What's the best mount for adding a modern scope to a "Mosin Nagant 91/30"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > What's the best mount for adding a modern scope to a "Mosin Nagant 91/30"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What's the best mount for adding a modern scope to a "Mosin Nagant 91/30"

Hey guys, this is my first time at a forum like this one, and finding it was a big relief for me to. I recently came a cross a small, family owned, gun shop that's in a county close to my own area, about a 30 minute drive basically. Anyway, they had four Mosin Nagant Rifles for sale, and I could tell they were 91/30's, and they were selling each of them for $120.
I plan on buying one of those rifles, but I'd like some advice on that. When I know how to use the gun better after some target practice at a range, I plan to add a scope to it. However, I wanted to attach a modern scope, not the ones they used during WW2. However, this would be my very first gun, so do any of you have any ideas on what I should look for as in the way of a mount, and suggest a general person who'd know how to set the aiming right for the scope? I already have a scope in my possession, nice one too. I'll be asking a round in other forums as well related to the gun in question.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Unless you buy a mount kit for it and have the rifle tapped for it, and a bent bolt kit. You will have to use a scout setup

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Craig, welcome to the forum. Since this is your first time, we'll be gentle. (We get rough later on. )

The 91/30 is not easily adapted to a modern day civilian rifle scope- the design predates most of them, and does readily lend itself to mounting a scope the way you would on, say, a Winchester Mdl 70, or a Marlin 336.

First problem is these load from the top, and mounts straight above the bore interfere with that. Second problem is that straight bolt handle that will whack the scope- it needs to be replaced if you are mounting a scope in the usual spot. Third problem- scope will be mounted so high, you are trying to hold your cheek in the air above the stock, rather than on the stock.

One way around this is the use of a "scout" mounting. This uses a long eye relief scope (made to be used 12-14 inches away from your eye). These are usually mounted forward of the receiver, so do not mess up loading, get hit by bolt handle, etc.

At a minimum, for conventional scope, you will need a mount, to have receiver drilled and tapped for mounting screws, and a replacement bolt handle welded on. If you Google Moisin scope mount, you can find them for anywhere from $10 to $100. But by the time you finish EVERYTHING, you will have spent more on the scope that you did on the rifle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Here are a couple of examples of the mounts and kits:

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/62110

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/59764

My buddy has the second one that mounts on the rear sight. He likes it and it is simple to install. I put the other one up there to give you an idea of one of the other options. I also would advise you to get a recoil pad.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

If it will be your first rifle, forget the scope. Learn to shoot it the traditional way. The Mosin-Nagant was used by one of the most sucessful snipers in history. In about 3 months he killed over 500 Russians with a Mosin....using iron sights; no scope.

These rifles are also valuable historical artifacts from one of the most violent conflicts in history. They deserve enough respect to not be drilled and tapped. When you drill the first hole, you will destroy the intergrity of the historical aspects of the gun.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If it will be your first rifle, forget the scope. Learn to shoot it the traditional way. The Mosin-Nagant was used by one of the most sucessful snipers in history. In about 3 months he killed over 500 Russians with a Mosin....using iron sights; no scope.

These rifles are also valuable historical artifacts from one of the most violent conflicts in history. They deserve enough respect to not be drilled and tapped. When you drill the first hole, you will destroy the intergrity of the historical aspects of the gun.
Good to see a post from you chain! I think you meant "germans".

NEVER FORGET

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks bud. Forgot about that, and I agree. But that where the problem is. I did a lot more research, and found out that the longest and average shot most snipers made was 1300 meters, and math is not a strong-suit of mine, so after calculating the distance in yards, well the numbers got to me. Another thing I found out is that with the Range Finder, the highest level on it is 20, and so after calculating, I came around 65 meters between each level, 32.5 for each sub-level. But still, numbers aren't a strength of mine. especially when it comes to measuring distance. Anyone got any ideas on that???

Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Craig- In WW 2, snipers were not taking average shots of 1300 meters. Nor anything close to it. Not sure I understand your question. Can you try that again, please?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Junior View Post
Thanks bud. Forgot about that, and I agree. But that where the problem is. I did a lot more research, and found out that the longest and average shot most snipers made was 1300 meters, and math is not a strong-suit of mine, so after calculating the distance in yards, well the numbers got to me. Another thing I found out is that with the Range Finder, the highest level on it is 20, and so after calculating, I came around 65 meters between each level, 32.5 for each sub-level. But still, numbers aren't a strength of mine. especially when it comes to measuring distance. Anyone got any ideas on that???
Approx 1,600 meters (1.61 kilometers) is equal to 1 mile. At 1.3 kilometers a WWII sniper would be making a shot at over 3/4 of a mile, not likely. Most snipers today with state of the art equipment and years of training would have difficulty with that distance...a tall order for a peasant conscript with little or no formal training.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm trying to find out what the range of the rifle is, and divide it by 40, and make the calculations in Meters, not yards. I did a lot of research to find out that the Russians use meters rather than yards, and the rifle's Range Finder operates the meters into 40 levels.
Downsouth was right, and working on the orin sights might get me a basic idea on how to use the gun, and trying to use a Scope on your first tries might not be a good idea. Still, I'd like to get a scope mounted onto it, and I found out how to mount a modern scope with a special kit I learned about for all Mosin Nagant rifles.