Warning on shipping optics to Canada!!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Warning on shipping optics to Canada!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Warning on shipping optics to Canada!!!!!

It appears that the USPS and US Customs do not have the same rules for shipment of Optics to Canada.

If you use PayPal or Click-n-Ship to create a paid label, part of the process is checking off a box confirming that you are not shipping and prohibited or restricted items as defined here:

Canada

But not so fast. I had a scope being shipped to Canada seized by our stalwart Homeland Security guys (US Customs) because they claim I needed an export license for it.

After hours on the phone (all you get is "we're to busy to talk to you" recordings), I handed it off to my US Senator. Doubt I'll ever see the scope as it will probably be "sold" at some Customs Auction held at 2 AM on Christmas Eve.

The meaning of those bumper stickers "I love my country, but fear my government" is getting more clear!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Just as firearms are restricted in export, so are optics for a firearm. I do hope this was not a lot of money, because I don't think you will see that one again.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
It appears that the USPS and US Customs do not have the same rules for shipment of Optics to Canada.

If you use PayPal or Click-n-Ship to create a paid label, part of the process is checking off a box confirming that you are not shipping and prohibited or restricted items as defined here:

Canada

But not so fast. I had a scope being shipped to Canada seized by our stalwart Homeland Security guys (US Customs) because they claim I needed an export license for it.

[COLOR="Blue"]How about a little more information on this. What type of scope and how advanced (ie, IR ect.)? Was this a commercial shipment or a private shipment? Was this item on the Department of State prohibited list for shipment outside of the US? [/COLOR

After hours on the phone (all you get is "we're to busy to talk to you" recordings), I handed it off to my US Senator. Doubt I'll ever see the scope as it will probably be "sold" at some Customs Auction held at 2 AM on Christmas Eve.

Sarcasm noted, and just because you did not get to do what you wanted does not mean CBP was wrong.

The meaning of those bumper stickers "I love my country, but fear my government" is getting more clear!

Oh and by the way, just because you can buy something in the US on our free market does not mean you can just ship it to anywhere in the world you want.

I will wait for your response and if you give me the particulars of the scope and it’s end destination I’ll tell you ether why it was seized or I will tell you that CBP made a mistake. Ether way I will clear this up for you.

Scubie

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #4

Default I know why it was seized.

Because of an OAS treaty to stop inter-country illegal weapons trade THAT
lead to the "Firearms Convention" That
lead to Commerce putting out regs requiring export licenses for optics (That are NOT included in the treaty or firearms convention) THAT
lead to Customs seizing (stealing) my 20 year old M8 6X and demanding a ransom equal to its full value.

BTW, Canada, NEVER signed the fooking treaty and their Customs could give a rat's azz about anyone shipping scopes into Canada!

Welcome to "Change we can believe in!"

No, I may never see the scope but I WILL spend $1000.00 sending registered letters to every member of Congress having anything to do with Commerce or Customs, as well as the President, VP, Secretaries of Homeland Security and Commerce, the Postmaster General, all my Wyoming Congress folks, the NY Times, The Wall ST Journal, The Casper Star, Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck. This deluge of mail will continue until the scope is returned or I am dead.

These petty menial functionaries are going to learn they work for us, we are not serfs in some new version of Stalinist Russia!

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look Brandy, instead of a rambling rant against the Government will you please answer my questions.

1. What kind of scope, manufacture, model number?
2. Was this a private or commercial sale?
3. How did you word the customs form on the box?

As I stated before, I will research the seizure and tell you exactly why it was seized or if CBP made a mistake. If you don’t want answers and just want to rant and rave then please go somewhere else.

Scubie

Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Brandy I would listen to the man named Scubie. He does work for CBP. He can get you answers and get them quick.

Try being a little less confrontational and just answer the mans questions.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #7

Leupold M8 6X std CH, 20 years old
Private sale
Customs form worded EXACTLY as the description on Ebay. Leupold M8 6X etc

Customs is out of control, harassing old men selling scopes to lady in Canada to give to her husband to HUNT with.

Meanwhile illegals pour over our borders, drugs are wrecking our kids, terrorist are sending bombs to the USA by UPS, BUT some menial functionary in Chicago will no doubt get promoted because she caught this evil old man sending a scope to Canada, whom BTW doesn't give a rat's azz about scopes coming into their country and they not did even they sign the stupid treaty.

"That government is best that governs least."

"I have not yet begun to fight."

Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brandy, Scubie will attempt to answer your questions, but since you were not able to answer his questions until tonight, you will have to wait about 2 weeks. He will be out of the country until the middle of November. I will not let him forget about it when he gets back.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
Leupold M8 6X std CH, 20 years old
Private sale
Customs form worded EXACTLY as the description on Ebay. Leupold M8 6X etc

Customs is out of control, harassing old men selling scopes to lady in Canada to give to her husband to HUNT with.

Meanwhile illegals pour over our borders, drugs are wrecking our kids, terrorist are sending bombs to the USA by UPS, BUT some menial functionary in Chicago will no doubt get promoted because she caught this evil old man sending a scope to Canada, whom BTW doesn't give a rat's azz about scopes coming into their country and they not did even they sign the stupid treaty.

"That government is best that governs least."

"I have not yet begun to fight."
Good lord man you need to relax.

We have a man that is willing to help you and all you can do is bash the outfit he works for. Your lucky it was not me I would not be so nice. I would have just told you to go piss up a rope.

You need to face the fact that you didn't follow the rules and you got caught. It is your fault and your fault alone that you are out the scope and the money for the scope. If you would have checked about shipping a scope to canada and done some more calling or research you would have found that you couldn't do this and then you would've been OK.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #10

Default Your right: I didn't follow the rules LOL of course

NOBODY at the GD Post Office who took the packge, insured it and put tracking on it know a GD thing about the rules as they are buried in an obscure Commerce Department regulation that SIX yes SIX employees of the Commerce Department agreed was A) almost impossible to find, B) STUPID, C) not the intent of the Firearms Convention and D) a waste of time given the REAL threats facing us today.

Can anyone be so naive to think that US Customs does anything to protect us ?
Heck, their agency, Homeland Security (a real oxymoron) can't even keep
underware bombers off planes, can't keep people from almost killing 100s in Times Square, can't close our borders to 1000s of illegals and terrorists BUT are real good at taking away toothpaste from travelers.

Does anyone doubt that IF licensed handgun owners could carry concealed on planes that 9/11 NEVER would have happened and we would not be subject to all this stupidity, intrusion and, as usual closing the door after the horse has gone to join Al-Qaeda ? The last El Al plane was hijacked when ??? LOLx10.

As someone said the world is made up of Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs.

I am hearing a lot of "Ba Ba".

It may be 1788, it may be 1938 but is sure is not 1958!