Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   What do you do when you get a new scope? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/what-do-you-do-when-you-get-new-scope-99410/)

icallshotgun88 10-23-2013 06:53 PM

What do you do when you get a new scope?

What do you get when you get a new scope?

I was told that you want to set it at its "mechanical zero".
Which I guess is basically counting how many clicks it takes to get all the way to the top of the elevation and then counting how many clocks it takes to get all the way to the bottom and basically making sure it's right in the middle.

And then doing the same thing for the windage adjustments..

Is this really necessary? Or just take it out and zero it at whatever yardage you want it zeroed at.....?

mountainman13 10-23-2013 07:00 PM

I bore sight it and then go zero it on the range.

SSGN_Doc 10-23-2013 07:01 PM

If you set it at it's mechanical zero first and know the ammount of travel it has before you begin your zeroing, you will know how much remaining adjustment you have left in the scope. Not all mounts or predrilled holes are exactly centered and true. So zeroing adjustments amy eat up some of your total adjument that is remaining.

mountainman13 10-23-2013 07:03 PM

In other words aside from knowing the Scopes limits, complete waste of time.

JonM 10-23-2013 07:18 PM

Knowing where your at on the dials is a good thing.

What I do with a scope that's going to be used for longer range is to test whether it tracks true or not. I use a 40-80 inch target and adjust 2 moa each group mean poi should be the same distance each time. When it opens or closes I know where that scope stops being reliable.

I make sure the rings are smooth the mating surfaces free of dirt oil grease and everything torqued correctly using rocksett not blue locktite for fasteners.

I like using adm qd mounts because they let me change scopes from gun to gun and zero. Because I record my zeros and where mechanical zero is and the adm doesn't shift poi like a larue does (I hate larue mounts) I can freely swap optics from railed gun to railed gun.

mountainman13 10-23-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1410981)
Knowing where your at on the dials is a good thing.

What I do with a scope that's going to be used for longer range is to test whether it tracks true or not. I use a 40-80 inch target and adjust 2 moa each group mean poi should be the same distance each time. When it opens or closes I know where that scope stops being reliable.

I make sure the rings are smooth the mating surfaces free of dirt oil grease and everything torqued correctly using rocksett not blue locktite for fasteners.

I like using adm qd mounts because they let me change scopes from gun to gun and zero. Because I record my zeros and where mechanical zero is and the adm doesn't shift poi like a larue does (I hate larue mounts) I can freely swap optics from railed gun to railed gun.

This makes much more sense.
No disrespect doc

John_Deer 10-23-2013 07:23 PM

Mount it on my shotgun. Then I try to break it by sighting it in with slugs. If it can take a few sessions on the shotgun and not drift it's a good scope.

purehavoc 10-23-2013 07:29 PM

Anymore I throw them on the floor for a quick test run , if the reticle stays square we move on to step 2 by putting it on the mounts . Thats about how my luck has went with the last few scopes some cheaper some alot better quality and still a problem . Hopefully this one will stay zeroed if not Its going in the trash and I will call it a lesson learned .

mountainman13 10-23-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1410996)
Anymore I throw them on the floor for a quick test run , if the reticle stays square we move on to step 2 by putting it on the mounts . Thats about how my luck has went with the last few scopes some cheaper some alot better quality and still a problem . Hopefully this one will stay zeroed if not Its going in the trash and I will call it a lesson learned .

I know that feeling. The only scope that I haven't broken is the one I bought recently for $10. Figures an antique Japanese scope would be the best one.

SSGN_Doc 10-23-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1410983)
This makes much more sense.
No disrespect doc

None taken. I was not as eloquent in the full explaination as JM.:D