shooting at, I'd highly recommend picking a different round.

Now then, if you do have the money to spend, the skill to shoot at long distances, and the land to shoot on, then I say go for it. I'd love one too. I'm just nowhere near where I could/would get one though.

You'll definitely want to reload for it. It will bring the cost of ammo down, and you'll be able to work up a load that gets the best accuracy out of your gun.
on reloading for the 408 Chey-Tac, IIRC, the round is proprietary, so the cases would have to come from Chey-Tac. even with reloading, this will still be a bit pricy per round due to amount of powder used and if i were reloading for this round, i would be using quality bullets for the reloads.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
on reloading for the 408 Chey-Tac, IIRC, the round is proprietary, so the cases would have to come from Chey-Tac. even with reloading, this will still be a bit pricy per round due to amount of powder used and if i were reloading for this round, i would be using quality bullets for the reloads.
It's definitely not a plinking round.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #7

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

What the others have said is absolutely correct. +10,000 to what they said. But if you do get it, We would all love an opportunity to shoot it

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #8

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default Biggest bang for your $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotshell9 View Post
Howdy yall
I am looking for balistics data on the .408 chey tac . I am thing about buying one or having one built
No ballistics but more options: Check out Ferret50.com and good luck.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotshell9 View Post
Howdy yall

If you're really serious and have the money, get the .408 M300 PER version with A5 MacMillan stock, bipods, match trigger and the best long-range heavy duty optics you can afford for the caliber...And about 3000 yards of rifle range. I figure if you've got the money for the platform you've got the money for the bullets. Go nuts.