Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 Review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 Review

After the first range session with the 458 SOCOM,I decided to buy a new scope and mount for it.
The ProMag mount was never the mount of choice,but since I've had it for years,I just went ahead and used it.
Like the old mount,the Redfield scope,was just an old one that I had and just threw the two together on the 458.

Knowing the punishment that the 458 will dish out to anything mounted on it,I didn't want to spend too much on optics.But,I still wanted a quality scope with good clear glass,and decent magnification since I'll spend a lot of time with load development with this rifle.But I also wanted it to be low enough in power,so it would still be very useful for hunting hogs at night along with my ND3 laser.

Before-

After-

For a mount I went with the Burris PEPR mount,it is well made,and also comes with plain and picatinny rail top rings so you can mount accessories on top,if needed.That will work great for mounting the ND3 laser.

I decided to get the Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 with a Duplex reticle.Weaver has always built a good scope,and a tough one.The Super Slam is their top of the line,and has great features.It also has some very good Japanese glass,and the clarity is as good as scopes costing 2-3 times as much.

These scopes have some neat features.The turrets are exposed,but they cannot be moved until you pull them up/out. You can also reset zero on the turrets by unscrewing the top ring off the turret (No wrenches needed),and then lift off the center,and line up the zero with the mark on the scope.Push the center back down,and replace the top ring.It's all done!

Continued-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Turrets down-locked in place-

Turrets up-ready to be adjusted-

Turret,with top,and center ring removed-

The scope also has side focus for parallax adjustment.It turns smooth,and easily adjust focus at varying ranges.

This scope is very,very clear.I was pleasently suprised by the quality of the glass.
The turrets turn easy but firm,and have audible clicks.
I didn't do the box test,but they seemed to be very true on adjustment.

The scope has about 40moa adjustment,so it's not really a long range scope,but it has way more adjustment than I need for this rifle.

I hope it is tough enough for the punishment that the 458 SOCOM gives it,but if not,Weaver has a Lifetime warranty.

I got a great deal on this scope from Natchez Shooters Supply,They have all of the Super Slam scopes on sale,and there is also a $50 mail in rebate from Weaver,so I'll end up paying just a little more than $300 for this one.
For that price,I think your getting a great scope for the money. THB

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 09-20-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5915 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i will be interested to see how that scope holds up. my 458 has destroyed 3 so far. last one was a nikon african monarch.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i will be interested to see how that scope holds up. my 458 has destroyed 3 so far. last one was a nikon african monarch.
Me too,Jon.

I know these things are hard on optics,but hopefully it'll be a good one.Only time will tell.

I went to the range today,and it still impresses me as to the accuracy of those big bullets.
I didn't have much luck with the H4198 loads,but I shot one of the Lil Gun loads at 100yds,and had groups of .834" and .784". I feel sorry for the hogs!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5915 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

There is just something about .45x inch bullets that are crazy accurate. Ive never really come across a 45 whether its handgun or rifle that didnt shoot super well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...