22 mag 20% gelatin tests
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 22 mag 20% gelatin tests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default 22 mag 20% gelatin tests

Here is a 22 mag gelatin test in 20% gelatin. Brassfetcher does not mention the distance for this test. Usually when brassfetcher tests a rifle they test at 50 yards. This test is with a 40 grain Remington Power Soft Point, one of my favorite hunting cartridges.

My Marlin was incredibly ammo sensitive until recently. Apparently the micro groove barrel requires a lot of ammo to break it in. It shoots very well with any ammo after a couple years of shooting. I have shot the rifle so much I have worn the bluing off the bolt. When I first got the gun it would only shoot 40gr CCI TMJ, 40gr CCI game point and 40 gr Remington PSP ammo accurately.

http://youtu.be/bKwn7wHZZTU

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
dwmiller Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

Liked 548 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

sorry, invalid link.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2486 Times on 1349 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Link is working fine now. Only 9" of penetration is disappointing but it really is for small game. Expanded very well.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

dwmiller Likes This 
Old 10-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Liked 548 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

22 Magnum is for smaller game. just how much penetration does one really need for small game?

ballistic gelatin is simply a test medium to yield consistent results from different types of rounds and not an accurate test medium for actual results in comparison to flesh, bone or muscle tissue.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Liked 428 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Actually 9" penetration is damn impressive for a 22 mag. The wound channel looked pretty good also. Retained weight was also very good on this bullet. The Powerpoint that Remington is now using behaves as a proper hunting bullet, not the pure lead slugs we're used to in the past.

I think I'm going to have to reevaluate 22mag based on what I've just seen. I can see some test shooting in my future...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Link is working fine now. Only 9" of penetration is disappointing but it really is for small game. Expanded very well.
A 223 soft point only penetrated 12" in 10% gelatin. 9" in 20% gelatin is very comparable to the .223. If you need penetration from a small load use a FMJ/TMJ. A FMJ/TMJ would pass through the 20% gelatin.

I have a mild steel spinner that I have shot with a variety of handgun loads up to 357 mag without any damage. I have even shot the spinner repeatedly with a 9mm carbine. Don't take me wrong I am not saying a 22 wmr has more energy than a 357 mag, even when fired from a rifle. But I had to quit shooting the spinner with my 22 mag rifle because it was dimpling my spinner so badly it would be unsafe to shoot. A 22 mag fired from a rifle has about the same energy as a 9mm pistol with a standard load. But that energy is focused on an area smaller than a thumbtack.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

do you know that 20% jello was abandoned over 20 years ago, as being 'non-indicative" of actual performance in flesh and blood? 10% jello has to be carried to the range in a cooler, and used at once, cause it needs to be held at about 40F degrees or the results are not calibrated to pig muscle (which is the best that any stimulant claims). Vital organs are much more easily penetrated than muscle, and the lungs are just air sacks. So the nice expansion seen in jello usually does not happen in animal tests of the same loads. Flesh and blood is flesh and blood. If a load overpenetrates in jello (ie, more than 10", I guarantee you that it will overpenetrate (ie, not do all the damage and cause all the shock that it could have) on men.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2306 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 3620

One of the places i hunt wild hogs bans the use of centerfire rifles, shotgun slugs and muzzleloading rifles outside of deer/elk season. i've killed a couple dozen hogs there with the .22 magnum. Some of those hogs weighed over 200 pounds: Most were killed from stands overlooking game plots and water holes. i use the CCI 40 grain total metal jacket round.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Liked 428 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
One of the places i hunt wild hogs bans the use of centerfire rifles, shotgun slugs and muzzleloading rifles outside of deer/elk season. i've killed a couple dozen hogs there with the .22 magnum. Some of those hogs weighed over 200 pounds: Most were killed from stands overlooking game plots and water holes. i use the CCI 40 grain total metal jacket round.
I had penetration problems on hogs with 223 a couple years ago. Built a 6.8 to guarantee that a skull shot would pass through both sides. No matter what angle the shot is. Barnes TSX bullets all the way....

A friend of mine shot a large (350lbs) hog in the (center forehead, head on shot) skull. Bloody wound and the hog went down. We chase with dogs in the swamps. We went down to admin the coup de grace with a hunting knife to the jugular. He had the knife, I had my camera when the hog woke up. He got 47 stitches, I finished the hog with my 44 mag pistol while hanging from a tree limb one handed. Two dead dogs. Dumb luck....

I'll never trust anything that small again on (semi)dangerous game....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-03-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 616 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
I had penetration problems on hogs with 223 a couple years ago. Built a 6.8 to guarantee that a skull shot would pass through both sides. No matter what angle the shot is. Barnes TSX bullets all the way....

A friend of mine shot a large (350lbs) hog in the (center forehead, head on shot) skull. Bloody wound and the hog went down. We chase with dogs in the swamps. We went down to admin the coup de grace with a hunting knife to the jugular. He had the knife, I had my camera when the hog woke up. He got 47 stitches, I finished the hog with my 44 mag pistol while hanging from a tree limb one handed. Two dead dogs. Dumb luck....

I'll never trust anything that small again on (semi)dangerous game....
Wow, that turned into a story telling outing!

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln