Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Your opinion. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/your-opinion-12622/)

oscar1975 04-06-2009 05:39 PM

Your opinion.

Hello, what you think of this set? rifle Remington 700 calibrate 338 Winchester Magnum, Leupold QR frames and Viewer Bushnell elite 3200 3 - 9 x 40. The use I you give is hunting in RAID. Perhaps are too many increases not?

Oscar.

Dillinger 04-06-2009 09:22 PM

Oscar - Have you purchased the rifle yet? Or are you looking to purchase?

Oscar, ¿has comprado el rifle todavía? ¿O usted está buscando?

JD

oscar1975 04-07-2009 07:49 AM

Hi Dillinger, not the rifle already purchased jejeej, but I am curious, encourage disturb, I like the views of more people in relation to weapons and accessories I have got. I especially appreciate the opinion of people living in the United States because I believe that you have many more knowledge about guns than in Spain.

A welcome and thank you,

Oscar.

Dillinger 04-07-2009 01:45 PM

Oscar - Welcome to the Forum.

I think that the .338 Winchester is a VERY large caliber rifle round.

The Remington Long Actions are not the best overall choice for this particular round because their stiffness ( the beef of the action itself ) isn't as thick as some other competitors.

I don't know what is available in Spain, but the Remington Long Action wouldn't be at the top of my personal list for this large of a Magnum Caliber.

In addition, this round isn't designed to be shooting across the street, so the choice of the scope in 3 x 9 is going to be severely limiting in what you can do with the weapon.

The absolute minimum I would consider using on a caliber this size would be something in the 4.5 x 14 range - but even that is going to be limiting.

What is your intended purpose for the weapon?

JD

oscar1975 04-07-2009 03:55 PM

I intend to hunt wild boars in raid. The mountain of Spain is quite thick, but there are areas with fairly extensive dumps. For my budget constraints I do not think that will make any stalking.

Thanks for everything,

Oscar.

Dillinger 04-07-2009 03:57 PM

Oscar - a .338 is a hell of a round for pigs, even big ones.

You could probably pair down the overall price by getting a .308, or similiar European equivalent, that would do the same thing and not leave as much of the boar's insides all over the landscape. :D

JD

oscar1975 04-07-2009 07:14 PM

You're right, many people in Spain used to hunt wild boar with the 30-06 points of 165 grains and the truth is going very well, but I'm a little rough:rolleyes: and I chose the 338. Also in Spain are beginning to see groups of hunters who use thicker gauges. I am in the 338 Win Mag, using the known tip of Winchester Power Point and 200 grains weight.

Regards,

Oscar.