Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 1st Time at the Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I hit the range every other day and spend an hour or so there (however long it takes to shoot 100 rnds of 9mm). Some of the things I do:

1) As you've found out, adding in-canal plugs to over-the-ear protection is useful not only to further lessen sound, but also in case you need to adjust your shooting glasses. It's a pain to adjust them with over-the-ears on.

2) Weight training gloves work great for me as shooting gloves. I usually start of bare-handed then as the day goes on, I put on the gloves.

3) Carry a range book with you and a digital camera. This way you can take pictures of your targets for later study. And though it sounds like only something the die-hard shooters would do, studying your targets and your log book outside of the range can really show where you need improvement.

4) Online you can find lots of printable targets. Try bringing a few of these to the range. I like to use 3" targets, 4 to a sheet.

5) I pack baby wipes in my range bag to clean up lead from my fingers.

6) When I shoot, I try to load only 5 rounds in each magazine, sometimes only 3. This forces me to calm down and make each shot count. I found that if I loaded up 12 or 15 rounds, I was shooting a lot faster and was a lot less accurate. You will eventually do this because speed drills are a part of good shooting, but this helps me concentrate on technique.

7) I also keep a micro-fiber cloth in my bag to clean goggles and also as a mat for my firearm. I don't like placing my gun or ammo on the range rests.

8) Oh, shooting "ears" of target stands gets the range officers mad

Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #32

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 2nd Trip to a Range

OK, so I made it to the range for the 2nd time (have been traveling for work).

This time I went to Shooting Straight in West Palm Beach, FL. I took a group Beginner Handgun course with my wife (the original plan was to do this - the one-on-one class at Palm Beach Shooting was off-book).

Very happy with how I did, again. Shot a Beretta 92FS (which was not on my short list), as I've been leaning heavily towards composite guns.

My 1st 7 rounds were at 3 yards; next 15 shots were at 5 yards.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #33

Default Some analysis: Palm Beach Shooting vs. Shoot Straight

Palm Beach Shooting vs. Shoot Straight:
The best way that I can describe it is that Palm Beach Shooting and Shoot Straight are on opposite end of the spectrum and they are both good in their own right.

Shoot Straight is brand new, slick, well lit, all the (numerous) sales people are dressed the same, there are display-top signs indicating the primary special in that case. The one thing that shocked me was that their selection of rental guns was a bit weak. None of the 3 guns that I am considering can be rented (G17, M&P9, and XDm9). There were only 2 full-size 9mm semi-autos that could be rented, the Beretta and one other that escapes me.

Palm Beach Shooting looks like it's been around forever, it's a little gritty, there are only a couple of people on the sales floor and if they weren't behind the counter, you wouldn't know they work there. I didn't get a look at all of their rentals but I got the impression that the selection was much better.

I like them both for different reasons and at this time don't prefer one of the other. SS gets the nod for being the newest and being closest to my house; PBS gets the nod for being the least expensive, the least crowded, and having the best (for me) rental selection.

Oh, and I hate the target hangers at SS. The only hold the target in the center, so the targets have a tendency to swing when not shot dead center.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #34

Default More analysis: G17 vs. 92FS

GLOCK G17 vs Beretta 92FS:

Both are full size 9mm semi-auto pistols. And to me this is where the similarity ends.

The Beretta is a full metal gun, where as the GLOCK has a polymer frame.
The Beretta is a true DA/SA with an external hammer. The GLOCK is a striker-fire gun.
The Beretta has a thumb safety, the GLOCK does not.

What I like about the Beretta:
- The weight when shooting. The recoil is much less noticible with the 33 oz all metal pistol
- I seemed to be more accurate with the Beretta, but it wasn't really apples-to-apples
- I liked the sites on the Beretta better. It seemed easier to focus on the front site.
- I liked all of the Single Action shots after the 1st DA shot.

What I didn't like about the Beretta:
- The thumb saftey (although easy enough to deal with)
- The rear of the slide was just too "crowded", as compared to the GLOCK
- The slide failed to lock back when empty (but this was a rental)
- The weight when just holding the gun
- The way it felt in my hand.
- The Dual Action 1st Shot. (My one "floater" above, was the 1st shot after a reload.)

What I like about the GLOCK:
- The way it fits in my hand
- The simplicity of design
- My accuracy (although I may be better with the 92FS)
- The ergonomics, everything just seemed to be in the right place

What I didn't like about the GLOCK:
- The amount of perceived recoil, likely due to the lower weight

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-02-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Very nice shooting and review! Well done sir.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
GLOCK G17 vs Beretta 92FS:

Both are full size 9mm semi-auto pistols. And to me this is where the similarity ends.

The Beretta is a full metal gun, where as the GLOCK has a polymer frame.
The Beretta is a true DA/SA with an external hammer. The GLOCK is a striker-fire gun.
The Beretta has a thumb safety, the GLOCK does not.

What I like about the Beretta:
- The weight when shooting. The recoil is much less noticible with the 33 oz all metal pistol
- I seemed to be more accurate with the Beretta, but it wasn't really apples-to-apples
- I liked the sites on the Beretta better. It seemed easier to focus on the front site.
- I liked all of the Single Action shots after the 1st DA shot.

What I didn't like about the Beretta:
- The thumb saftey (although easy enough to deal with)
- The rear of the slide was just too "crowded", as compared to the GLOCK
- The slide failed to lock back when empty (but this was a rental)
- The weight when just holding the gun
- The way it felt in my hand.
- The Dual Action 1st Shot. (My one "floater" above, was the 1st shot after a reload.)

What I like about the GLOCK:
- The way it fits in my hand
- The simplicity of design
- My accuracy (although I may be better with the 92FS)
- The ergonomics, everything just seemed to be in the right place

What I didn't like about the GLOCK:
- The amount of perceived recoil, likely due to the lower weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Very nice shooting and review! Well done sir.
I agree with dnthmn2004, damn fine review sir and expressed just as well. I have a Beretta 92 and the isssue with the slide locking back is probably a old magazine spring, as mine does not have this issue. Also, as for the saftey. I agree with its horrible position, but I use it as a decocker only and carry with a DA first shot with the saftey off. With the heavy first DA pull an AD would be quite difficult.

P.S. that's damn good shooting!

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!