Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms... - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Age and eyesight here as well. However, I did take the scope off my M1A and went with a smaller diameter peep aperture a couple of years ago and it did buy me some time with the irons, but, alas, I find that I need to go back to some sort of optics for this rifle now.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

How old are you JW?

My 47th birthday is next week. While my eyes are not in bad shape, optics make it far easier to hit what I'm aiming at.

I'm guessing once you get older, you'll answer your own question quite satisfactorily.
I'm 25. I stated earlier in the thread that old age and vision problems is an excellent reason to put glass on a weapon.

I haven't really heard anything I disagree with yet. Most of it can be summed up as: its a lot easier to do what I personally want it to do.

Nothing wrong with that. And I don't have a problem with people putting optics on their weapons (except tacticool crap where guys have everything and the kitchen sink handing off the rifle. But that's more of a problem with the whole package.).

Like I said, its just not my cuppa tea.

Right now.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #33

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I prefer iron sights. I like the magnification of scopes. But I don't shoot far. Good easy to see irons I prefer over optics.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #34

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

OK, OP, you are a Marine. As such, you appreciate the value in

knowing as much information as possible, before committing a

force.

Also consider the expression " successful invention is 5% inspiration,

95% perspiration". I would opine that successful hunting is 5%

game harvesting, 95% information collection. Which, IME, means to

be a successful hunter, you may not put much wear & tear on you rifle,

but you could easily wear out more than one set of binoculars and scopes.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #35
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'm 25. I stated earlier in the thread that old age and vision problems is an excellent reason to put glass on a weapon.

I haven't really heard anything I disagree with yet. Most of it can be summed up as: its a lot easier to do what I personally want it to do.

Nothing wrong with that. And I don't have a problem with people putting optics on their weapons (except tacticool crap where guys have everything and the kitchen sink handing off the rifle. But that's more of a problem with the whole package.).

Like I said, its just not my cuppa tea.

Right now.
I doubt I would have thought much about optics when I was 25 either. Some requirements change over time.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #36

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I do shoot to 1000 yards and beyond and for that I do need the spendy optics.

Sent from my C811 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #37

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

For me the challenging of hunting is getting the animal to the point I can make the shot. The shot is sorta an anti climatic but necessary part of the hunt. I like it to be over as quickly as possible and a scope helps with that in low light conditions. FOr target shooting I love open sight. If you take up hunting when you move to NC a scoped rifle is a great tool to have.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

optics offer an advantage in speed and accuracy.

irons offer durability and extreme reliability

learn to use both and you will be well rounded. skill with one sight system does not equate to skill with the other. kinda of different techniques needed to make eitehr work well.

i do a lot of iron sight shooting one of my favorite things to do i look at optics as working tools and irons as funtime.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my personal opinion is that a person should learn the basics of shooting open sights when first learning. when i was mere youngster, my father made us learn to shoot wit open sights and it was several years before we ventured on to using a scope.

for some types of hunting, open sights still are the best option. nothing to break or fog up and they work very well with game that is up close and personal. if i were in the Alaskan wilds and there was the danger of a charging bear, something along the lines of a large calibered lever action and open sights would be my choice to carry.

some types of shooting, a scope is definately needed. long range target shooting for very small groups makes a scope neccessary. general rule of thumb is, you can't hit what you can't see.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 288 Times on 183 Posts

1.) My eyes are old. It's easier with glass.

2.). I shoot to hunt. I shoot paper to get ready to hunt, or develop accurate rounds to hunt with. It's fairer to the animals to be as accurate as possible. I shoot Weaver K-8X56 scopes with duplex reticles. The heavy wire covers 1-minutes of angle, the light wire 1/4-minute, and the circle formed by the heavy wires is 9-minutes. A big Muley buck has an 18-inch high chest, a Bull Elk is 24-inches. Knowing that I can quickly estimate ranges.

My 35-Whelen is a Ruger 77. I have a New England Custom peep site setup for it, that I carry in my pack. The dammed rifle has the most recoil of anything I've ever shot, and has a habit of destroying scopes. So the peep site is with me in case it eats another scope while I'm hunting.