1927 Sistema Colt Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 1927 Sistema Colt Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Sistema Colt Range Report

This is now my third trip to the range with this pistol and I believe that the bugs are worked out.

First trip, there were a number of FTF's and FTE's. I also doubled a bunch because I wasn't used to the light trigger. The rear sight also worked loose.

Second trip, again several FTF's and FTE's and not quite as many doubles. This trip, the front sight worked loose.

Locktite on the rear sight and epoxy (JB Weld) on the front sight did the trick.

Third trip was today. I got to the range this morning and put another 200 or so rounds through the Colt. I found out that the FTF problem was strictly caused by a Novak mag. I gave it to another guy at the range. The follower seemed to have too flat of an angle. The rounds just nosed straight into the feedramp. There were no FTE's whatsoever.

Ammunition was Blazer aluminum cased 230gr. FMJ, Hornady 230gr. FMJ/FP and Fiocchi 230gr. FMJ. Last trips, it fed federal HST +P's, Magtech 230gr. FMJ's, Blazer Brass 230gr. FMJ's and Federal 165gr. HP's.
So it's had a good variety of ammunition down the pipe.

Other than the incidents with the Novak mag, there were no other failures. The pistol performed flawlessly today and the sights stayed in place.

I doubled a couple of times as I'm still not quite used to the trigger. I have to say that the trigger is incredible.
I've had a Les Baer TRS and a Dan Wesson CBOB, an SA MilSpec that I had Springfield Custom trick out and a Rock Island Tactical that I was happy to get rid of.
So while I may not exactly be a 1911 pistolero, I've had some good ones and the trigger on this pistol is the best of the bunch. The next best was probably the CBOB.

I forgot the camera and I know that makes for a crummy range report, but at 15 yards, it was tearing up the center of the target. I'll try and remember for next time.

It's very easy to get back on target, because it seems to move a bit left and up the same way every shot. It's something I wanted to be very conscious of because I'm working on my skills at reacquiring the target quickly.

I want to get at least several hundred more rounds downrange and several flawless performances before I'll feel completely confident with it.

This one's a keeper. Manufactured in 1959 and reborn fifty years later.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-12-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

That is awesome, CA. I'm glad you got the bugs worked out. That is a keeper for sure, and quite a looker, too!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Skull. I'm really liking it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great report! It's nice to see one of our old Sistemas brought back to life. Man, we built some good weapons back in the day...

Just yesterday I found a nice Sistema with all matching numbers (slide, frame, barrel and magazine) for $420. It's in pretty nice shape.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Did you buy it?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Did you buy it?
I'm trying hard not to. I've already bought a new S&W M&P and a Para P14-45 last month.

Luckily, Sistemas are plentyful here and a good friend of mine works at a well supplied gun shop. When the right one comes in, he'll set it apart for me (his store gets lots of estate sales from widowers, the best source for pristine old guns).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Most excellent. I think the Air Force models are the most scarce, are they not?
Mine is from the Santa Fe Police.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Most excellent. I think the Air Force models are the most scarce, are they not?
Mine is from the Santa Fe Police.
I don't recall ever seeing any Air Force marked Sistemas, but I'm no expert. I'll check.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It could be the Navy models, I get these senior moments you see...