Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Yet again another I need a new scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Yet again another I need a new scope question

I have been reading here and other places on Optics. When ever someone asks what would be a good choice or best price. There are way too many depends on the application answers without even attempting to give a suggestion. So I will try and be specific as I can. I have 2 long range rifles both just happen to be Savages.
One is chambered in 25-06 It currently has a cheap 6-24 BSA scope on it. It shoots 5 shot groups of a third of an inch at 100 yds. So far with the 25-06 I have had good success out too half a mile on paper and steel targets. I also use this rifle on varmints.. The 6 power is a bit much when a yot goes running by at 15 feet. I am thinking 3 or 4 power would be a good minimum for this rifle. And at least 14 for a max power. Also since I really want to ring out how far I can shoot I am thinking about 40 minutes of elevation adjustment minimum.
The second is chambered in 338 Lapua it currently has a cheap 8X32 Barska on it with about 50 minutes of elevation adjustment it shoots about half MOA and it ran out of adjustment at 3/4 of a mile. I have had hits out to a mile on my steel targets. And I want to go farther. As for the low power I really dont have a shopping list for it. Max power I would like at least 20 power. But there are to many factors to consider to rule out maybe as low as 14 power but no lower and 100 minutes of elevation adjustment.
Both the scopes I believe have small issues on repeatability The 25-06 used to repeat real well at 600 yds not so sure now. The 338 seems to need a shot or 2. For the record the 25-06 is currently better at 800 yards on my 2/3 size IPSC plate.
I only need to buy one scope because I have a 4.5X14X40 Leupold Mark 4 that does not have the FFP cross hairs and a mil dot reticule with 100 MOA elevation adjustment coming by the end of this week It is being delivered for around $850 out the door. The 4.5 low power is not as low as I would like for the 25-06 and the 14 power is not as high as I would like for the 338. But it will end up on one of the guns. I am going to first try it on the 25-06. Then the 338 and see what I think about the power at a mile or further.
So here are a few more items on the shopping list. I dont like a mil dot reticule I want lines and as many as possible so I can work on my range finding techniques. I want a FFP reticule so no matter what power its on If I need to make a quick hold over adjustment I dont have to look at the power and guess. It has to repeat on the adjustments No tapping on the scope or firing a round or 2 to set the scope. And last but not least. under $1000 for the 338 and under $500 for the 25-06.
If you are still reading Thank You if you have a suggestion Thank You Very Much.
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Tumble

Are you using standard bases on the rifles? If you are you might try a 22 degree base. I used it on my 40X Remington Sniper Rifle to gain the elevation I needed for longer ranges. The 4X-14X Range Scopes are a good combination. I shoot coyotes as well but find anything in the 4X power range is just fine. At 15 ft. just point the rifle at em!! If you are hunting in that tight just keep a shotgun around. I use to shoot rabbits on the run at close range and up to about 75 yards with a Marlin 39-A 22cal. and a 4X Bushnell Scope when I was a kid. And no problem.
Anyway there are all kinds of scopes that would meet the quality standard you spoke of. I personally like the 30 MM Tubes and from my past experience. If you have never used one you will find a big difference. Cabala's Alaskan Guide in the variable 30mm tube is one fine scope for the money. Around $350 or so and very clear also. I also have two Leupold Model 54912 3.5X-10 Illuminated Scopes I really like. Both are also 30mm tubes.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

TT,You will be hard pressed finding a FFP reticle scope for under 1K,unless you buy a used scope.Most run around $1500 and up.For what you are asking for,look at IOR Valdada,or Niteforce.
If you are wanting a Ballistic type reticle-i.e. a lot of lines,you even narrow your FFP choices even further. A Zeiss Rapid 1000 reticle has all the lines you should want,but is SFP,a 1" tube and not too much as far as MOA adjustment in the scope,but it does have a whole bunch of lines in your way.

IMO,a Mildot scope or a ballistic (dope) card works better than trying to look at a bunch of lines thru a scope.

I personally prefer Sightron SIII scopes for my LR rifles,they are hard to beat,and you can get them for right under $1K.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

It is hard to meet your price range with an FFP scope.

Here is about the cheapest FFP I have seen. We have another member here with a Premier Reticles scope. These people used to take Leupold scopes and make them better, boosting power, changing reticles really doing what ever you wanted to do with them.

It's a 3-15x50mm for $1650. Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm Riflescope

Nightforce only has 1 FFP scope and it goes for $2200+.

So you have one on the way and you say $1000 for one and $500 so I am taking that you have a budget up to $1500 so that PR will fit the bill just right.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Here is a 5X20 FFP for under $800 at Midway "Weaver Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-20x 50mm Side Focus First Focal Mil-Dot Reticle Matte"
Here is the link
Weaver Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-20x 50mm Side Focus First Focal Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

So it is possible to get a FFP scope for under $2200 or $1500 for that matter. But Will this scope repeat? 5 Years down the road if I make a adjustment for 1000 yards will it hit where it did 5 years before? There is a lot of choices out there for under $1000 with FFP but for 3 or 4 hundred bucks I am not sure I can trust them or even $800.
Mike

Shoot Safe And Keep Them In The Ten Ring

Old 06-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

while I like weaver scopes. I just think you can do a lot better with slightly more expensive optics. It's not just the ffp but the quality of glass nightforce leupold and premier.