1st range comp

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 1st range comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1st range comp

These are the results from the range competition I took part in yesterday; my first time shooting any kind of longarm, a .22.

Sako Tikka, to be exact. 100m prone with bipod...I'm guessing this was the sole reason for my good results? Everyone at the range was saying "You just wait until next time and you don't have the bipod!"

so yeah I guess that's what they meant (plus it was only 100m, of course)

It did feel ridiculously easy, compared with how I imagine it's going to be when standing/kneeling/lying prone self-supported etc. Can anyone verify?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Nice shooting Zhuk

Old 05-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks. Will be very interesting to see how I go 'unassisted' next time!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Thanks. Will be very interesting to see how I go 'unassisted' next time!
No shame in that whatsoever, good job, nice first comp

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

great shooting. i would like to see how ya do without the bi-pod. i believe i would hang that on the refrigerator

Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroftheland View Post
great shooting. i would like to see how ya do without the bi-pod. i believe i would hang that on the refrigerator
Or on the front/back door where would-be perps could see it

Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroftheland View Post
Yeah I'm pretty intriuged how it will go myself! Don't worry will post the next results for possible public hilarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Or on the front/back door where would-be perps could see it
Now that would be a great idea lol. Especially since my neighbourhood is fairly sketchy at best...

Only problem is it would be an empty warning since we aren't allowed those sort of means of self defence in good ol Oz-land

Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #8

I didn't know that. Funny thing is I was thinking Oz-land was like the US 30 years ago in regards to being relaxed. This is a disappointment of sorts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Yeah I'm pretty intriuged how it will go myself! Don't worry will post the next results for possible public hilarity

Now that would be a great idea lol. Especially since my neighbourhood is fairly sketchy at best...

Only problem is it would be an empty warning since we aren't allowed those sort of means of self defence in good ol Oz-land

Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I think a lot of people have that misconception; that's it's relaxed like the US just hotter & with more dangerous animals lol. Self-defence via firearm has never actually been legal here, although in a very few select cases people haven't been charged after shooting some burglar etc.

Considering the stringent gun-safe laws you couldn't have one handy anyway

But no, the only 3 lawful reasons for gun ownership here are target shooting, primary producer [farmer] and professional feral vermin control. You can't even just go out & plink in the bush (unless you live on a farm, maybe).

That's it

Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 2nd comp

Hope the mods don't mind me bumping this thread...did my 2nd rifle competition today and i thought it might be a good idea to post the results tacked on the old thread for comparison...and lolz purposes

OK, today was my 2nd time ever shooting rifle, 2nd comp as I said.

No bipod this time! (well I had a wooden block @ the end, for the Figure 11 4 sec snap 'sniper' section)

And it was 300m, not 100m.

AND I decided to shoot right-handed from now on, which felt just as unnatural as when you attempt to write with the wrong hand

[Due to 1) not having access to left-handed rifles and 2) the impracticality of reaching over the receiver to cycle the bolt in competiton against the clock and 3) being right-eyed anyway].

Yes, it was raining too hehe. Apparently my club (Royal Australian Naval Reserve Rifle) is about the only one which doesn't pack up & go home when it rains, according to a senior member lol

Of course, it started to really rain just as the detail I was in were about to shoot. Thing is, you don't really noticed being rained on cos you're concentrating so hard! Someone senior was guiding me thru it, and she went and got a Drizabone (hmm, probly oilskin to you i guess) and laid it over my legs which were getting soaked as we were lying prone for that distance. Apart from feeling just WRONG right-handed, the sling I was using (kinda wrapped round the left arm, meant to pull tight to steady) didn't really fit...we only semi jury-rigged it up in the moments before the shoot started, so it felt quite uncomfortable.

I felt like I did reasonably badly, although I knew I got a couple in the bullseye section...however lots of waving around trying to keep it on target. MUCH MUCH harder than the bipod - that was easy by comparison...I hate to think how hard it will be standing!

Then my group had to go down to the butts beneath ground level to haul targets for other ppl (just as well I've been doing pushups lately lol). Got rained on some more; by the end I could no longer feel the tips of my fingers

THEN when we finish finally & get back to the clubhouse, I find out my score....

OK I expected it to be a lot worse than that last initial time...and it was, all things considered. No bipod, shooting right-handed etc. I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself, but I've always been a perfectionist...

Completely surprised to come 3rd in the Class C Optics section...now that kinda rocked me a lil!

Can't wait until the next tryout...hope it's not 400m tho lol