wierd nikon issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > wierd nikon issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default wierd nikon issue

ok i have a nikon monarch african 1x4. i sighted it in on my 458 socom at a gunrange the day before hunting at 100yard zero spot on shooting about .85inch group. everything seemed fine. 24 hours later popped a whitetail doe poa shoulder round hits 5"right 5"down rear lungshot deer runs approx 100yds.

confirmed gun is off 5x5" as above resight for 100yds. 2 days of bumping around in a four wheeler later take a poke at a doe 125 yds out poa shoulder poi 8 inches right in the spine even with poa. still light out reconfirm zero and weapon is shooting 8 inches right.

i would think african monarch would stand a little jostling in a 4 wheeler. i think im gonna save up for a nightforce 2x10 for next year.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Many manufacturers actually void the warrantee if it is used in/on any off road vehicle. A buddy bought a "high end" simmons a few years ago. POI was way off when he took a shot after a 45 minute off road drive. Simmons refused to fix it or replace it. Try a Pentax. They are made for heavy recoil and abuse.
A sightron SII 2.5-10x32 could be another option.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks. thats what i need something that will take a beating. my leupold mk4 lrt m1 went through similar abuse this week and is still spot on.

im just gonna have to break down and get a much better one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Call Sightron. They will give you the best options for the price and give you a no hassle guarantee. BTW, they are U.S. based.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Its not weird it is that stupid ATV you have it thrashing around on.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Its not weird it is that stupid ATV you have it thrashing around on.
i think i expected it to be a bit more sturdy. especially labeled african and intended to be used on a heavy recoil firearm. didnt think it would need to be babied.

Last edited by JonM; 12-12-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am not sure how to put this.

First bouncing through the woods on an ATV while vibrating like crazy hitting tree limbs ect..... Is not the same as a straight recoil like a rifle.

You can put a $500 scope on a Gamo Hunter and it will be toast in a few shots. Because it is not designed to take the forces applied to it from a spring piston air rifle.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i understand. i just never experienced this as this year is the first time i have ever even been on a atv. so none of my gear has ever been subjected to it. its totally new and to me unexpected. so i need to find something for the socom that can handle that sort of conditions.

as jpatterson suggested pentax or sightron or something along those lines. my leupold mk4 lrt m1 was subjected to the same abuse and held zero but its way too big for what i am trying to achieve with the socom. so i may pull the trigger as they say on another leupold. i just dont know yet.

but what your saying makes total sense.

i lent my friend who was with me my leupold mk4 cqt for his ar15 and it seemed to havea similar issue. he had trouble with bouncing around and holding zero. but not to as bad a degree as the nikon.

Last edited by JonM; 12-13-2010 at 05:40 AM.