Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   what is an optic parallax (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/what-optic-parallax-76400/)

Ultimate_sig 11-15-2012 12:45 AM

what is an optic parallax
 
I got a red dot that has sensirs on the front to eliminate reticle parrelex, but what does that mean?

Ultimate_sig 11-15-2012 12:47 AM

Sorry all in the title the "us" is supposed to be "is" but i cant fix it

jjfuller1 11-15-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1014787)
I got a red dot that has sensirs on the front to eliminate reticle parrelex, but what does that mean?

i assume you meean parrallax..
its when your target appears in front of your crosshairs, or whatever is your sighting thing. crosshairs, red dot, chevron.. any way sometimes an abject can appear to be in front of the sight. makes it hard to aim properly. .. its similiar to focus, but at the same time not really.

JonM 11-15-2012 12:53 AM

parallax is the distortion of seein n image on one plane and the cross hairs on another. this cannot happen with a red dot as they arent magnified.

to correct parallax the distance must be known to the target or a swag taken by the clarity of the image and perceived movement of the reticle on the target when properly adjusted.

there is no such thing as electronic automatic parallax adjustment sensors.

treehugger49 11-15-2012 12:55 AM

The phenomenon of parallax occurs in an optic when the image (target) is formed on a different focal plane than the reticle. When this occurs, there is an apparent shift or movement of the target relative to the reticle when the eye is moved even slightly looking through the optic.

The optic to which you refer apparently has some compensation to deal with this.

Ultimate_sig 11-15-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49
The phenomenon of parallax occurs in an optic when the image (target) is formed on a different focal plane than the reticle. When this occurs, there is an apparent shift or movement of the target relative to the reticle when the eye is moved even slightly looking through the optic.

The optic to which you refer apparently has some compensation to deal with this.

Looks like two small head lights in the front, ive never seen anything like it

TCH2FLY 11-15-2012 01:09 AM

Parallax occurs when the target image and the reticle are not focused in the same plane. This is more of an issue when the image is highly magnified. On a normal rifle scope it can be seen by moving the eye position off center (without moving the scope) and noticing the reticle will appear to shift position in relative to the target. Parallax will not occur when the images are viewed exactly down the optical axis (center) of the scope. A riflescope has either a fixed parallax (antwhere from 50-150 yds depending in the scope) or it is adjustable with a sidefocus or adjustable objective.

Differences in Red dot scopes designs can cause different types of parallax issues to occur. The issues can be minimzed using changes in the mirror system but I haven't heard or seen one that claims to use "sensors"


Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1014807)
... this cannot happen with a red dot as they arent magnified.

parallax does not require magnification and yes it does occur in red dot sights because the dot is focused at some point from zero to infinity so the only time it is truly parallax free is when the target is at the same distance


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.