Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > WTB spotting scope - have one to sell? Recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Default WTB spotting scope - have one to sell? Recommendations?

I REALLY need a spotting scope. Trying to get on target at the range beyond 150 yards or so is just not a lot of fun without one.

I can't believe how expensive these things are. Most of those that seem to be of decent quality cost more than my scope!

I don't need or want a Swarovski or Zeiss ($2600...huh?).

I'm also going to need a decent pair of binoculars some day. Could they double as a spotting scope, or will I drive myself crazy trying to hold them steady?

Does anyone have a decent spotting scope they might want to unload? Can anyone recommend a decent new one up to about $200-300?

I know all about Cabela's, Optics Planet, and samples.com. What I'm looking for is possibly a brand name or maybe recommendations on power and field of view. Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Try the link below. I have ordered telescopes and eyepieces from them in the past. They have pretty good optics.

Spotting Scopes | Orion Telescopes: Shop

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I got Shawn a nice Simmons 20 x 60 scope on Ebay for around $35.00 plus shipping. It came with a hard case and tripod. I don't really like the tripod it came with but for the price it's not a bad scope.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

A very good (HEAVY) tripod will help a marginal spotting scope. Much of the lack of clarity can be due to slight movement.

Zip tying to a sandbag is beneficial.

That said, cheap glass will almost always disappoint. It may be clear, but will probably not remain fog free.

High power is less important than high quality glass. I have a 6x European riflescope that does a better job of finding bullet holes at 100 yards than a friend's cheapie spotting scope does. His spotter is a 20-60 and even on the 20x it is too low quality to see holes at 100. And at 60x, forget it. It looks good until it is pointed at paper, then the definition goes out the window.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I have a bushnell 15-45x i got on ebay for a great price.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I'm also going to need a decent pair of binoculars some day. Could they double as a spotting scope, or will I drive myself crazy trying to hold them steady?
Yes, you will.

Just remember *in this case* bigger IS better. The more light coming in the front end (objective lens) the better off you will be. I've got a 77mm Kowa and on cloudy/overcast days it can be a challenge to see .22 cal holes at 100 yds! Even the expensive ones will leave you blind looking for holes at 200- 300 yds if there isn't enough available light.

Question...... Are we talking about paper targets here or what? If so, I've got a good tip for ya.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #7

I use the Shoot and See targets for the most part but, if I had a decent spotter, I could probably go with paper targets, because those splatter targets are crazy expensive!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
A very good (HEAVY) tripod will help a marginal spotting scope. Much of the lack of clarity can be due to slight movement.

Zip tying to a sandbag is beneficial.

That said, cheap glass will almost always disappoint. It may be clear, but will probably not remain fog free.

High power is less important than high quality glass. I have a 6x European riflescope that does a better job of finding bullet holes at 100 yards than a friend's cheapie spotting scope does. His spotter is a 20-60 and even on the 20x it is too low quality to see holes at 100. And at 60x, forget it. It looks good until it is pointed at paper, then the definition goes out the window.
I have a helluva good photo tripod because I do a lot of photography. Do most spotters have a mount that lets you mount it to this type of tripod....do you know?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I use the Shoot and See targets for the most part but, if I had a decent spotter, I could probably go with paper targets, because those splatter targets are crazy expensive!
Standard 1/4-20 thread on the spotters, same as cameras.

If you can ..... use a target backer that has a large hole in the center of it, and attach the target with the center bull over the hole. Daylight behind the target really makes them holes nice and visible.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Standard 1/4-20 thread on the spotters, same as cameras.

If you can ..... use a target backer that has a large hole in the center of it, and attach the target with the center bull over the hole. Daylight behind the target really makes them holes nice and visible.
Great....thank you!