Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > What do you do when you get a new scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the issue with leupold is they are extremely pricey for what they are. high end you could get something from nightforce for less. low end you can get a better optic from nikon for less. middle ground you could get a accupoint from trijicon.
Good info, thanks. So can you recommend me a similar to this Leupold one I was thinking of buying?
I've been looking at the Leupold VX R 4-12x50mm

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-4-12x50mm-includes-metric/

(It's $820ish on their website here but I found the exact one on eBay for $620, so I'd like to stay in the $600-$700 price range)

I like that it's the variable power of 4-12, the illuminated reticle and I really like the look of 50mm even if it isn't much of a benefit.

But honestly, most important to me is durability and reliability...

Use is for hunting of course 95% of the shooting will be for fun on the range..

Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #22

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The first thing I do is look through it like a telescope and pretend I'm a pirate.

Then I get a bubble level and mount it to my rifle.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5255 Times on 2741 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Good info, thanks. So can you recommend me a similar to this Leupold one I was thinking of buying?
I've been looking at the Leupold VX R 4-12x50mm

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-4-12x50mm-includes-metric/

(It's $820ish on their website here but I found the exact one on eBay for $620, so I'd like to stay in the $600-$700 price range)

I like that it's the variable power of 4-12, the illuminated reticle and I really like the look of 50mm even if it isn't much of a benefit.

But honestly, most important to me is durability and reliability...

Use is for hunting of course 95% of the shooting will be for fun on the range..
This is my main hunting optic http://www.midwayusa.com/product/216007/trijicon-accupoint-tr20-2g-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-dual-illuminated-mil-dot-with-green-dot-reticle-matte I also use it for target shooting. I've got some 15x and one benchrest type in 42x under 500yards I tend to shoot at 5-6 power. 7 and up it stats to get real twitchy with lots of xhair bounce from heart beat and muscle movement.

I'm not a huge fan of large objectives since most are just doing it to try and compensate for crappy glass.

Ganand cabelas usually have these types of scopes in stock I would suggest going and looking through them yourself. Once you look through a trijicon or nightforce you will see why I'm recomending them.

Last deer season I would sit in the stand waaay before dawn and just with the ambient lighting I still had my green dot in the accupoint couldn't see the xhairs for crap but I was able to make out a pig pack. No moon almost no light to speam of I was able to see the big lead hog and take him out with a perfect head shot at 92 yards.

I've tried that same situation with illuminated reticles and they are just too bright for low light work. The tritium dot really makes a huge diff.

I run green dot because it works the best in low light and very bright daylight. My night forces have red illumination but I find that pretty useless for anything but a golly that's cool factor. Its the only real ding I have on those and why my next optic is going to be the 1-4x accupoint in green chevron.

The problem with second focal plane optics is you tend to have to use the highest power for ranging. Ranging at 9x isn't easy and higher powers make it harder due to xhair bounce. Its kinda why I didn't fight the wife too much when she took my nf 4.5-15 nxs. Its heavy and I never really used the higher magnification.

You can do what ya will I'm just relaying my experiences and opinions. Just go take a look in person at the optics. Most big box retail oitdoors type carry them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...