Whats the most you would spend on a scope? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Whats the most you would spend on a scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Correct me if I'm wrong (my first scope is on its way via UPS and it is only a Nikon), but the best scopes have the most marginal utility on the best rifles, right?

To put a $5000 scope on a Rem 700 would be super overkill, right?

My AR-15 is not built for hunting and has no parts that are really intended for sub-MOA shooting. To spend more than $500 would be a waste on my rifle.

Have you told us what rifle you're looking to outfit?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (my first scope is on its way via UPS and it is only a Nikon), but the best scopes have the most marginal utility on the best rifles, right?

To put a $5000 scope on a Rem 700 would be super overkill, right?

My AR-15 is not built for hunting and has no parts that are really intended for sub-MOA shooting. To spend more than $500 would be a waste on my rifle.

Have you told us what rifle you're looking to outfit?
Yes it is a .308 remington mod 700

Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Please describe what you consider as long range shooting. It will greatly help the knowledgeable ones help you better.
If your speaking about distance Im talking about 300 - 500 yards!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #14

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Chris does bring up a good point. Intended purpose. Here comes the What if.
If I buy a $369.00 scope( that is what my Sightron above cost 3+ years ago) and it performs excellent. It has a no question guarantee, would you try one?

Chris, the point in which you need to clarify is whether the 700 is a stock hunter, or a custom built gun.
The 6-20x42AO Sightron SII that sits on my CZ 527 in .223 is amazing. The only thing that would make it better is a caliber specific scope. The issue there is bullet weight.

I understand that higher priced scopes are normally better constructed, and have better glass, but where do you draw the line for intended use?

At 400 yards, my hunting max range in 7mm RM my Weaver V10 is perfect. It sits on a Savage 110 that cost $379.00 quite a few years ago as a package gun. Works very well for its' purpose.
I don't know if a $1000.00 scope would work any better.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
If your speaking about distance Im talking about 300 - 500 yards!
Most people I know would not categorize 300-500 as long range shooting. This info should help you get better recommendations.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have paid as much as $2500 and as little as $50, it was always about the scopes features and intended use.

A lot of attention is paid to "good glass", but the optical qualites of a scope are extememly subjective, each person will see something slightly different in the same scope.

The intended use should determine what features you should seek and ultimately the price you pay; for example:
The ability to range targets at a variety of magnifications may mean a reticle in FFP, and they will cost more than an SFP setup.
The need to make shots based on adjusting elevation turrets vs holdover, a scope designed to make accurate and repeatable adjustments will have durable internals with finger-adjustable turrets and will cost more than a scope with inexpensive internals that are not designed to be for frequent changes (or holdup to the recoil of high power cartridges).
Along with the accurate adjustments having a "zero-stop" allows the shooter to go back to his baseline with minimal effort but adds to the complexity of the turrets and cost.
These are just some examples of the things to look for and the reasons a $2-3000 scope MIGHT make more sense than a $2-300 scope.

IMO basing the cost of the scope on the price of the rifle is silly.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I personally would spend $1k to $3k, on a target/varmint/long range scope and about $500 to $1k on a hunting scope for local big game, Deer etc. I think for long range shooting Nightforce, S&B, Zeiss, March,US optics, Premier all make very good optics. I would try to narrow down just what my intended use would be and pick the scope best suited to my needs and then take the best deal. Easier said than done !

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put a Nikon Prostaff BDC on my Remington 700 30 06. Paid less then 150.00 new. For what I am using the gun for it works fine. I would spend more on a scope if I was big game hunting in Alaska or a SWAT sniper. Some people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a $5,000 scope even if they were inside the barn. Get what you can afford for the purpose you are using the gun for. Don't just wait till hunting season to sight it in. Practice with it all year long.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #19

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
Whats the most you would spend on a scope either for a centerfire or rimfire rifle? How much for hunting and how much for target shooting/competition? Im just curious to see since Im thinking about investing in a real high quality scope for my remington 700 .308 . If I was to buy one what do you think would be the best scope for long range shooting?

Thanks
So far my most expensive scope is a Swarovsky Z6 on my Remington 700 AWR (custom shop) .300 WinMag. I think it was like $1,700. On the target side my .308 has a Leupold Mark 4 that set me back about $1,300 bought based on the recommendation of folks that take theirs on the field for real. They also told me that if I want to jump higher to go straight to the Schmidt Bender for about $2,800 which I MIGHT do someday...

Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #20

Liked 1321 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 636

It all comes down to the quality of glass that you want to shoot with.

Most people have it in their head that a $300 dollar scope will work as good as a $2000 scope.For how they use it,it might.

I don't buy scopes for what they cost,but for what they will be used for.I want to be able to see what I'm aiming at,and with most lower end scopes,they work great if you are using them on a bright sunshiny day,but get a foggy or overcast,a little rain,etc.,then they don't perform very well.

You also have to look at the ranges that you intend to shoot.If you shoot long range targets,the scope must have enough adjustment ability in order for you to adjust for the shots.For most people this isn't an issue,but it is something that most lower priced scopes don't have.

A scope isn't going to make you a better shooter,but a good scope will let the shooter see clearly what they are aiming at in the worst conditions.

If you ever look thru a quality higher end scope,you will see the big difference in the quality,and clarity of the glass & coatings that the lower-mid range scopes don't use.
It will ruin you forever.