1st time to range in 6 years - trigger pulling? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 1st time to range in 6 years - trigger pulling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Keep up the practice.

You did very, very well for having no range time in 6 years.

Thanks. This is also pretty much my first time shooting a semi-auto. I've fired a couple of revolvers growing up, but only 1 pistol ever (and only 10 rounds at that). Most of my previous experience is with low-caliber rifles...

Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 6 years is a long time...

What kind of shot were you 6 years ago? What kind of pistol did you use back then? Prior to trying to make any major changes, it might be a good idea to make a couple more trips to the range. It may just be a matter of you being a little rusty... that being said, your shooting wasn't that bad!

ArmsVault

Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsvault View Post
What kind of shot were you 6 years ago? What kind of pistol did you use back then? Prior to trying to make any major changes, it might be a good idea to make a couple more trips to the range. It may just be a matter of you being a little rusty... that being said, your shooting wasn't that bad!
I had a little experience slow-firing .38 and .22 revolvers. No real experience with a pistol. When I say a little experience, I mean I went to a gun range twice a year up until high school. Until that point though, I could hit a 3" target with a .22 5" barrel revolver at 25 yards...

I recently stumbled across the isosceles stance, which I am now transitioning to from weaver. I noticed an immediate improvement in my shooting. I also think part of my accuracy problem was the caliber, .40 S&W. It has a lot more recoil than I'm used to. More time at the range will help get me adjusted to it though...

Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

'squatch - Don't read too much into one bad range day, or even several bad mags while at the range.

You could be tired, you could have low blood sugar, you could be thinking about other issues.

I have been shooting my whole life - in one form or another - and I still have days when I want to go shooting, but it's just not happening.

This is the hardest part for new shooters. Wanting to shoot and being ready to shoot are two ENTIRELY different things...

Best bet, think about going shooting this weekend starting on Monday or Tuesday. Get your mind ready and think about what you want to achieve.

Tight groups?

Fast shooting and hitting the target?

Slow, steady, consistent shooting from mag to mag?

Get your mind right and use your dry fire practice to get your body ready.

Then go and give it ago. If it goes well, or if it goes to shi'ite, the important thing is to practice, practice, practice....

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could try just putting your finger on the trigger and just slowly squeeze the trigger until you are surprised when it fires, basically, you should always be surprised when your weapon goes off, try dryfiring and practice the squeeze. If you can, also have some one watch you as you dry fire and when you go on the range, They should be able to tell if you are flinching. Dont try rapid fire at first, just take your time and try to be surprised every time the weapon goes off, wont be long until you can fire the weapon with the correct pressure.

Layton

Old 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I went to the range again and focused on stance (isosceles), grip, and proper trigger pull. Here's the results. Range, 7 yards, shots fired, 40 each round with a Glock 23 (.40 S&W).

1.1.jpg   1.2.jpg  

Last edited by feedsasquatch; 07-26-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

That's a dead bad guy right there, feed. Nice job. Keep it up.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

'Squatch - I wish you were closer, because I would love to take you to the range, you are showing GREAT improvement.

Several of your shots are right on target, probably when you weren't trying so hard.

The shots low and left were when you were trying too hard, or when you are jerking the trigger.

This second, or is it third, range session proves that you have potential that you have not tapped yet, but you are well on your way.

That said, I agree with Skull, you have a dead bad guy any day of the week with that target.

JD

Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
'Squatch - I wish you were closer, because I would love to take you to the range, you are showing GREAT improvement.

Several of your shots are right on target, probably when you weren't trying so hard.

The shots low and left were when you were trying too hard, or when you are jerking the trigger.

This second, or is it third, range session proves that you have potential that you have not tapped yet, but you are well on your way.

That said, I agree with Skull, you have a dead bad guy any day of the week with that target.

JD
Thanks Dillinger. I knew the shots were going to be low before I even looked at the target to see where they hit; I flinched, anticipating recoil. Whenever I did that, I would bring the target back, unload my Glock, and do some dry firing.

This is my third range session, and I think I'm getting a lot better with my Glock 23. I'm finally starting to feel like the bullets are hitting very close to where I'm aiming, whereas before they were going low and left 50% of the time. Now I'm just getting a few stray bullets.

I think if I keep dry firing, and force myself to not anticipate recoil, I won't have all these stray shots. Then I can start working on speed, longer ranges, and tack-driving.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #20

Forget the wheels and too much about refined technique at this point. At 21 feet your pistol is capable of one hole accuracy with a steady hold and smooth squeeze. S Q U E E Z E.