.380 Day
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > .380 Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default .380 Day

It's been a busy weekend but I found an hour to get a new toy to the range. Since I wanted a comparison, I took my trusty PPK along with the Sig P238 and some FMJ & JHP ammo. Before y'all chew me out, I forgot my camera so no target pix today. Anyway, I started out with the PPK as I've always shot it well. It performed as it always does, very accurate but a tad snappy as all blowback guns are.

I switched to the Sig and I was expecting it to have a stout kick as it's lighter than the Walther and it has a two finger only grip. It fills the hand well, but there isn't a place for your pinky but I found it natural to just curl my pinky over the bottom of the mag. I loaded up 7 rounds of FMJ and let fly - and was I surprised. The little Sig put all 7 rounds in the center of the target - and the recoil was very soft. While it's lighter and smaller than the Walther - the recoil felt like 50% less. The Sig is a locked breech design and that must be what makes the difference.

I switched over to Gold Dots and ran 3 mags through it with no problems at all. Accuracy remained good (about a 3-4 inch group, one handed, at 6-7 yards) and recoil was still very mild even with SD ammo. Yup, this is a pricey little devil but I'm very impressed and I actually carried it in a Bianchi IWB on the way home. It carries very well as it's small & light. This is a keeper folks...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Sounds good to me and congratz

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was wondering how those P238s shot. I'm going to start slowly rebuilding my little arsenal in a few months and a small .380 is on my wish list.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It's been a busy weekend but I found an hour to get a new toy to the range. Since I wanted a comparison, I took my trusty PPK along with the Sig P238 and some FMJ & JHP ammo. Before y'all chew me out, I forgot my camera so no target pix today. Anyway, I started out with the PPK as I've always shot it well. It performed as it always does, very accurate but a tad snappy as all blowback guns are.

I switched to the Sig and I was expecting it to have a stout kick as it's lighter than the Walther and it has a two finger only grip. It fills the hand well, but there isn't a place for your pinky but I found it natural to just curl my pinky over the bottom of the mag. I loaded up 7 rounds of FMJ and let fly - and was I surprised. The little Sig put all 7 rounds in the center of the target - and the recoil was very soft. While it's lighter and smaller than the Walther - the recoil felt like 50% less. The Sig is a locked breech design and that must be what makes the difference.

I switched over to Gold Dots and ran 3 mags through it with no problems at all. Accuracy remained good (about a 3-4 inch group, one handed, at 6-7 yards) and recoil was still very mild even with SD ammo. Yup, this is a pricey little devil but I'm very impressed and I actually carried it in a Bianchi IWB on the way home. It carries very well as it's small & light. This is a keeper folks...
I'm not sure how long you have had your PPK. The Sig 238 black nitron finish w night sights is actually about $50.00 less. The Stainless finish is about $50.00 more then the PPK. The 232 is 5 oz lighter than the PPK. The PPK has always been a little snappy. The 238 with a full alloy frame and wide grip for a small pistol helps absorb some recoil. It is also a very well balanced little gun.
The PPK is a classic but I don't like the 13 lb trigger pull. Waiting for when the thing is going to fire can make some people tense and flinch when it finally does fire.
If you really want a head to head comparison the Sig 232 is almost identical to the PPK. Just about the same weight, barrel length and appearance. It has a blow back action. It has excellent balance. It is about $100.00 more than the 238. The 238's are much harder to come by so you may have paid an inflated price. I would keep a PPK even if I never shot it. I'll take Walther and Sig Sauer over most any day. I am sure you will like the 238 more and more. What's not to like about it? It's a Sig.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Both my PPKs are older pre-S&W guns. I have a short grip PPK and the later model PPK/S. I like them both and one of them is generally my primary carry. It will take a bit more time until I have the same faith in the P238 - but I really like it so far...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good stuff. It sounds like a keeper.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Both my PPKs are older pre-S&W guns. I have a short grip PPK and the later model PPK/S. I like them both and one of them is generally my primary carry. It will take a bit more time until I have the same faith in the P238 - but I really like it so far...
Sounds like a keeper of a mouse gun! I had my doubts about these, but everything I have read about them has been good. I just don't like guns I can't get a good grip on. The LCR almost falls into this category.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Sounds like a keeper of a mouse gun! I had my doubts about these, but everything I have read about them has been good. I just don't like guns I can't get a good grip on. The LCR almost falls into this category.
Less comfort is a compromise you pay for the smaller size. You need to practice enough to be fairly comfortable shooting a 238 or an LCP but it is probably not going to be your primary. You will notice some of the more powerful 9 mm pistols are getting smaller, just not down to less than a 3" barrel or less than .90 inch width. I have an LCP and a 238. I bought the LCP for my wife but she complains about the recoil so she shoots the 238. It is much more comfortable to shoot, especially one handed. I consider both pistols to be reliable. The little Ruger has exceptional fit and finish for the price. The more expensive Sig with stainless slide and alloy frame is cost justified.

Last edited by sigp250; 05-03-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #9

Glad to hear that the P238 is working out for ya'.Good to hear that it cycles everything you feed it. That's how pistols are suppose to be. When they first came out I thought that a mini 1911 was a pretty cool pocket pistol. If I hadn't already bought my pocket pistol before knowing about the SigP238 release, I would have waited for the it.