Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Zeroing an Eotech 512

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Zeroing an Eotech 512

I recently bought an Eotech 512 for my Bushmaster AR-15. I've read that it's recommended that it be zeroed at 50, or even 100 yards. My problem is that it's still below freezing where I live and all the outdoor ranges are closed and the indoor range I go to only goes out to 25 yards. I was hoping someone could help me figure out just where I'd want my shots to land on a target at 25 yards so that it would be zeroed at 50 or 100 yards. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2133 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Buskowski,

Send us a photo of your rifle so we can see what sights you have on it and we can go from there! If you already have your Iron Sights Zeroed. At what range are they Zeroed. Then we can better instruct you. You may have the hard part out of the way already. I will share that with you if you can provide the above information. I have zeroed hundreds of EOTech Sights.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

I may not have the experience of Sniper but I have zeroed EoTech at 25 yrds before the same method i use with my iron sights:

I adjust so its spot on for left-to-right and its 1-2 inch low at 25 yds, then will be nearly spot on between the common engagement distances of 50-200 yards.
Over 250 yards I aim a little high.

However if Sniper has tons of experience with the Eotech 512 I will defer to his judgment and ask he give me some guidance on how good my above method is, to set me up for QCB w/ an Eotech.

Cheers,

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What's wrong with having it zeroed at 25yds?

You'll be at minute of badguy until the thaw comes.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
locutus Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

This is my setup, it has the standard front sight which, I'm sure you can tell, and the back one is a Troy Industries flip sight. I can't remeber what I had the irons zeroed at, but Ill probably have them at 25 yards or just at 50 to match the Eotech. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

ar151.jpg   ar153.jpg   ar152.jpg  

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Buskowski,

Send us a photo of your rifle so we can see what sights you have on it and we can go from there! If you already have your Iron Sights Zeroed. At what range are they Zeroed. Then we can better instruct you. You may have the hard part out of the way already. I will share that with you if you can provide the above information. I have zeroed hundreds of EOTech Sights.

Might be hard to understand what Sniper is getting at with the iorn sights but he's right on in his thinking-
Edit cause---Just saw you're last--You need to know at what your battle sites are set at --

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Buskowski Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2133 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Buskowski,

Thank you for the info! Here we go! First of all 25 yards in not a good range to zero at. If zeroing at 25 you will be very high at 100. But we will walk through a technique using the sights in your picture. First, one should zero the rifle at 50 or 100. I prefer 100 but 50 is so close it makes little difference. As your EOTech is mounted on your rifle with the Iron Sights Zeroed as mentioned above, you have got 90% of the work done.
You simply mount your rifle so it will be stable while making adjustments. Then you simply dial the reticle on the EOTech so it sets directly on top of the front sight post and centered side to side on the front sight post. This will put you right close to being zeroed and then you can do your final tweak adjustments on the EOTech since you will be very close to being zeroed. To make the final adjustments on the range the adjustments on the EOTech represent 1/2 inch of adjustment at 100 yards or at 50 yards each adjustment (click) would represent an adjustment of 1/4 " So once you do the reticle you should be very close and for sure on the target material to start with. But you need to zero your iron sights first. In the meantime until you get to the range and for interim home protection use just dial the EOTech's reticle down on the top of the front sight as I have advised and you will have no problem using the optics in the meantime for close range protection. Hope this makes sense! If not let us know!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sniper,

Thanks for all that great info, it's very informative. My only remaining question is if you had a "in the ball park" estimate of how many inches from the bullseye my shots should land on a target at 25 yards, to have it be roughly zeroed in at 50 yards. For example, I have a WSM .300 that I use to hunt and I have it zeroed to hit 2 inches high at 100 yards, which makes it hit right on at 200 yards. Would I be incorrect in assuming that if I had my shots hitting one inch above the bullseye on a 25 yard target with my AR; it would be hitting right on at 50? I may just have to do as you instructed and wait until I can have access to a range more a equipped to my needs.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #9

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

No you need to hit low at 25 yds becaue the bullet is still on its way up at that range.
1.5 inch low or thereabouts is the rule of thumb to be right on at 100-150 and close enough at 50-200

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Got it. Thank you for all your help.