Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6007 Times on 3403 Posts
Likes Given: 5616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is? "

Stiffiling my urge to answer otherwise, I'll just say we can't. Not even IF Wallyworld would allow ua take one outta it's blister pack.
Simple, really. avoid Wally-world to start with.

Next, if it costs lost than $400, it's probably not very good quality..

Winston Churchill

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Wrong locutus-there are ALOT of great scopes that are $200-$375 that are great glass. Burris, redfield, Weaver, certain Bushnell and tasco, Pentax, Nikon, Leopold all come to mind and all have great optics WAY below $400

Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

i think there are some decent scopes in the range of $200-400. my opinion is, that the more you spend the better quality of scope you will have. now a big factor that sets what scope is good enough is it depends on what you are trying to shoot at, a target or a game animal. so it comes down to this, you can't hit what you can't see. so the scope that works fine for deer hunting at 300 yards may not be acceptable for target shooting at the same distance when trying to get very small groups on paper. so with target shooting you may need to spend more to get better quality optics to have better views at higher magnifications.

my suggestion is to try the scope outside and see what it looks like. another point to consider is this, we all have different eyesight and what works well for one person may not suit another person.

spend as much as you can afford. understandabily, lots of people have budgets to work with and can only spend so much on a scope. nothing wrong with that. if you have a budget of $250 for a scope, then i'm pretty sure most will want the best $250 scope available. my suggestion is, to shop around and look at different scopes and see what suits your particular needs.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

There are many scopes in the $250-500 range that will suit most hunting needs.
I can't say that I don't have any cheap scopes,but everyone of them resides on a Rimfire,and for 50-100 yards they serve their purpose,and if I break them,they just go in the trash.Most were gifts by people that have no knowledge about optics.

Times are tough,and you just have to get what you can afford,but you can also buy a much higher grade of scope used for what you will pay for a new "Junk" scope,and be much happier in the long run.

There are many websites,and forums that have used scopes for sale,and there are also many factory refurbished scopes on different sites that are really good deals.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
There are many scopes in the $250-500 range that will suit most hunting needs.
I can't say that I don't have any cheap scopes,but everyone of them resides on a Rimfire,and for 50-100 yards they serve their purpose,and if I break them,they just go in the trash.Most were gifts by people that have no knowledge about optics.

Times are tough,and you just have to get what you can afford,but you can also buy a much higher grade of scope used for what you will pay for a new "Junk" scope,and be much happier in the long run.

There are many websites,and forums that have used scopes for sale,and there are also many factory refurbished scopes on different sites that are really good deals.
Pawn shops are another good place to look for a good used scope.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another good source for a cheaper quality scope are some of the sites that sell scopes that are discontinued or closouts. there can be some very deep discounts on quality name brand scopes. sometimes they discontinue a line of scopes to add a newer and improved version, and there is nothing wrong with the discontinued model.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #27
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Pawn shops are another good place to look for a good used scope.
The pawn shops in my area always want more for their stuff than it would cost you brand new.I don't know how they stay in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
another good source for a cheaper quality scope are some of the sites that sell scopes that are discontinued or closouts. there can be some very deep discounts on quality name brand scopes. sometimes they discontinue a line of scopes to add a newer and improved version, and there is nothing wrong with the discontinued model.
I recently purchased 2 closeout Weaver Classic Extreme 6-24x50 scopes and paid less than 1/2 of what they sold for regularly.I'll take a $700 scope for $350 anytime.
Just like my Swarovski Pro Hunter,it was replaced with the Z6,and you could get great deals on the Pro Hunters while they lasted.
After the SHOT show is also a great time to pickup great deals on displayed optics,there are several places that sell those also.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

The pawn shops in my area always want more for their stuff than it would cost you brand new.I don't know how they stay in business.

I recently purchased 2 closeout Weaver Classic Extreme 6-24x50 scopes and paid less than 1/2 of what they sold for regularly.I'll take a $700 scope for $350 anytime.
Just like my Swarovski Pro Hunter,it was replaced with the Z6,and you could get great deals on the Pro Hunters while they lasted.
After the SHOT show is also a great time to pickup great deals on displayed optics,there are several places that sell those also.
Ya I hear ya on the prices pawn shops charge. I have a good deal around here on em just because I am on good business terms w the few I deal w.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #29

Liked 775 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification
Thats the one I have... Its as clear as any other scope Ive looked though.. Ive had it for a few years with absolutely no problems, only paid $30 for it on sale..
As for power I cant really comment, the only other scoped rifles I have are a Winchester 63 .22 with a old 2.5x Weaver, and a Mosin with a 1942 PU... Its just as clear and more powerful than both..

I only buy military guns and cant afford the scopes they use... (Well, besides the Mosin one..)

Last edited by Trez; 06-24-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Tx hit the nail. Most hunters around here will do fine with a $250 scope since most of their shots will be 100 yds or less. If you want dependability at longer ranges you will have to spend more.
In optics as well as a lot of other stuff, you generally get exactly what you are willing to pay for.