What makes an ACOG scope worth $2000 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

What makes an ACOG scope worth $2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 5

Default Marine Proof.

Nuff said.
My middle brother was a Marine...destructive rascel!
I am going to work at getting one of these, heck at 50 I may never get to use it by the time I can buy, but my oldest boy will Love it!!

Funny you speak of cost and dependability. I was at the range yesterday and met up with a few guys from Southern Maine up for bear season. One was shooting a Sako, 338 Win Mag with a beautiful Stock sitting on top a lowly (some think) Bushnell 3x9. I asked were was the Leuopold? He said " I have broken every scope I have put on this rifle from recoil. The only one that has lasted is this $40 Bushnell from Wal Mart." Last hunt his scope blew and he went to wayy to get a quick replacement to hunt.

Just goes to show, $$$ doesn't always mean reliability. Good point guys.

Last edited by safedman; 08-30-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add info

Old 09-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #12

Default Good glass

The last - almost - 4 decades now, i look through scopes for a living. Like most everything in life, "you get what you pay for". And, quality optics is certainly no exception to the rule.

The average workn' guy like us, can seldom drop $3K on a Swarovski, or Zeiss. Most of us are relegated to the $500 price range, and lately, those offerings have greatly improved in quality the last few years. And, with a little searching, many of those are often at sale prices around $200. But a cheap scope, like a junk trigger; just makes you want to stay on the porch!

For example, pick up a scope and look through it normally and notice around the circumference, are the edges fuzzy, or discolored like looking through a prism or kaleidoscope; are the crosshairs blurred out at the glass's edges??? If so, that's one indication of poorly manufactured glass.

Begin a study with a Google of chromatic, and spherical aberration.

Then Google the many professional articles on what makes a quality rifle scope.

But...still, that can't stop us from dreaming and planning for that high end scope!!! Buy the very best that you can afford - till it hurts, you'll never regret it!

best always,
gpsbylleh

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #13

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedman View Post
Nuff said.
My middle brother was a Marine...destructive rascel!
I am going to work at getting one of these, heck at 50 I may never get to use it by the time I can buy, but my oldest boy will Love it!!

Funny you speak of cost and dependability. I was at the range yesterday and met up with a few guys from Southern Maine up for bear season. One was shooting a Sako, 338 Win Mag with a beautiful Stock sitting on top a lowly (some think) Bushnell 3x9. I asked were was the Leuopold? He said " I have broken every scope I have put on this rifle from recoil. The only one that has lasted is this $40 Bushnell from Wal Mart." Last hunt his scope blew and he went to wayy to get a quick replacement to hunt.

Just goes to show, $$$ doesn't always mean reliability. Good point guys.
Leuopold? There are many others, but as a Mainer or Hunter in Maine, all you guys use Leupold scopes. WTF is anyone in Maine shooting at that requires a 338 Mag? Even w/ Bear up here it does not take that much gun. So how does one blow out a scope and get a replacement that is sighted in for the hunt? Leupolds are guaranteed for life! Why toss that option? My lowly Simmons 3-9x32mm sat on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag for years, I replaced it w/ a Weaver V10 2.5-10x38mm and moved the Simmons to a Husqvarna 640 in 8x57 w/ an original side mount, it is still going strong. All most all the Bear, and Whitetail hunters I know in Maine use a 7600 w/ a 2-7x or strait 2..3x scope. .270, .308, .30-06. I am the odd one in the group. Your story just does not jive.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #14

Likes Given: 5

Story doesn't jive?? In what way?
Re-read.
Met some guys from southern Maine, one was shooting a Sako in 338, had a Bushnell on top, I asked where is the Leuopold. What does not jive?
The part he stated he has broken everything he put on it or the fact he is shooting a 338 for Bear? You would need to ask him. They were from Southern Maine, I am from Northern Maine
I use a 270 Pro Hunter with a Simmons, 3x9x50. If I could afford Leuopold it would be sitting on the top of that Pro Hunter.

I did not say he blew a scope the day I met him. I stated he told me he blew everyscope he ever put on it. Why not use the lifetime warrenty of a Leuopold?? You would have to ask him. IMHO if I blew a scope on a trip. I would buy one, take it to the nearest range or when bear hunting there is lots of woods to sight it in....sight it in and I am hunting. He can use a 338 if he wants.....His choice.
What does not jive?
Plus..some think a 7mm mag is over gunning.
Hope this clears up any questions you have.

Last edited by safedman; 09-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.