Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Wear Glasses, Asking Noob Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default Wear Glasses, Asking Noob Question

As the thread title hints, I am a newbie to scopes. I had one once about 30 years ago, but it came with the rifle and my eyes were much younger.

Here's the problem. With my eyes the way they are now I am barely able to see a handgun's front sight with my street glasses. I am thinking seriously about buying a .22 WMR for target and varmint use, but I don't know if I'll be able to see the crosshairs in the scope.

The question: Are there reasonably priced scopes out there with a diopter adjustment that I can use to compensate for my vision?

I can't tell you what kind of rifle yet. Until I find out if I will be able to use a scope I am holding off on buying anything, but it will be a bolt action something or other.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Yes, there are- what is your vision problem, and how bad? There ARE limits of adjustment on scopes.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #3

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

I am very nearsighted, bu i have never encountered any problems with any of my scopes with or without my glasses.

the scope's magnification seems to correct any visual deficiences.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have a wife that is legally blind and one son that is close to it. My wife can damn near out shoot me with my 22.

Head to a gun shop, explain your concern to the man behind the counter, and ask to look through near everything they have till you find what looks best.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #5

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I have a wife that is legally blind and one son that is close to it. My wife can damn near out shoot me with my 22.

Head to a gun shop, explain your concern to the man behind the counter, and ask to look through near everything they have till you find what looks best.
What He Said.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yes, there are- what is your vision problem, and how bad? There ARE limits of adjustment on scopes.
I'm becoming farsighted in my right eye, which is also my dominant eye. At this stage it is correctable without using the bottom of Coke bottles for lenses.

My left has a wicked astigmatism and is also becoming more farsighted, but I'm guessing that shouldn't be a factor for the scope question.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post

Good advice. If you don't mind my asking, is there a certain style of scope that works best for your wife and son? At this point I'm guessing I should be easy to correct for, but the rate of advance on my farsightedness is supposedly faster than normal. I would like to spend the money once and get something that will last through the changes. Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I've been nearsighted about 50yrs & can't wear contacts-
About all i can tell you is that some scopes i can with no problem with them on--Some i have to remove them-- Something to do with quality of scope? I've never really thought about it -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
I've been nearsighted about 50yrs & can't wear contacts-
About all i can tell you is that some scopes i can with no problem with them on--Some i have to remove them-- Something to do with quality of scope? I've never really thought about it -
I cant wear contacts e ither ,to drunk to put em in, always pokin my eye

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I cant wear contacts e ither ,to drunk to put em in, always pokin my eye
I been shot, cut, beat dam near to death but try to put something even close to my eye & another fight starts right then

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

W. C. Quantrill Likes This