.357 mag and 10mm gelatin tests
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > .357 mag and 10mm gelatin tests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .357 mag and 10mm gelatin tests

http://youtu.be/dy9tIABsauM

Underwood .357 158 gr Hex plated fired from 4" S&W Model 13 through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB calibration: 585.0 fps, 3.1"

Impact velocity: (err)
Penetration: 27.5"
Retained weight: 157.7 gr
Expansion: None

A few notes on this one. It was overcast, making it difficult to get a good velocity reading. Underwood advertises 1,475 fps for this load and their claimed velocity is usually very close to actual. One shot curved and left the block on the bottom, the other came very close to exiting the block on the top. I cannot say for sure whether there was expansion on the shot that exited but based on the dramatically larger stretch cavity, I think it is likely. Nevertheless, this bullet is at least capable of failing to expand. Recoil was mild for a .357 mag.

http://youtu.be/3KbLafCnrH0

10mm Atomic 180 gr Hex plated fired from 4.5" bbl EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB calibration: 585.0, 3.1"

Impact velocity: 1,251 fps
Penetration: greater than 17.7"
Retained weight: N/A
Expansion: N/A

Both shots experienced significant fragmentation and deviated, exiting the side of the block.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Thank you for the videos. The results are very interesting. Still, I doubt the two and four legged animals my ammo is designed for are made of gelatin though. I do trust the tests on pig carcasses. They are more scientific. Plus gelatin is totally different then fat, muscle and bone. Here is an interesting read.....

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20mor gue.htm

Last edited by Jagermeister; 06-23-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Here is a good pig to test on.....

http://news.yahoo.com/sex-offender-charged-fla-girls-death-195335625.html

Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Thank you for the videos. The results are very interesting. Still, I doubt the two and four legged animals my ammo is designed for are made of gelatin though. I do trust the tests on pig carcasses. They are more scientific. Plus gelatin is totally different then fat, muscle and bone. Here is an interesting read.....

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20mor gue.htm
This is a commonly held misconception. Properly calibrated gelatin actually IS remarkably consistent with human and porcine tissue.

"The IWBA published some of Gene Wolberg’s material from his study of San Diego PD officer involved
shootings that compared bullet performance in calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin with the autopsy
results using the same ammunition. When I last spoke with Mr. Wolberg in May of 2000, he had
collected data on nearly 150 OIS incidents which showed the majority of the 9mm 147 gr bullets
fired by officers had penetrated 13 to 15 inches and expanded between 0.60 to 0.62 inches in both
human tissue and 10% ordnance gelatin. Several other agencies with strong, scientifically based
ammunition terminal performance testing programs have conducted similar reviews of their shooting
incidents with much the same results--there is an extremely strong correlation between properly
conducted and interpreted 10% ordnance gelatin laboratory studies and the physiological effects of
projectiles in actual shooting incidents." - Dr. Roberts

"The test of the wound profiles validity is how accurately they portray the projectile-tissue
interaction observed in shots that penetrate the human body. Since most shots in the human body
traverse various tissues, we would expect the wound profiles to vary somewhat, depending on the
tissues traversed. However, the only radical departure has been found to occur when the
projectile strikes bone: this predictably deforms the bullet more than soft tissue, reducing its
overall penetration depth, and sometimes altering the angle of the projectile's course. Shots
traversing only soft tissues in humans have shown damage patterns of remarkably close
approximation to the wound profiles.

The bullet penetration depth comparison, as well as the similarity in bullet deformation and yaw
patterns, between human soft tissue and 10% ordnance gelatin have proven to be consistent and
reliable. Every time there appeared to be an inconsistency a good reason was found and when the
exact circumstances were matched, the results matched. The cases reported here comprise but a
small fraction of the documented comparisons which have established 10% ordnance gelatin as a
valid tissue simulant." - Dr. Fackler

That said, my own tests are less than scientific and shouldn't be taken as conclusive on their own.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
.357 test video

Underwood .357 158 gr Hex plated fired from 4" S&W Model 13 through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB calibration: 585.0 fps, 3.1"

Impact velocity: (err)
Penetration: 27.5"
Retained weight: 157.7 gr
Expansion: None

A few notes on this one. It was overcast, making it difficult to get a good velocity reading. Underwood advertises 1,475 fps for this load and their claimed velocity is usually very close to actual. One shot curved and left the block on the bottom, the other came very close to exiting the block on the top. I cannot say for sure whether there was expansion on the shot that exited but based on the dramatically larger stretch cavity, I think it is likely. Nevertheless, this bullet is at least capable of failing to expand. Recoil was mild for a .357 mag.

10mm test video

10mm Atomic 180 gr Hex plated fired from 4.5" bbl EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB calibration: 585.0, 3.1"

Impact velocity: 1,251 fps
Penetration: greater than 17.7"
Retained weight: N/A
Expansion: N/A

Both shots experienced significant fragmentation and deviated, exiting the side of the block.
Thank you! This is the same results I got. That is why you do not want a 158 gr bullet for SD in a 357 Mag. The 125 GR JHP is the way to go.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

It's a nice test. But it really doesn't prove that much. Who uses FMJ ammo for SD in anything larger than a 9mm? I don't even buy 357 mag FMJ ammo for target practice. 357 mag SP ammo is usually pretty close to the same price as FMJ.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
This is a commonly held misconception. Properly calibrated gelatin actually IS remarkably consistent with human and porcine tissue.
And the bone????
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
And the bone????
Good point. The fact of the matter is that ballistic gel is great for advertising purposes to compare one round to another, but it is next to worthless for predicting how a round will act on a human.

I have seen cold ones with multiple GSWs from the same box of ammo fired through the same gun that varied in penetration by at least a female's 6 inches.

I have seen rounds blow right through the chest and other rounds in the same person from the same box through the same gun not even penetrate the skin of a beer gut.

I've seen rounds follow a rib all the way around and exit through the skin at the back.

All of these things are impossible to predict with gel. If the author had said "soft tissue" I might come closer to believing it, but as it's written, it's bunk.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

That must be an old test. I checked underwoods site to find that round. They don't even list it any longer. This is a real world test. I shot a deer in the chest with a 125 gr Fiocchi SP round. The bullet exited wight in front of the deer's hip. The Fiocchi SP penetrated around 34" of deer. The deer was about 15 yards from me when I took the shot. When I field dressed the deer it's lungs were trashed. The deer's diaphragm was split where the bullet passed through it. I used a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel to take the deer.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #10

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Is the term " HEX Plated" bullet reference to the a Rainer hex bullet? Not the normal speer or hornady jacked and bonded bullets underwood use's. Never looked at the rainer bullets as quality defence bullet. More for match use.