Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/why-optics-opening-can-worms-102597/)

JW357 01-10-2014 04:03 AM

Why Optics? Opening a Can of Worms...

Ok everyone. Please let me start by saying that I mean no disrespect. And I would never presume to tell any of you how to setup your weapons.

All that being said, I don't understand optics and glass on firearms.

It just seems like cheating to me. Unless you're doing actual long range shooting. I understand that.

I consider long range to be 500 yards or more. This is because the Marine Corps trained me to shoot on an M16 out to 500 yards with iron sights. The front sight post is the exact width of the target we shoot at for 500 yards. So as long as we have our windage and elevation set correctly, all you have to do is cut the target in half vertically with the front sight post, apply all fundamentals, and you'll hit the black, which is a man sized silhouette.

Now, I understand not everyone can join the military to learn how to shoot properly. But there are plenty of good trainers out there who can teach better than what I received, or at least AS good.

So, why not shoot on irons? I think they're slightly more challenging and therefore much more fun.

Most hunting occurs at less than 100 yards in North America. Yet a lot of hunters tend to load up their rifles with the best glass, even if the caliber can't really reach out as far as the round itself. Different platforms for different applications, right? I mean let's be honest - a 30-30 isn't going to reach out further than maybe 200 yards with the best ammo. Yet people load their 30-30s up with optics. I'm gonna be honest, part of our yearly qualification is shooting moving targets (walkers) at 100 yards. I learned this on irons. 200 yards is the closest distance we shoot for static targets. I learned all this on irons. Yes, we shoot with ACOGs now, and I hate them. I can use them well, but they're not my cup of tea.
So why optics? Extreme distance shooting? Lazyness? Preference? Why?

Again, I mean no disrespect. And as said, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how to deal with their equipment or how to shoot (just ask my wife about her pistol shooting grip!).

JW357 01-10-2014 04:06 AM

I realized that I didn't get all my thoughts out as well as I would have liked. I had too much I wanted to say and now I forget some of it. Plus its 11:06 pm so that doesn't help.

But I opened the can of worms, so to speak. So I look forward to the ensuing discussion.

Axxe55 01-10-2014 04:07 AM

honestly, old age is setting in and my eyesight just isn't what it use to be, even with glasses. it is much harder for me to use open sights like i did even just five years ago.

i would never scope my Winchester model 94 30-30 for love or money, no matter how bad my eyesight gets!

IMO, some riflles are meant to be scoped and some aren't.

JW357 01-10-2014 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1479143)
honestly, old age is setting in and my eyesight just isn't what it use to be, even with glasses. it is much harder for me to use open sights like i did even just five years ago.

This, to me, is possibly the best reason to scope a weapon if not shooting at extreme distances. We can't always help our body objecting to age. I have experienced it some already, and I'm only 25.

DeltaF 01-10-2014 04:11 AM

Easy. I live in the sticks. It's pitch black at night. I don't have NVGs. I want to know where I'm aiming my rifle without giving away my position. Therefore I at least need tritium night sights, which I have on my Glock, or a red dot sight which I have on my AR. I've tried shooting animals in the dark with a shotgun that had no night sights and it was an epic fail.

winds-of-change 01-10-2014 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1479143)

i would never scope my Winchester model 94 30-30 for love or money, no matter how bad my eyesight gets!

IMO, some riflles are meant to be scoped and some aren't.

I have a lot of fun shooting my scoped Ruger Mark II.

I wanted to scope my rifle but was told a scoped lever action rifle just doesn't 'look right'. I thought about it and agreed. The rifle will remain unscoped.

JW357 01-10-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF (Post 1479148)
Easy. I live in the sticks. It's pitch black at night. I don't have NVGs. I want to know where I'm aiming my rifle without giving away my position. Therefore I at least need tritium night sights, which I have on my Glock, or a red dot sight which I have on my AR. I've tried shooting animals in the dark with a shotgun that had no night sights and it was an epic fail.

That's interesting. So how so you illuminate the animal without giving away your position? Surely a red dot doesn't so THAT. Although truth be told I've never used a red dot.

Night sigts, I understand. Even though I guess technically they're not "irons," they're still a traditional aiming system.

But again all those things only allow you to immunitate your SIGHTS, right? Not the target?

JW357 01-10-2014 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1479151)
I have a lot of fun shooting my scoped Ruger Mark II.

Did you buy the Ruger scoped or did you add it later? Just curious.

DeltaF 01-10-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357
That's interesting. So how so you illuminate the animal without giving away your position? Surely a red dot doesn't so THAT. Although truth be told I've never used a red dot. Night sigts, I understand. Even though I guess technically they're not "irons," they're still a traditional aiming system. But again all those things only allow you to immunitate your SIGHTS, right? Not the target?

I don't necessarily need to illuminate the target. I can usually see well enough to find it in the dark. But seeing black sights in the dark is a totally different story.

texaswoodworker 01-10-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1479142)
I realized that I didn't get all my thoughts out as well as I would have liked. I had too much I wanted to say and now I forget some of it. Plus its 11:06 pm so that doesn't help.

But I opened the can of worms, so to speak. So I look forward to the ensuing discussion.

My eye sight really sucks. I can barely make out the black on a standard rifle target at 100 yards. Any farther, and I'm just guessing where the center is. Though, I shoot for accuracy. I want single hole groups. For me, having hits on the black is only part of my objective. This is why I have a 6-24x scope on my 30-06. I even have my AR scoped with a 3-9x Bushnell Banner. LOVE that set up. It can easily shoot sub MOA groups with some of my reloads. :D

Then again, I will probably never scope my Mosin.