What do you do when you get a new scope? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > What do you do when you get a new scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I like purehavoc's idea. Ive been having issues latly too. lol some my fault

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #12

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I dont know what the deal is lately but with this being the 3rd one Im about 1/3 of the cost just shipping it back and forth to them . Next time Im asking for a upgrade or my money back . Hell, I have had much cheaper scopes last 15 years . This one wont seem to make it past 150 rds with 7.62X39 . Its not that hard hitting I have upped the buffer to a H2 to eliminate some of the recoil . I have a very good compensator on it that seems to work well . Maybe its time to just go back to Irons and be done on this one

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #13

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I dont know what the deal is lately but with this being the 3rd one Im about 1/3 of the cost just shipping it back and forth to them . Next time Im asking for a upgrade or my money back . Hell, I have had much cheaper scopes last 15 years . This one wont seem to make it past 150 rds with 7.62X39 . Its not that hard hitting I have upped the buffer to a H2 to eliminate some of the recoil . I have a very good compensator on it that seems to work well . Maybe its time to just go back to Irons and be done on this one
What kind of scope?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah...
Which scopes are y'all buying that are breaking down?
I'm asking because I'm looking for a scope that will last a lifetime...literally
I want an extremely durable and reliable scope...and I was hoping to do so for under $700

Is that possible?
Or are scopes that reliable much more expensive?
Or do they just simply not exist...?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Yeah...
Which scopes are y'all buying that are breaking down?
I'm asking because I'm looking for a scope that will last a lifetime...literally
I want an extremely durable and reliable scope...and I was hoping to do so for under $700

Is that possible?
Or are scopes that reliable much more expensive?
Or do they just simply not exist...?
I've had nothing but issues with leupold optics. I've had three of their very top end models go totally off the rails in less than two years of ownership. Lens delamination was the issue with two where flakes of coating turned to pepper sized granuals inside the housings. The other just stopped holding zero under recoil and transportation. The one I was really disapointed with was the mk4 3.5-15 which delaminated from use on a remington 700 in 308. The gun it was intended to reside.

Cheapest most rugged I would say is trijicon accupoint. On the very lowest end nikon african monarchs are pretty stellar mine rides on my 458 socom and 45-70 both of which are not gentle in recoil. Vortex is a great choice due to their no bs warranty and fast turn around if you have issues. If you just want a literally bomb proof shock proof optic as close to that standard as is mechanically possible that holds zero even after getting hit by sniper fire nightforce is the one.

Other brands like zeiss schmittbender etc I don't care to spend the money to test them out. I've found several brands that work extremely well.

With optics it tends to be true you get what you pay for with only a few exceptions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another thing that is important, regardless of the scope being used is to properly mount the scope. when mounting the scope, be careful to torque the rings properly so as not to distort the scope tube. distorting the scope tube will make it hard to sight in the scope as the reticle can be shfted within the tube. a torque screwdriver is the best tool to use. allows the rings to be tight enough for the scope to not shift, but notso tight as to distort the scope.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #17

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have been through one of the 3X nikon P223s , got my money back and went with a Brunton 1-4 Im now on the second one of these . I should have just bought another Nikon Monarch Africa in 1-4 and been done . I just thought I would save myself about $100 and I have spent more than half of that shipping all these turds back .
Its my own fault for being a tight ass and not going the buy once , cry once program .
I do torque them to the specs required with a inch# torque wrench so I know Im not over doing it, Hell the last one I sent back didnt even have a mark on it . It looked like it was new out of the box . I had less than 100 rounds down the pipe with it on

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-24-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really like the Leupold lineup as I found one that fits my needs, but reliability is really important to me..

So, has anyone else had any durability or reliability issues with Leopold? If so, what? And how is there warranty and customer service?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I really like the Leupold lineup as I found one that fits my needs, but reliability is really important to me..

So, has anyone else had any durability or reliability issues with Leopold? If so, what? And how is there warranty and customer service?
i know in the past when i used Leopold scopes they were top notch. doesn't mean that their quality hasn't slipped in the past years. it's possible.

and there are other good brands of scopes other than Leopold, like the Nikons. i have had very good luck out of mine.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:

the issue with leupold is they are extremely pricey for what they are. high end you could get something from nightforce for less. low end you can get a better optic from nikon for less. middle ground you could get a accupoint from trijicon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...