Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   380 Self Defense Book Test (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/380-self-defense-book-test-95825/)

javelin225HO 08-21-2013 10:03 PM

380 Self Defense Book Test
 
1 Attachment(s)
I tested 3 bullets from a taurus 738. Hornady CD, Federal personal defense low recoil, and Speer gold dot. All 90 grains.
I shot from 15 feet into a 1200 page hardback book. Speer bullet got to page 1099, Federal to page 813, and Hornady to page 791.
Hornady seperated and fragmented. Federal held its weight and mushroomed and so did the Speer. So who do you think was the best looking at the picture?
I was suprised at the way Hornady seperated and lost its weight. Federal had a good shape and the Speer penetrated well.

Sniper03 08-30-2013 04:04 PM

Javelin,

Was the Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection or Duty ammunition. To compare apples and apples. But if the Speer Gold Dot was personal protection it seemingly out performed the others as far as maintaining weight and penetration. But it is very obvious that all three rounds would have accomplished the goal of neutralizing an aggressor. Fragmentation is not always a bad thing since it represents the energy that was dispersed into the tissue of an aggressor. And keeping in mind these rounds are designed for a special purpose to minimize over penetration as well as reduce recoil. And being personal protection rounds they are normally used in smaller lighter conceal carry pistols. I recently shot some full blown 220 gr. 45 ACPs through my new Springfield XDs and let me tell you it was everything but pleasant! ;)They are designed for a specific purpose and not actual duty service type ammunition. Thank you for the good photos and very impressed with the telephone book test. Books like phone books are hard tests on ammunition. Glass is even worse.
Thanks

03

javelin225HO 09-08-2013 12:31 PM

Sniper,
The Gold Speer were personal protection rounds. The Hornady did lose the most weight but fragmented which would have caused tissue damage. I will acquire some more books to test with denim used as a layer. I will also try this with a 9mm round. I just bought some 9mm Gold Speers to try.
I had Hornady loaded in the mag, but now have switched to the Speers. The recoil were lowest on the Hornady and the Federal and Speers were alittle more.
Speers did the best imo, then the Federals followed by the Hornady. It might me a different result in the 9mm test, we'll see.

bikerlbf406 10-09-2013 06:47 AM

Personally although Hornady might have had the least amount of penetration, I still prefer it in my .380's, and am willing to bet my life that it will stop an attacher. After all I don't want to over penetrate any way, the last thing I want is for it to exit the person.

SSGN_Doc 10-09-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 (Post 1396245)
Personally although Hornady might have had the least amount of penetration, I still prefer it in my .380's, and am willing to bet my life that it will stop an attacher. After all I don't want to over penetrate any way, the last thing I want is for it to exit the person.

Over penetration on a human attacker is not a problem that the .380 is noted for, especially using expanding ammo. Not getting deep enough penetration is something that is often listed as a problem for .380 hollow points.

AIKIJUTSU 10-09-2013 02:04 PM

I hope to stay with this thread and get some insight (from posters with true knowledge of the .380, not just uninformed opinion) into the subject. I bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 a couple of months ago, carry it a lot in a pocket because of the warm weather in S. Carolina. It'd be good to know what to expect if I have to use it, and what part(s) of the body to hit in order to get the best result.

bikerlbf406 10-10-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1396412)
Over penetration on a human attacker is not a problem that the .380 is noted for, especially using expanding ammo. Not getting deep enough penetration is something that is often listed as a problem for .380 hollow points.

I could be wrong, however I have yet to here of anyone not having deep enough penetration with a .380 regardless of type of ammo. I'm willing to bet my life on it, even a .25 auto with hollow point will have deep enough penetration to do it's job.

Axxe55 10-10-2013 03:56 AM

some ballistics for everyone to make some sort of comparisons over.

a 22 Mag. with a 45 gr. bullet.
http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/

a 25 auto with a 35 r. bullet.
http://www.hornady.com/store/25-Auto-35-gr-XTP/

a 380 with a 90 gr. bullet.
http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-XTP/

a 9mm with a 115 gr bullet.
http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-115-gr-XTP/

John_Deer 10-10-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 (Post 1397106)
I could be wrong, however I have yet to here of anyone not having deep enough penetration with a .380 regardless of type of ammo. I'm willing to bet my life on it, even a .25 auto with hollow point will have deep enough penetration to do it's job.

I seriously doubt you can find a factory made .25 cal hollow point that will function in a semi auto pistol.

In comparison a 22 wmr 40 gr CCI maxi mag fired from a rifle with a 22" barrel has 320 ft lb of energy at the muzzle.

Axxe55 10-10-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1397126)
I seriously doubt you can find a factory made .25 cal hollow point that will function in a semi auto pistol.

i beg to differ. my brother, recently bought a new Taurus semi-auto 25PLY and we shot about 100 rounds between us with not one problem occuring.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.