Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Went to buy a Scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/went-buy-scope-18276/)

tomgodd 09-20-2009 01:21 AM

Went to buy a Scope

I went to by a Scope at a Retailer today. I was going to Buy a Nikkon or a leupold. I was going to spend around $500.00 Talked to the salesman and he told me to not by one of those and to buy a Zuess. Why? I have heard great things but I wanted to spend 500 not 800 so I did not buy one. He lost a sale! Probly will not go back because he was trying to push the Zuess down my throat when it was out of my budget. Are they that much better???
Thanks
Thomas

cpttango30 09-20-2009 03:05 PM

Nikon are good scopes, Leupold in the VX-III, VX-3 or above are great scopes, Ziess is a great scope that is better in some aspects than a Leupold.

If you are spending $500 on a scope DO NOT buy a Leupold. Get the Nikon, the VX-II line of scopes are not all that good in my eyes. I owned one and hated shooting with it. It was crystal clear and let in lots of light, but when I changed the power (6-18x40mm) the eye relief would change so much so that at 6x I was hanging off the back of the stock and at 18x I was riding the scope.

I traded that Leupold for a Nikon Monarch and I am in heaven. In your price range I would go with either a Bushnell elite 4200 or a Nikon Monarch Might even try looking at a Weaver grand slam or classic scope. These are all good scopes and provide a lot of options for your money.

Ziess is some of the best glass int he world. If you look at a lot of high end medical microscopes they don't come with anything other than ziess glass.

European glass offer more clarity and better light transmission than american or Japanese Glass. American glass is harder than European glass and resist scratches slightly better and can take a little more abuse. Japanese glass is up there but is not of the quality of American or European glass. It is however much less expensive than both other options.

troy2000 09-20-2009 03:22 PM

Here's a page that has a pretty good run-down on most of the popular brands of scopes:

The Shooting Sports Scope Brand Page

I'm not sure how up-to-date the info on it is, but it's an interesting overview.

canebrake 09-20-2009 03:22 PM

I've had good luck with OpticsPlanet.com:

Results for Nikon Monarch

Bushnell Elite 4200 Riflescopes FREE S&H

Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scopes

Weaver Classic Extreme Rifle Scopes FREE S&H

tomgodd 09-20-2009 05:44 PM

Thanks Guys
Thomas:D

Carne Frio 09-21-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 162500)

This company carries a very wide selection of optics (as well as other stuff)
and has the best prices and excellent customer service. I am one of their
many satisfied customers.:D

gloks4life 09-22-2009 02:07 AM

elite 4200's are great for the $$

Persuasive 09-22-2009 10:29 PM

OpticsPlanet is your best bet to get the 4200's for cheap. I just got this for my brother's M4 (hoping he will let me play with it)

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 Matte Riflescope 423944M Rifle scope FREE S&H 423944M. Bushnell Elite 4200 Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

Great customer service that wont leave you hanging. I recommend calling and checking for stock.

phrogmech 09-22-2009 11:51 PM

If your going to spend money on Ziess, check out Nightforce Scopes, US Optics, Smidt and Bender. Good Huntingl
Semper Fi.

martinclaybold 10-07-2009 05:08 AM

You could try out RifleScopePro.com. You can get a good discount on Nikon or leupold up there.