Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

After I bought my Mark II and I was tempted to scope it, I also questioned whether optics were kind of considered "cheating". I was told by a very wise man who posts here every day that it's not cheating to be as good as you can be to hit your target every time. I was encouraged to learn to shoot with iron sights first, though. I almost always take the scope of my pistol when at a range as the scope is zeroed for 50 yards. But when outside plinking, that scope makes shooting so damned fun!!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

In this area brush is very thick. You qualified in a mowed field. Here you need magnification to make a 45 yard shot consistently. Most of the places I hunt have been clear cut in the past 20 years. I need magnification to see all the limbs between me and the deer. Just 4x is plenty of magnification to make a clean shot. All the brush is main reason I hunt with a shotgun. A slug will plow through light brush and make the kill. Even the best brush busting rifle cartridges are no match for a shotgun slug in heavy brush.

Most participants in this forum have a lot of experience at a range or shooting games but they have zero real life experience. I know it to be a fact from the attacks I have endured and questions like this.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #23

Liked 1973 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I see a few reasons to choose optics.

As already stated, eye problems. Magnification bringing the target, crosshairs/dot/chevron/whatever to one focal point in the retina is useful.

Target identification. Magnified optics allow the shooter a better chance and a second chance to verify a target before shooting. Wether its the right species, right point count of antlers in restricted hunting areas or hostile vs. friendly.

Speed. With non magnified optics, not having to line up three points at varying distances is faster for the eye and the brain. Putting a dot on a target and squeezing is slightly faster than looking at target aligning front and rear sights on target and then focusing in the front sight. The eye is only physically capable of truly focusing on one distance at a time. As we get older the eyes ability to shift focal distance gets slower as the muscles and connective tissue on the lens of the eye gets harder.

Low light. An illuminated reticle or dot does allow the shooter to know where the gun is aimed in low light. Again trying to line up three objects in low light may not be fast and a target or shooting opportunity may be lost.

Non magnified red dots and holographic sights also don't require the strict cheek weld and head alignment. So faster shots can be taken as long as the dot and target are both lined up.

I do thing having iron sight fundamentals is important. Optics can fail and ruin a hunt if the shooter doesn't have irons or isn't good with them.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #24
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1615 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

If you can drive a stick, isn’t driving an automatic cheating?

My bolt 22lr has a 32x scope. It’s nice to see where I hit at 100+ yards and make minor adjustments without having to change position for a spotting scope.
The 22lr semi has a ghost rear and a sort of ar15 front and it’s used to hit an orange ball ‘rapidly’ and keep it rolling further and further away until I start missing (about 70 yards).
The 9mm pistol has a RMR red dot (with BUIS). I’m cross dominant and this solves that issue. I think straight night sights may have done as well, and cheaper. It also makes it easier for me to rack.
I’ve also got a 9mm carbine which I may put a red dot on, or not. I haven’t shot it much yet. I’d like to be able to see if I can hit 50+ yards with a 9mm.
And the 22lr pistol is straight stock iron, which is actually what I’m best with, but I think that's a function of 'close' distance & low (no?) recoil.

They’re all different kinds of shooting.

I’d be happy to get half way as good as Hickok45. He regularly hits a gong in the next county, with a pistol and stock sights.

Last edited by Vincine; 01-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1736 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

With a peep I can hold 2 moa from a rest. With a scope I can hold 1 moa from a rest. That is if the rifle and ammo are up to it. My old eyes will not handle open sights anymore except on pistols at very short range. Basically I am twice as accurate with optics. I am not shooting at people and hope I never have to. The only hunting rifle I have left is my 308 BLR. It is set up with a peep and fiber optic front. I can easily add on a red dot if needed without changing the existing sights. If I were hunting feral pigs I would add the red dot. The longest shot I have ever taken on an animal was 70 yards.
Just a note; Pigs dont react to green light. You can light them up with green light and use a red dot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-10-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1770 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 353

I prefer open sight shooting whenever I can do it. It is more of a challenge and more fun in a lot of cases

When it comes to hunting, I believe the humane thing to do is make the absolute best shot placement that you can. Good glass is an integral part of this. Now, there are guys that don't care if they have to take 3-4 shots to kill a deer, I am not one of those. No matter who you are, you can't outshoot me with open sights at 300 yards if I have a decent scope. I flat out guarantee that and can back it up every day of the week, as most others here can do. So I practice long distance shooting with my hunting rifles and when long distance hunting, I use glass.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #27
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Ok everyone. Please let me start by saying that I mean no disrespect. And I would never presume to tell any of you how to setup your weapons.

All that being said, I don't understand optics and glass on firearms.

It just seems like cheating to me. Unless you're doing actual long range shooting. I understand that.

I consider long range to be 500 yards or more. This is because the Marine Corps trained me to shoot on an M16 out to 500 yards with iron sights. The front sight post is the exact width of the target we shoot at for 500 yards. So as long as we have our windage and elevation set correctly, all you have to do is cut the target in half vertically with the front sight post, apply all fundamentals, and you'll hit the black, which is a man sized silhouette.

Now, I understand not everyone can join the military to learn how to shoot properly. But there are plenty of good trainers out there who can teach better than what I received, or at least AS good.

So, why not shoot on irons? I think they're slightly more challenging and therefore much more fun.

Most hunting occurs at less than 100 yards in North America. Yet a lot of hunters tend to load up their rifles with the best glass, even if the caliber can't really reach out as far as the round itself. Different platforms for different applications, right? I mean let's be honest - a 30-30 isn't going to reach out further than maybe 200 yards with the best ammo. Yet people load their 30-30s up with optics. I'm gonna be honest, part of our yearly qualification is shooting moving targets (walkers) at 100 yards. I learned this on irons. 200 yards is the closest distance we shoot for static targets. I learned all this on irons. Yes, we shoot with ACOGs now, and I hate them. I can use them well, but they're not my cup of tea.
So why optics? Extreme distance shooting? Lazyness? Preference? Why?

Again, I mean no disrespect. And as said, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how to deal with their equipment or how to shoot (just ask my wife about her pistol shooting grip!).
How old are you JW?

My 47th birthday is next week. While my eyes are not in bad shape, optics make it far easier to hit what I'm aiming at.

I'm guessing once you get older, you'll answer your own question quite satisfactorily.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Ill put a holo or a red dot on my AR but that is in conjunction with my buis. I was a designated marksman in the Army so I love staying frosty and doing long distance shooting so I scope my long distance rifles. My hunting rifle depending on where im hunting ie open fields or forest makes me vary what i carry optics wise. As for scoping a lever gun the ONLY way I would consider it is if it was a repro scope that was meant for it like this http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-malcolm-scopes.html

Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Ill put a holo or a red dot on my AR but that is in conjunction with my buis. I was a designated marksman in the Army so I love staying frosty and doing long distance shooting so I scope my long distance rifles. My hunting rifle depending on where im hunting ie open fields or forest makes me vary what i carry optics wise. As for scoping a lever gun the ONLY way I would consider it is if it was a repro scope that was meant for it like this http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-malcolm-scopes.html
Interesting. But, nope, I'm never going to scope my lever action rifle.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I know it to be a fact from the attacks I have endured and questions like this.
Questions like this huh? So hearing peoples personal reasons for using optics makes me inexperienced?

True I've never shot a person or hunted but that doesn't make me inexperienced. I've put more rounds down range and received better training than most people here.

Your response started out as good and insightful and then your elitist attitude showed through at the end of your post.

The attitude was unnecessary.

Always have clean socks.