Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > What do you do when you get a new scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What do you do when you get a new scope?

What do you get when you get a new scope?

I was told that you want to set it at its "mechanical zero".
Which I guess is basically counting how many clicks it takes to get all the way to the top of the elevation and then counting how many clocks it takes to get all the way to the bottom and basically making sure it's right in the middle.

And then doing the same thing for the windage adjustments..

Is this really necessary? Or just take it out and zero it at whatever yardage you want it zeroed at.....?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I bore sight it and then go zero it on the range.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Liked 1729 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 366

If you set it at it's mechanical zero first and know the ammount of travel it has before you begin your zeroing, you will know how much remaining adjustment you have left in the scope. Not all mounts or predrilled holes are exactly centered and true. So zeroing adjustments amy eat up some of your total adjument that is remaining.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In other words aside from knowing the Scopes limits, complete waste of time.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4470 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Knowing where your at on the dials is a good thing.

What I do with a scope that's going to be used for longer range is to test whether it tracks true or not. I use a 40-80 inch target and adjust 2 moa each group mean poi should be the same distance each time. When it opens or closes I know where that scope stops being reliable.

I make sure the rings are smooth the mating surfaces free of dirt oil grease and everything torqued correctly using rocksett not blue locktite for fasteners.

I like using adm qd mounts because they let me change scopes from gun to gun and zero. Because I record my zeros and where mechanical zero is and the adm doesn't shift poi like a larue does (I hate larue mounts) I can freely swap optics from railed gun to railed gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

racer_x Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Knowing where your at on the dials is a good thing.

What I do with a scope that's going to be used for longer range is to test whether it tracks true or not. I use a 40-80 inch target and adjust 2 moa each group mean poi should be the same distance each time. When it opens or closes I know where that scope stops being reliable.

I make sure the rings are smooth the mating surfaces free of dirt oil grease and everything torqued correctly using rocksett not blue locktite for fasteners.

I like using adm qd mounts because they let me change scopes from gun to gun and zero. Because I record my zeros and where mechanical zero is and the adm doesn't shift poi like a larue does (I hate larue mounts) I can freely swap optics from railed gun to railed gun.
This makes much more sense.
No disrespect doc

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Mount it on my shotgun. Then I try to break it by sighting it in with slugs. If it can take a few sessions on the shotgun and not drift it's a good scope.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Anymore I throw them on the floor for a quick test run , if the reticle stays square we move on to step 2 by putting it on the mounts . Thats about how my luck has went with the last few scopes some cheaper some alot better quality and still a problem . Hopefully this one will stay zeroed if not Its going in the trash and I will call it a lesson learned .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
racer_x Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Anymore I throw them on the floor for a quick test run , if the reticle stays square we move on to step 2 by putting it on the mounts . Thats about how my luck has went with the last few scopes some cheaper some alot better quality and still a problem . Hopefully this one will stay zeroed if not Its going in the trash and I will call it a lesson learned .
I know that feeling. The only scope that I haven't broken is the one I bought recently for $10. Figures an antique Japanese scope would be the best one.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #10

Liked 1729 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
This makes much more sense.
No disrespect doc
None taken. I was not as eloquent in the full explaination as JM.