Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7112 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 8632

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Did you buy the Ruger scoped or did you add it later? Just curious.
Bought it like this............(sorry for the poor quality picture)

And it now looks like this..........

People Like This 
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #12

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Originally my primary reason was Speed.
I am not a hunter and view my rifles as tools of conflict and so speed is of the essence.

With a Red dot or a Holographic you dont have to achieve perfect ( or even good) sight alignment before you pull the trigger so it really speeds up your ability to engage.

Now I have another reason.

I recently had eye surgery and while I now no longer need contacts and my vision w/o contacts is now 20/15 (from 20/500) on my shooting eye (the lefts outcome was only 20/50 but it was from 20/700) the addition of the internal lens (it was ICL surgery) created significant far sighedness where there was none before.

(before I was 20/20 both eyes with contacts and little to no farsightedness)

I can no longer see my FSP properly sharply.

It has really impacted my shooting with Irons, to the point where the fuzziness affects my POI in the x axis, up/down ....makes me miss shots.
With a redot or a HWS and the way they are collimated my farsighedness has little effect.
(a tiny effect with the AIMpoint and no negative effect with the Eotech)

In very bright sunlight my pupils pinpoint.. so my farsightedness is less bad but even then its still a significant problem for my X axis POI.

I own a total of 4 electrooptics, 2 Aimpoint PRO and 2 EoTechs so I will never be w/o when I need a rifle.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 01-10-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Bought it like this............(sorry for the poor quality picture)

And it now looks like this..........
Its amazing how different that thing looks.

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Originally my primary reason was Speed.
I am not a hunter and view my rifles as tools of conflict and so speed is of the essence.

With a Red dot or a Holographic you dont have to achieve perfect ( or even good) sight alignment before you pull the trigger so it really speeds up your ability to engage.

Now I have another reason.

I recently had eye surgery and while I now no longer need contacts and my vision w/o contacts is now 20/15 (from 20/500) on my shooting eye (the lefts outcome was only 20/50 but it was from 20/700) the addition of the internal lens (it was ICL surgery) created significant far sighedness where there was none before.

(before I was 20/20 both eyes with contacts and little to no farsightedness)

I can no longer see my FSP properly sharply.

It has really impacted my shooting with Irons, to the point where the fuzziness affects my POI in the x axis, up/down ....makes me miss shots.
With a redot or a HWS and the way they are collimated my farsighedness has little effect.
(a tiny effect with the AIMpoint and no negative effect with the Eotech)

In very bright sunlight my pupils pinpoint.. so my farsightedness is less bad but even then its still a significant problem for my X axis POI.

I own a total of 4 electrooptics, 2 Aimpoint PRO and 2 EoTechs so I will never be w/o when I need a rifle.
Very honest reasons and thank you.

Its interesting that you are willing to sacrifice a bit of accuracy (I mean precision) for speed. A lot of people go the opposite direction. Although I can't disagree with your logic.

Always have clean socks.

bluez Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #15

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

For fastest possible shooting in hunting situations such as deer drives where we are in woods not fields and don't have many openings to get on target and a deer may be moving fast I prefer a peep sight, next would be standard open sight, after that would be a scope. When hunting from a blind or tree stand where the deer are likely standing or walking slowly and there is the possibility of a long shot I prefer the scope, however the biggest reason I decided to go with scope for stand type hunting is light collection. If you have a deer standing 90 yards off and it is getting on towards dark or it is early in the morning and not quite full daylight, a good scope will collect enough light to make me able to distinguish what I am looking at, buck or doe or fawn, etc. This is impossible without a scope, and I don't carry binoculars.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I hunt boar at night. I could not see the game without my x56 scope. The wide lens allows enough light to verify that I am making a heart shot, and allows for identification. Also, a scope helps me ensure that I am making a shot that will lessen the suffering of an animal. All my harvests have been one shot kills. It is not cheating. It is being humane.

"Feuer Frei!"

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #17

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I didn't learn to shoot in the Army, but they did hone my rudimentary skills to a pretty high level of proficiency. Like 357, we used iron sights and I prefer iron to this day. That said, every Soldier and Marine who deployed to Iraq and/or Afghanistan has an ACOG equipped weapon. I couldn't understand why till I used one. Now I know. Every shooter should learn the basics on iron sights, but optics do make good shooters better and average/below average shooters competent.

Last edited by Donn; 01-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1637

The quarry deserves the best possible shot placement, to minimize suffering. The best legal, available sighting system not only puts more meat in the larder, it is more humane.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

People Like This 
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #19

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
... and I'm only 25.
I'm 25 also - just celebrating my 40 Anniversary of being 25.

Personally I don't think optics are needed on pistols - just my opinion. Rifles are a different story. We set targets at 100, 200 yards and it isn't possible to see a .22 LR hole at those distances without some help.

The optics can be either a rifle mounted scope, hand held scope or a spotting scope. We will be buying a rifle scope and use it for multiple purposes.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

My Mosin/Nagant, Enfields, Mausers, and K31s wear iron. My Marlin levers- iron. My Savage 17 HMR has enough glass that I can read the lettering on the international space station. My .220 Swift- folks that handle the Hubble Space Telescope asked if they can check theirs against mine. Have a couple of .308s/ .243s that are set up for shooting across a beanfield (deer). They wear much smaller glass.

When shooting a peoples at a distance, a hit anywhere on center mass was good- (I learned on the M14, and our long targets were 700 meters)

I like critters more than I like some peoples. I do not want to wound a critter, but get a clean, 1 shot, Dead-right-there, fell over where he was standing shot. Need to pick my bullet placement to go into about a 4-5 inch zone. Scope helps.

Can also help determine- are those antlers? Or a branch?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This