10mm gelatin tests

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > 10mm gelatin tests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 10mm gelatin tests

http://youtu.be/doj4RcToeQc

10mm Buffalo Bore 180 gr Sierra Power Jacket fired from 4.5" barrel EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB: 599.2 fps, 2.9"

Impact velocity: 1,311 fps
Penetration: 10.7"
Retained weight: 181.1 gr
Max expansion: 0.853"
Min expansion: 0.560"

http://youtu.be/tTks647zosk

10mm Selway 180 gr JHP fired from 4.5" barrel EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

Impact velocity: 1,105 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 175.2 gr
Max expansion: 0.678"
Min expansion: 0.600"

http://youtu.be/XqbEOk75PXo

10mm Winchester 180 gr generic JHP loaded over 10.0 gr of AA#7 fired from 4.5" barrel EAA Witness through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

Impact velocity: 1,106 fps
Penetration: greater than 16"
Retained weight: N/A
Max expansion: N/A
Min expansion: N/A

The bullet experienced significant fragmentation and deviated from its path, exiting the block at about the 16" mark. A second shot performed similarly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Can I make a request?
10mm safety slugs??

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

I don't have any but they have been pretty extensively tested in other calibers. They are worse than worthless for defense because of terrible penetration. Adding velocity would likely make the problem worse. Probably do a great job vaporizing small to medium varmints when fired from a carbine, though. That's assuming the velocity doesn't tear the jacket open.

Here are the results of two other light 10mm tests:

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Here's a Brassfetcher test of .40 S&W Safety Slug. The majority of pellets stop short of 6.5", which would translate to 8.5" in 10% ordnance gelatin or human tissue.

There are a ton of videos demonstrating that they just blast right through walls, too:

http://youtu.be/J3ROwMpB7Zk?t=1m32s

I think what irritates me most is that Glaser (COR-BON) had to have known that the bullets punch through drywall, yet originally claimed in marketing that the bullets would be stopped by interior walls. They have since retracted that claim.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I Gotta call bs on that.
I've seen them blow a 3" exit hole out of a 2 x 4. I imagine even through clothing you'd be looking at 12" of penetration with an extremely nasty cavity.
But I haven't actually seen them tested on gelatin.
10mm is pretty nasty regardless of the round chosen.
Feel free to prove me wrong
meant about previous post not the your latest.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Here's a Brassfetcher test of .40 S&W Safety Slug. The majority of pellets stop short of 6.5", which would translate to 8.5" in 10% ordnance gelatin or human tissue.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkobKi_ZaCk

There are a ton of videos demonstrating that they just blast right through walls, too:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/J3ROwMpB7Zk?t=1m32s

I think what irritates me most is that Glaser (COR-BON) had to have known that the bullets punch through drywall, yet originally claimed in marketing that the bullets would be stopped by interior walls. They have since retracted that claim.
Yeah I have no doubt they blow through drywall as stated in my previous post and I imagine you are correct that they knew.
Can't really compare the 10mm short and week but it does give a gauge. I'd expect Atleast a foot of penetration with the 10mm.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #7

I agree that it's impossible to say without concrete data. I'd love to test it but I've got a huge pile of rounds that a user on another forum sent me and my Witness is on its way to the factory for service so it will be some time.

From a practical angle, 165-180 gr quality JHPs do so amazingly well in 10mm that I see little reason to choose anything else. I'd also be less than confident in a Safety Slug's performance against harder obstacles like auto glass and sheet metal.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I agree that it's impossible to say without concrete data. I'd love to test it but I've got a huge pile of rounds that a user on another forum sent me and my Witness is on its way to the factory for service so it will be some time.

From a practical angle, 165-180 gr quality JHPs do so amazingly well in 10mm that I see little reason to choose anything else. I'd also be less than confident in a Safety Slug's performance against harder obstacles like auto glass and sheet metal.
Yeah I wouldn't expect much against glass or metal Although I guess they could surprise us. It'd be interesting to see that they completely open after impacting auto glass and pepper the target as shot. Lol
I got them mainly for personal protection and in the gun shop (had a few very interesting days). I figured worst case scenario they would give me the opportunity to get to a rifle.
I also figure if a court case arises safety slug is hard to use against you and they leave one Hell of a wound channel and are lots of work to clean up.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

I think the concern of ammunition type being used against you in court is largely overestimated. It's possible, of course, but generally speaking, the DA will take a look at the general circumstances and decide whether to pursue an indictment. If it's a good shoot, they probably won't try to push it, no matter how politically biased they are because they won't want to lose. If they did push it, they'll have to convince a grand jury that they have enough evidence to bring the case to trial. If they make an issue of the ammunition at trial, your attorney would have to be worthless to not be able to address the issue. Again, it is the circumstances that matter, not the ammunition used.

More importantly, you have to SURVIVE to see a court room. I strongly recommend you use the tools that are most effective for defense. It is *possible* that Safety Slugs might perform well in 10mm but based on tests of the bullet in other calibers, it doesn't look good. On the other hand, there are quite a few proven loads that you KNOW will perform well. I recommend using what is proven until we have more data.

May God bless you and yours.