Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   1st time to range in 6 years - trigger pulling? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/1st-time-range-6-years-trigger-pulling-14899/)

feedsasquatch 06-17-2009 09:21 PM

1st time to range in 6 years - trigger pulling?

5 Attachment(s)
Alright, I made it to the range with my new Glock 23 today. It's the first time I've been to a range in 6 years, so I'm very rusty. I seem to shoot consistently low and left, so I think I have a trigger pull problem. What's interesting, is that when I dry fire, my gun doesn't move a bit. So, I submit these photos to everyone's scrutiny to see what's wrong with my shooting, and what I can do to improve it.

All of the targets were placed exactly 7 yards away.

Oh, and I also rented a Glock 30 today. It has just as much "recoil" as my G23, but it seems to push into my hand, instead of snapping up. I wish I had fired one before buying the G23, because I really like the way it shoots. O well...

Dillinger 06-17-2009 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might help.... It's for Right Handed shooting...Reverse it for left hand shooting....

skullcrusher 06-17-2009 10:22 PM

I was gonna post the same, as it has helped me tons. I have a copy of it that I take to my home range every time I go. Don't over think it, just keep it in mind.

feedsasquatch 06-17-2009 10:28 PM

Alright, so how do I correct "too little trigger finger" and "jerking or slapping trigger" as well as "Breaking Wrist"?

skullcrusher 06-17-2009 10:49 PM

I'm gonna be soft....

1. Keep constant pressure and squeeze

2. Keep constant pressure and contact and squeeze

3. Don't be girly

:D

feedsasquatch 06-18-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 118796)
I'm gonna be soft....

1. Keep constant pressure and squeeze

2. Keep constant pressure and contact and squeeze

3. Don't be girly

:D

1 &2 - Is the problem that I'm using the the "pad" between my 2 knuckles instead of the "pad" of my fingertip to squeeze the trigger?

3 - Don't be girly. Alright. I don't know how a girl shoots, but I'll strive not to shoot like one next time I go to the range.

Dillinger 06-18-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedsasquatch (Post 118824)
1 &2 - Is the problem that I'm using the the "pad" between my 2 knuckles instead of the "pad" of my fingertip to squeeze the trigger?

First time with live ammo in six years?? I would expect you to be off target.

The problem is that your trigger placement on the trigger, and the pressure you are using on take up from round to round, isn't the same. That is essentially what is happening.

You're not keeping the same pressure and "type" of pull from round to round. It's common and even I find myself having the same problem if I haven't been to the range in awhile. Check out my range targets in the .460 Rowland Build Off thread. :D

Dry fire. Lots of dry fire. Smooth even trigger pull each time.

Get to know your trigger pull and get in tune when it breaks. The break, where the striker slams forward, should be constant and crisp like the breaking of a glass rod.

There is, I believe, an aftermarket trigger kit available for some Glocks - but I don't know about your specific model....

Hope that helps...

JD

SGT-MILLER 06-18-2009 01:15 AM

Keep up the practice.

You did very, very well for having no range time in 6 years.

:)

skullcrusher 06-18-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedsasquatch (Post 118824)

3 - Don't be girly. Alright. I don't know how a girl shoots, but I'll strive not to shoot like one next time I go to the range.

I don't know how a girl shoots, either. I was just trying to be general with some advice to get you to be conscious of your form and trigger finger and wrist. JD and SGT stepped up with another approach but generally saying the same thing. Heed all of the advice, and get to the range again. Practice, practice, practice. You will be dead on in no time. :D

skullcrusher 06-18-2009 01:59 AM

Just wanna be clear on the finger and the tigger. Do not 'curl' the trigger. Very common mistake, and simple to correct.

I learned early on that the 'squeeze' on the trigger is a straight pull toward your thumb. If you practice a pull from the knuckle where your finger meets your hand, you get the feel of the pull. Once you know it, you will never forget it. :D