You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

What size scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

When purchasing a hunting scope it is not just about power of magnification. The Field of view at is a major issue. The higher magnification scopes are great for paper and Prairie Dogs. Higher magnification translates to more narrow fields of view.
For a big game hunting scope a wide field of view is necessary. That Bull elk will start moving and walk right out of your limited field scope. I have used a six power Austrian scope with heavy wires for many years.
People Like This 
Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #12

Liked 1677 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Price, and unless you are using a good rest, the higher magnifications are just going to introduce more 'shake' in the viewfinder. From your breathing, wind, shooting position, etc. My scope will go to 24 power, but the only time I really use it is to view the moons of jupiter! When Im shooting, the 6 power setting gives me the widest field of view, and less shake or wobble. Using a rest will get rid of the wobble, but by the time you find a good rest, your animal will more than likely have run off.
Maybe it's just me,but I have never had any problems hunting with any of my rifles with my Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,and I have 5 of them on my long range set-up's,as well as two 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme's on my 223 Varmint rigs.
I've shot hogs and coyotes at under 50 yards running with these scopes. Now,they are always set at 6x when hunting,unless I need to reach out pretty far on the critters.It all comes down to being used to your equipment.

25/06-

What size scope - Optics & Mounts

223-

North American Hunting Club

Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #13

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

For hunting I like just a plain 4x fixed power scope. I can cover anything from 3 to 300 yards with a 4x scope easily. I have a 4x on my 270. The only time I use the 270 is open fields where it is difficult to estimate the range. What looks like 300 yards can easily be 350 yards or more. I do carry binoculars when I hunt so I don't have to use my scope for binoculars.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Price, and unless you are using a good rest, the higher magnifications are just going to introduce more 'shake' in the viewfinder. From your breathing, wind, shooting position, etc. My scope will go to 24 power, but the only time I really use it is to view the moons of jupiter! When Im shooting, the 6 power setting gives me the widest field of view, and less shake or wobble. Using a rest will get rid of the wobble, but by the time you find a good rest, your animal will more than likely have run off.
Fair enough, but a 3x12x40 set on 3 isn't any more shaky than the 3x9. Granted many time folks will buy the larger scope just because the 3x9 is so common. The other thing is it's hard to get side focus or AO in many cases on the 3x9 models. If you do shoot out to longer ranges it helps to be able to focus the scope. I will admit that for hunting I set my AO on 200 and forget about it. What seems to happen with long shots is first you find a rest then get the target in the crosshairs and fiddle with the power ring and focus. At shorter ranges you can't do this cause your critter will be long gone. Oh yeah, you said that

Last edited by p35bhp55; 11-07-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Fair enough, but a 3x12x40 set on 3 isn't any more shaky than the 3x9. Granted many time folks will buy the larger scope just because the 3x9 is so common. The other thing is it's hard to get side focus or AO in many cases on the 3x9 models. If you do shoot out to longer ranges it helps to be able to focus the scope. I will admit that for hunting I set my AO on 200 and forget about it. What seems to happen with long shots is first you find a rest then get the target in the crosshairs and fiddle with the power ring and focus. At shorter ranges you can't do this cause your critter will be long gone. Oh yeah, you said that

Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #16

The scope is focused on the Subjective lens. The Adjustable Objective lens is usually reserved for scopes of 10X and above. The AO is not a simple focus adjustment. The AO is for "Parallax" corrections at specific ranges. Scopes with critical Parallax correction in higher powers are intended for obtaining a positive cross wire to target sighting point. I have seen such references as "View Finders" sorry these are not cameras.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6753 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Maybe it's just me,but I have never had any problems hunting with any of my rifles with my Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,and I have 5 of them on my long range set-up's,as well as two 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme's on my 223 Varmint rigs.
I've shot hogs and coyotes at under 50 yards running with these scopes. Now,they are always set at 6x when hunting,unless I need to reach out pretty far on the critters.It all comes down to being used to your equipment.
Yep, its you, and your in Texas. Come up here and you would be lucky to see 10 to 15 feet past some of the trees. For my bear gun a leupold 1.75 x6 can barely focus on those kinds of distances, but I'd bet your rifle that your scope wouldnt.
I'd luv to have some of that magic equipment but alas, Im still getting used to what I gots.
Iron sights are perfect for most conditions up here.

There is a trail through here:

Here is some pics from work tracking a moose

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 11-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The scope is focused on the Subjective lens. The Adjustable Objective lens is usually reserved for scopes of 10X and above. The AO is not a simple focus adjustment. The AO is for "Parallax" corrections at specific ranges. Scopes with critical Parallax correction in higher powers are intended for obtaining a positive cross wire to target sighting point. I have seen such references as "View Finders" sorry these are not cameras.
On a practical basis some pretty well informed folks disagree. I don't know anyone who doesn't turn the SF or AO till it is the clearest view at whatever distance and power they are using and if you look the numbers on the dial seldom matches the range you are shooting to.
This blurb is from Randy Wakeman at the Guns and Shooting online site.

V. What of Adjustable Objectives?

With the exception of air rifles, varmint rifles, and small game applications, adjustable objectives (AO) serve no particular purpose on hunting scopes. Certainly they add little benefit to a big game riflescope. AO does add length, weight, bulk, complexity, and cost. And just because the dial tells you your scope is "parallax free" does not mean it really is.

Parallax is not readily noticeable until you hit 8X magnification or so, far more magnification than you need at even 300 yards on a big game animal. You may not be able to mount the scope as low as you wish with an adjustable objective, flip up caps can be hard to use, and the last thing hunters should be thinking about with fur in their cross-hairs is tinkering with an adjustable objective setting. An AO might be handy as a focusing tool at the range, but in the field it is hardly a vital feature.

An adjustable objective is a focusing tool; the "side focus" moniker on some newer scopes speaks to that. At least the side focus models are less cumbersome.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #19

Liked 1677 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Yep, its you, and your in Texas. Come up here and you would be lucky to see 10 to 15 feet past some of the trees. For my bear gun a leupold 1.75 x6 can barely focus on those kinds of distances, but I'd bet your rifle that your scope wouldnt.
I'd luv to have some of that magic equipment but alas, Im still getting used to what I gots.
Iron sights are perfect for most conditions up here.

There is a trail through here:

Here is some pics from work tracking a moose
Anna,I've been up there many times.
In the conditions pictured,any optics over 1-4x are useless,and almost anyone that has any firearms/hunting knowledge should know that.
I'm not saying that a 6-24 power scope is good for every type of hunting,but I have never had a problem hunting with them from a field of view standpoint.

Hunter's that try to use their scopes for binoculars may have problems,but I only use my scopes for shooting game/targets. I have a nice set of bino's for glassing the area's that I'm hunting.

And,we have thicker stuff than that in east Texas!
North American Hunting Club

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 11-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #20

The information you posted states it is a Parallax adjustment. He is correct that having a big game scope with Parallax correction is a poor choice. How does that differ from what I said?
Mounting big varmint scopes on big game rifles is never a wise choice. I would be amazed to see such a set up on rifle used while horse packing. The sight would be impossible to transport and a snowy wet over cast day it would be ineffective. Would you post the saddle scabbard you use with those set ups?