Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 1st ever 'range report' aka the value of snap caps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1st ever 'range report' aka the value of snap caps

Got out to an indoor range yesterday, first time. The good news: gun runs fine with factory ammo so last Saturday's slight debacle was definately reload-caused.

115gr Speer Lawman - what the range sells, pricey @ $35/box 50 (!) but you have to use their stuff - now that's a handy lil earner...

So 2 boxes plus the compulsory SSAA range fee of $22 (provides the $10mil worth of third-party insurance) means its almost 100 bucks! hey what can do you huh. Pity I won't be able to afford to do it regularly - comps cost roughly 80-100/weekend as it is lol

Anyway...

First up, a typically crap grouping as I usually do. Plenty of awful trigger control there:

Then - and here's the crux of my header - alternated random snap caps and live rounds (not particularly easy to 'forget' the order when you're loading it) just so I could make sure I'm not jerking the trigger...and voila:

Finally without snap caps. Think I was getting a bit tired, those low shots indicative of head-dropping a bit...but still an improvement on the first grouping. Taking the view I can only get better, right?

All from 10m (which should put the woefulness into perspective. heh)

One weird thing though - I had this uncontrollable blinking-on-firing happening? Never happens outdoors, did not occur here with the snap caps...I'm presuming therefore it must be noise-related? Only the 2nd time I've shot indoors. Tried REALLY hard to force my eyes to keep open but they bloody wouldn't lol

Might wear foam earplugs under earmuffs next time and see if that makes any difference.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Nice shooting! I always try to use double ear protection (when possible).

Oh, by the way, could you describe the firearm used (we have new people)?

Thanks, Dan

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hey nice one mate, I know nothing about pistol shooting as you know but I reckon I'd be pretty happy with those targets!

One question, how do the snap caps cycle the action?? Or do you have to cycle it manually after each trigger-pull?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Nice shooting! I always try to use double ear protection (when possible).

Oh, by the way, could you describe the firearm used (we have new people)?

Thanks, Dan

OK will do in future. Many thanks for the heads-up Dan

And how remiss of me, sorry! here she is

M&P 9L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Hey nice one mate, I know nothing about pistol shooting as you know but I reckon I'd be pretty happy with those targets!

One question, how do the snap caps cycle the action?? Or do you have to cycle it manually after each trigger-pull?

Thanks Aus. I can only get better hey...it was pretty close distance

Yep that's the pain, with snap caps you gotta rack the slide each time when it just goes 'click'. One bounced out into the lane didn't catch it in time & the guy had to get a rake and a torch to retrieve it lol

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

zhuk,

It looks like the snap caps paid big dividends, and in only one session — outstanding!

I shoot both indoors and outdoors, and there is indeed a huge difference in the noise factor. I like to take my time setting up when I shoot indoors. That gives me a few minutes to get used to the noise level. Sometimes, when I first walk in, I catch myself flinching at other people shooting. Until that settles down, I know I'm not going to shoot well myself.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Zhuk - I see nothing wrong with that shooting to be honest. You self diagnosed the biggest part of your problem and were able to cause/effect it to tighten things up considerably.

Considering this is taking place at about 33ft for us Yanks, I think your targets look VERY good for a brand new pistol.

Well done sir and THANK YOU for the informative Range Report.

JD

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good job! Looks great!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:20 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Zhuk - I see nothing wrong with that shooting to be honest. You self diagnosed the biggest part of your problem and were able to cause/effect it to tighten things up considerably.

Considering this is taking place at about 33ft for us Yanks, I think your targets look VERY good for a brand new pistol.

Well done sir and THANK YOU for the informative Range Report.

JD

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Appreciate what you say JD, in fact 10m would be one of the closer targets for us - 25m being quite usual. Alas, I can rarely see where they go at that distance. Only find out the scoring 'damage' after that fact...and often its not at all pretty

Why poppers are rather helpful - at least you KNOW if you've hit them or not straight away!

Gotta say that factory ammo is far hotter loads than the club stuff I'm used to. Must remember to get a tighter grip

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That looks great! I'm sorry it costs you so much money to do it though.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
OK will do in future. Many thanks for the heads-up Dan

And how remiss of me, sorry! here she is

M&P 9L

Thanks Aus. I can only get better hey...it was pretty close distance

Yep that's the pain, with snap caps you gotta rack the slide each time when it just goes 'click'. One bounced out into the lane didn't catch it in time & the guy had to get a rake and a torch to retrieve it lol
I have no experience with M&P but I only rack my XDM about 1/2" to 1" to cock and don't have to eject the snap cap. Try if it works on yours this way too.

Great shooting!