4 hours at the range

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 4 hours at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 4 hours at the range

Great day. Finally got to a 100 yard range today. Got the rifle sited in at 50 yards. At 100 could not tell if we were hitting the target or not so we put a couple half liter bottles on the ground. Was consistently hitting the bottle. Not every time but often enough to know it is sited properly. Everything else was on me. Granted we did most of the shooting from a table and mini tripod. Neither one of us could hold on the target well enough at 100 yards.

Buddy had his Marlin Model 60. The scope he had needed zeroed at 50 yards. Then all he has to do is turn the turrets to his yardage and aim. 25, 50 and 100 yards were all dead on with his ammo he had. It was a BDC scope for .22.

Now I want to get a BDC scope for the M4. It is an Olympic Arms Plinkster Plus flat top. Put the P-223(?) offset rings topped with a cheap Tasco 3-9X 40 scope. Went cheap on the scope just to get started. It is working well just not as convenient as a BDC scope. Even played with the cheap red dot. Got consistent hits at 50 yards but lost the bottle at 100. Got it about 2 out 5 at 100.

Now to get back out there to get the groups tighter.

Also going to work on a "target" camera and homemade auto loading reactive target system. For the camera I have an IP enable security camera. Figure a 12 volt battery, inverter, wireless router and tripod at one end and a laptop or Ipad at the other. Easier to see target if we don't take out the camera. Hopefully the camera will be able to see far enough we can it out of the way.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7111 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14389

You need a spotter with a spotting scope.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #3

Had a spotter with bino's but not quite strong enough. Have the remote camera stuff laying around, so think it might be a fun project to try. Of course any day shooting at targets is better than a day at work.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

any day at the range is better then not being there. im gonna burst your bubble.. most centerfire BDC style scopes are set for much longer distances.. normally along the lines of 100,150, 200, 300 yards and so on. they are different by brand but most are longer distances. just not sure how well it would work for 100yrds and closer. i just dont think theres any benefit.

do you practice dryfiring? even if you practice once or twice a week im positive it would help you hit better at 100yrds.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #5

I have in the past. Not trying to get past 100 yet. Plan on shooting hog next year with it. Plenty of time for practice.

Even at the 9x setting I could see the bulls eye of the targets I had but without more power for the spotter could not tell exactly where the rounds were hitting.

We will be getting more ammo and be back there in a few weeks. Will be looking for a higher power binos or spotting scope to see better. I believe the Tasco is up to the task of consistent 100 yard shots. May even do some research and experimenting with a 100 yard zero and rise and fall at shorter distances. Just figure with a proper BDC scope range adjustments might be easier.

After looking at a ballistics calculator I believe I'm going to go for the 100 yard zero. Looks like everything from 10-260 should be right around 2 inches from bulls eye. Up or down. I have a calibrated 50 yard target for the 100 yard zero I'll try next outing, then shoot 100 to fine tune. This is getting fun.

The targets I was using I found on another site and all fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper.

Last edited by wknight40; 05-18-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
I have in the past. Not trying to get past 100 yet. Plan on shooting hog next year with it. Plenty of time for practice.

Even at the 9x setting I could see the bulls eye of the targets I had but without more power for the spotter could not tell exactly where the rounds were hitting.

We will be getting more ammo and be back there in a few weeks. Will be looking for a higher power binos or spotting scope to see better. I believe the Tasco is up to the task of consistent 100 yard shots. May even do some research and experimenting with a 100 yard zero and rise and fall at shorter distances. Just figure with a proper BDC scope range adjustments might be easier.

After looking at a ballistics calculator I believe I'm going to go for the 100 yard zero. Looks like everything from 10-260 should be right around 2 inches from bulls eye. Up or down. I have a calibrated 50 yard target for the 100 yard zero I'll try next outing, then shoot 100 to fine tune. This is getting fun.

The targets I was using I found on another site and all fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper.
That sounds like a great plan!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #7

Liked 171 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Once you finally get all sighted in, it's a lot easier after that.

I usually go to the range, fire 3 rounds at 100 yds, adjust my scope, then fire 3 more. Then I'm done. 45 mins tops.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

A budget scope will likely hold zero on a .22 rifle just fine.

Use splash targets, you will see the impacts through the scope.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

I have not shot rifle consistently in about 20 years and probably another 10 with a scope until yesterday. Did put 40 rounds through at an indoor range standing for fun. He has never shot with a scope.

Took us about an hour to familiarize ourselves with the scope of both rifles. Once we decided we we zeroed everything after that was fun and to try and get some better groups. Again all in all a fun a productive time.

As for the targets I'm a frugal person and did not realize how far 100 yards is through the scope. I know the splash targets are not all that expensive and will be picking some up to make it easier. Also will be playing with the idea of some inexpensive reactive targets for some more fun.

After looking at the BDC scopes for the AR series I think I will stick with the Tasco until I'm ready for beyond 100 yards since as mentioned most of them to start their zero at 100 yards. Looking at the Nikon series and their "Spot On" software looks like it can be adjust for a 50 yard zero and it automatically gives you the other ranges on the dots.

Thanks for all of the advise and will be investing in better equipment as the budget allows.