Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Try focusing at the highest power, then backing it down. If it stays in focus, then it's good ("parfocal") ... it it falls out of focus (from high mag to low mag), it's poorly designed or defective.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadjcb

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?
The internals on cheap optics are very lackin to say the least, single erector systems are common so when u turn the power up the poi changes, but just becouse tight budget dosent mean you cant get lower cost good optics like a sightron, or vortex, nikon pro staff, bushnell, you can find good deals on not so junk scopes

Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

Default I think I got my answer.

This is called shifting zero.

I think I just got my answer from a post by M14sRock.

All who wander are not lost and many who travel a
straight path do not know where they are going.

The Light shines into the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

99.999999% of the cost of a high-end scope is attributable to the quality of the optics and the precise methods used to grind, curve and polish the lenses. Can you guess where the cost cutting gets done in a low priced scope? The mass produced optics in a cheaper scope simply lack the precision needed to properly collect and focus the light. Aberrations on cheap optics are not unlike a human suffering from an astigmatism.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

Because cheap scopes are junk??

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.
I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)

Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)
I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure

Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure
The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification