Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > VX R review?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm looking into buying a Leupold VX R And I'm wondering who here has owned one and what your experience with it was...

I've heard mixed reviews about Leupolds in general.

For one, I've heard they aren't worth the money (over priced basically)

Two, some may durability/reliability issues... And I'd like to say that durability is the #1 thing I look for in a scope. Are Leupolds rugged? And we're those thins I'm hearing just the typical 1% of manufactured goods that have problems?

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 11-09-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #2

Oh, an how does the VX R line compare to the VX3 series?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1461 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 733

One of the best scopes I've ever had, with the Fire Dot. May not be Army rugged, but for sports and hunting, hooray.

Can't compare to the VX-3, but I'd want the Fire Dot anyway. Both of my Leupolds have it.

Last edited by Mercator; 11-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
One of the best scopes I've ever had, with the Fire Dot. May not be Army rugged, but for sports and hunting, hooray. Can't compare to the VX-3, but I'd want the Fire Dot anyway. Both of my Leupolds have it.
I'm new to scopes...
Which scopes would you consider "Army rugged"?

Not that I'm going to war with it, but I want to buy ONE scope and have it last me a lifetime...if that's even possible

Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I'm new to scopes...
Which scopes would you consider "Army rugged"?

Not that I'm going to war with it, but I want to buy ONE scope and have it last me a lifetime...if that's even possible
A Steiner. That's 2K or so.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

personally not a fan of leupold. at all. mainly because of shoddy construction. ive had some that refuse to hold zero, pieces of the scope break up on normal use and pepper the lenses inside with debris.

my preferred optics come from nikon, trijicon, nightforce, vortex.

the nikon african monarchs are pretty tough and take extended use on hard recoil calibers like 458 socom, 458 lott, 458 winmag, 45-70 very well.

best of em are the nightforce but they are very pricey and im not a fan of most of their reticle offerings for 1-4x scopes.

trijicon has the best of the lot for a good 1-4 in their accupoint line and not much beats the acog in a fixed power model.

vortex are decent but much like nightforce they are focused on reticles that are too "busy" for my tastes in a 1-4x

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

One Leupold that I used to have did acquire a tiny black "spider" at 2 o'clock, apparently on the inside. It was a 1.5-4x compact but not VX-R (I hate their alphabet soup)

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88
I'm looking into buying a Leupold VX R And I'm wondering who here has owned one and what your experience with it was...

I've heard mixed reviews about Leupolds in general.

For one, I've heard they aren't worth the money (over priced basically)

Two, some may durability/reliability issues... And I'd like to say that durability is the #1 thing I look for in a scope. Are Leupolds rugged? And we're those thins I'm hearing just the typical 1% of manufactured goods that have problems?
The gold ring leupolds have a life time warranty. I just put one on my Browning X bolt. The fit and finish is fantastic. Haven't had a chance to run it yet though
image-381426497.jpg  

Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Leupold refused to fix my mk4 cqb scope because its electronic. According to the rep I talked to. Nothing wrong with the electrics it just won't hold zero. Even the slightest vibration knocks the reticle off. They have offered to fix my vx7 but I haven't bothered sending it off as I won't put it on another gun. At some point I will get around to that and then sell it.

I think the downturn in quality coincides directly with their merger with redfield.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Leupold refused to fix my mk4 cqb scope because its electronic. According to the rep I talked to. Nothing wrong with the electrics it just won't hold zero. Even the slightest vibration knocks the reticle off. They have offered to fix my vx7 but I haven't bothered sending it off as I won't put it on another gun. At some point I will get around to that and then sell it.

I think the downturn in quality coincides directly with their merger with redfield.
Was the mount solid? Any add on pieces?