Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Vortex vs. Leupold vs. Bushnell vs. NIkon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Dont get me wrong nikon are good scopes not great but good, but by no means would I believe nikon has better quality control than the others, such as ziess, vortex, leupold
Why don't you believe nikon has better quality control than the others?Just curious.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #22
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Nikon makes nice optics,but the lense coatings they use are quite dark compared to a lot of other brands.That really shows up at dawn/dusk while hunting.It can be light enough to see an animal,but it will be almost completely dark when you look thru the scope.

Vortex seems to have really jumped on the band wagon the last couple years,there are a lot of guy's that are getting them.I've looked at the Viper line,but wasn't really impressed with them.The Viper PST is supposed to be a great scope,but I haven't ever been able to find any dealer that has one to look at.

Leupold scopes are great optics,but they need to price them about half of what they price them for.Yeah,they have a great warranty,but so does just about everyone else,so they need to quit charging people for their name on the scope.

Bushnell has a few scopes in the Elite 6500 series that are great,but Bushnell Customer service would keep me from buying one.If you have a problem,they can be a real PIA to deal with.

Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes are excellent scopes,with great Japanese glass.I put a 3-15x50 Super Slam on my 458 SOCOM,and I'm pleasantly surprised with all the things this scope has and does.Now if it will just hold up to the punishment of the 458,but it also has a lifetime warranty.

The Zeiss Conquest is also another excellent scope,and is one of the clearest and brightest scopes you'll ever find.They are great hunting scopes,but most lack the adjustment range to work for guy's that shoot long range because they use 1" tubes on them.They offer some long range reticles,but they are very busy to look at,and to me it would really get in the way if used for hunting.

Right now,Sightron gets all of my business.The SIII line is probably the best scope on the market in the under $1000 range.The quality and clarity of the glass will run right with scopes costing twice as much.They run right with my Swarovski Pro Hunter,but only come in Second focal plane reticles.Some guys prefer First focal plane scopes,but I have both and can use either one just fine.The Sightron SII scopes are also great scopes,and are almost just as good as the SIII's,but use 1" tubes and most have an Adjustable Objective lense instead of Side Focus-some of them do have Side Focus though.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Generally you get what you are willing to pay for. I agree with brandy that most hunters are just as well off with a lower priced scope for the purpose they are used for. I am sure some of them are quite good. Two of my Burris scopes certainly fit the purpose for heavy woods hunting with their clarity and heavy thick reticles.
However, for long range precision shooting I am sold on Nightforce. Other shooters in our group use scopes that are even pricier than the NF, but for my limited ability and aged eyes I am satisfied.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i have had a leupold gold ring 3x9 for twenty years and have never had one problem with it . i've pulled it up many a tree and rode on a 4 wheeler for many a deer hunts and it has heald up great . richone

Old 03-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #25

Check out the SWFA "Super Sniper" scopes as well. I've been hearing good things from them. Glowing reviews even. I've ordered a 3x9 42mm and will give them a go. Their feature / price point is hard to beat and they're made in Japan.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the Vortex PST 1X4 and I just love it . It caust about $500 but it is great on my AR.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #27

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My Leupold prices are too low to print. If anyone wants a quote, please email me the Leupold part number to: donnie@bigrivertactical for a price and availability. I also have great prices on Bushnell, Nikon, Trijicon, Sightron, etc.

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

all i can say is that i have had this leupold gold ring 3x9 on my .270 rem. bolt action close to 25 years and not one problem with the scope are the weapon. i guess i lucked up when i got that pair . never regreated that buy . taken many a deer from 10 yards out to 250 yards ,

Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5130 Times on 2925 Posts
Likes Given: 4339

I have no experience with Vortex, but you can't go wrong with Leupold or Nikon as long as you avoid their "economy" lines.

A Leupold Gold Ring or a Nikon Monarch is as good as it gets in medium priced scopes. I slightly prefer the Nikon, but they're both excellent.

Unfortunately, the top end scopes have priced themselves out of the market for average folks.

I dearly love my older Swarovski and Schmidt & Binder, but they are no longer in a price range that I'm willing to pay. Even if I won the Powerball, I don't think I'd pay $3500 for a scope. It would violate my Scottish heritage!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i like tasco for a hunting scope they hold zero and are tuff had a 3-10x50 on a 223 and droped it on ice didnt lose zero and is around 60 bucks good for hunting but dont know about long range target

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.