Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/why-do-cheap-scopes-lose-their-sighting-when-adjusting-magnification-66929/)

Nomadjcb 06-23-2012 12:31 AM

Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?

scottmac 06-23-2012 12:44 AM

Try focusing at the highest power, then backing it down. If it stays in focus, then it's good ("parfocal") ... it it falls out of focus (from high mag to low mag), it's poorly designed or defective.

Muliemaster 06-23-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadjcb

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?

The internals on cheap optics are very lackin to say the least, single erector systems are common so when u turn the power up the poi changes, but just becouse tight budget dosent mean you cant get lower cost good optics like a sightron, or vortex, nikon pro staff, bushnell, you can find good deals on not so junk scopes

Nomadjcb 06-23-2012 12:49 AM

I think I got my answer.

This is called shifting zero.

I think I just got my answer from a post by M14sRock.

Ranger-6 06-23-2012 12:59 AM

I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.

Jpyle 06-23-2012 02:13 AM

99.999999% of the cost of a high-end scope is attributable to the quality of the optics and the precise methods used to grind, curve and polish the lenses. Can you guess where the cost cutting gets done in a low priced scope? The mass produced optics in a cheaper scope simply lack the precision needed to properly collect and focus the light. Aberrations on cheap optics are not unlike a human suffering from an astigmatism.

locutus 06-23-2012 04:57 PM

Because cheap scopes are junk??:p

Trez 06-23-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6 (Post 845911)
I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.

I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)

Muliemaster 06-23-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez

I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)

I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure

Marlinman 06-23-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster

I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure

The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification