What does everyone think of the NSN version of the ACOG?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > What does everyone think of the NSN version of the ACOG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Default What does everyone think of the NSN version of the ACOG?

Its the one w/o the fiberoptic to light up the gun in daytime but still has the night time tritium.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-4x32-acog-scope-with-yellow-center-illumination-for-m4a1-ta01nsn.html?gclid=CKfEvNaw97oCFabm7AodWx0Aiw&adle ns_source=google&ef_id=UONwegAAGF@M9xat:2013112202 4759:s
Got the guy down to 700 on a one year used one..

I think for CQB a EOtech or Aimpoint might work a lot better ( I own both).

I would like to extend my reach into nighttime and distance with this unit but am loathe to lose CQB abilities...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

as an acog owner get the fiber optic version!!

that reticle shows up well keeping both eyes open and focusing on the target. the wife has an aimpoint. i find my fiber optic acog just as fast while giving me super clear magnified optic.

not a fan of amber reticle. much like red it washes out in low light (dusk/dawn) and against green backgrounds.

the green reticle is visible better against green background (surprising but true) and the morning evening light transition to day/nite

i have the green chevron which shows well when using it in a quick cqb fashion.

just my opinions others have different ones or there wouldnt be different versions of the acog

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6902 Times on 3765 Posts
Likes Given: 13627

I have one rifle with fiber optic sights and I want them on everything I own now.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 12-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #4

fellas,

what do you think of the issue that since the ACOG is still a classic 4x Optic (albeit a wide field and well illuminate done) that you still have to allign like with a traditional optic.. Unlike a redot.

With a redot or HWS I can just rip the rifle to the should an alignment or not sqeeze off the hitting shot.

What about the ACOG?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 12-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
fellas,

what do you think of the issue that since the ACOG is still a classic 4x Optic (albeit a wide field and well illuminate done) that you still have to allign like with a traditional optic.. Unlike a redot.

With a redot or HWS I can just rip the rifle to the should an alignment or not sqeeze off the hitting shot.

What about the ACOG?
you still have to get behind the sight.

plus your not going to just rip off shots and hit without proper marksmanship. that only happens in bad tv

the truth is that optics are no substitute for proper technique. speed and accurcy come with training. once you reach that ability you soon realize how limiting red dots are.

i train by doing cowboy action shooting some folks do other types of competition. shooting is shooting regardless of platform.

up to 25ish yards i dont need to use sights or optics much at all. targets past that are far enough away that the acog reticle really comes into its own. 100+ the magnification really helps.

im prolly describing it poorly

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #6

I feel very comfortable with my HWS EOtech and my Aimpoint PROs, I shoot almost every week.
I feel not having to line up perfectly for each shot gives me extra speed.

But there must be a reason the ACOG is so popular.
But if its just a straight up Optic what performance does it give me that a Nikon does not?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

simply ruggedness, clearer than crystal glass, automatic transition of the reticle to ambient light without batteries or fiddling with rheostat adjustments.

if you have the rifle in a firing position you can see the reticle. your never blinded by the reticle being too dark or invisible cuz its not bright enough. the transition speed from indoor to outside bright or bright to dark is astounding as its literally the speed of light.

you dont have to stop at the transition point and adjust brightness or continue with no reticle or a too bright reticle. thats an ENORMOUS cqb advantage. ive had mine for almost 2 years and im still amazed at its simple rugged functionality and bright/dark transitions.

its also got an incorporated bdc/rangefinder thats pretty slick

Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Thank you Jon

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Last edited by bluez; 12-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post

I think for CQB a EOtech or Aimpoint might work a lot better ( I own both).

I would like to extend my reach into nighttime and distance with this unit but am loathe to lose CQB abilities...
If you want the best of both worlds get the ACOG with the mini red dot on top. The mini dot sits a bit high, but can be acquired without totally losing your cheek weld. Or you can use a mini red dot mounted off to the side with a 45 degree clamp for CQB. I have been looking for a forward mounted optic for my Mini, but can't spend the $1500 plus that the ACOG with dot costs. So am probably gonna get an Aimpoint Patrol, although the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x Scout w/ Fire Dot for $200 more is tempting. I have the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x fire dot on my AR and really like it, lighted dot at 1.5x for close up, and 4x for longer range. It was "only" $400, but not long eye relief, so it wouldn't work on my Scout mount.

Last edited by sandog; 12-01-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 354 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Are you against using a flip to side mount magnifier for your EOTech? Right now EOTech is offering a $60 rebate on Magnifiers and HWS. Let me know if you're interested.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.